PDA

View Full Version : Cattlemen to Shoot Down Drones

Flying Binghi
31st Mar 2013, 05:01
More things for the heli mustering chaps to avoid.

More targets for the heli shooters to practise on..:E

Farming bodies have criticised an animal welfare group's plan to use a drone to film farming practices on properties around Australia, with one saying the drone would be shot down.

Animal Liberation has purchased a surveillance drone equipped with a powerful camera.

The group says the drone can film from as low as 10 metres above the ground to gather potential evidence of animal abuse.

Spokesman Mark Pearson says the practice will not contravene trespass or privacy laws...

Animal welfare group to monitor farms with drone - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-31/animal-welfare-group-to-monitor-farms-with-drone/4602644)

VH-XXX
31st Mar 2013, 05:19
A little bit of poetic licence with the 10 metre figure!

Capn Bloggs
31st Mar 2013, 06:45
the practice will not contravene trespass or privacy laws...

Not yet. Will the libbos allow video recordings of their meetings?

Kodachrome
31st Mar 2013, 07:04
If a farmer shot a drone that was flying low over his farm I wonder whether the cops could charge him for destruction of property.

Flying Binghi
31st Mar 2013, 07:10
What property ? didn't see anything...:)

airwolf117
31st Mar 2013, 07:19
I find this very odd, as beef cattle in Australia generally run wild until they are mustered, yarded up and then trucked / put into different paddocks,

Working on a station myself, I'm not sure how a drone would really go unnoticed and, more importantly, how it would actually be of any use.

The only time I could see it being useful is during large-scale sales, but realistically you could just walk around and observe on the ground!

Btw, this drone thing has PETA written all over it!

truthinbeer
31st Mar 2013, 07:26
...thought it was a crow.

Super Cecil
I wonder how their going with the AOC application? :rolleyes:

Andy_RR
Shooting it down would be criminal damage and counterproductive. Better to errect some lightweight fishing nets vertically across the cattle yards to get the PETAcopter all strung up. Then the do-gooders can come ask for it back again...

31st Mar 2013, 07:56
Would Peta pay compo for any livestock that were spooked and injured?

Now that would be interested. Peta video of cattle, horses or sheep spooked by a drone getting shown 4 corners.

I think not. Would not suit 4c agenda.

The Green Goblin
31st Mar 2013, 08:02
Even if they did shoot it down, unless there is proof, they can't do a thing. Especially if the drone disappears :)

I doubt they would receive permission to go on the property and retrieve it :hmm:

drpixie
31st Mar 2013, 08:27
Take care - the drone will be streaming live video back to a computer for recording.

Of course, that means there would be someone within (short) radio range with a computer. Now maybe they would be trespassing ?

sablatnic
31st Mar 2013, 08:53
I'd call it pest control.

Hydromet
31st Mar 2013, 09:28
Better to errect some lightweight fishing nets vertically across the cattle yards to keep the blowflies out. Fixed it for you.:=

Frank Arouet
31st Mar 2013, 09:50
Local gliding club have a fly neighbourly attitude in that they avoid spooking the local Orstrich/ Emu farm who panic when they see a giant Hawk and run to a corner where they smother each other. Dead birds mean lots of insurance claims.

Many indiginees claim not only the oceans where they fish, but the airspace above them. See the fly neighbourly requirements at, dare I say it, Ayres rock.

Reminds me of a black hang glider who used to fly abouts here. Bloke shot it thinking it was a giant Crow and it released the bloke it had flown off with.

Poor bugga never made it unfortunately, but the Crow speared in.

The God's must be crazy!

my oleo is extended
31st Mar 2013, 11:19
And here I was thinking that there is nothing more satisfying than taking out a Crow from 200 yards, but a Drone, now that sounds like a superb challenge!

Could one assume that CASA will be purchasing an arsenal of drones to be used for surveilling naughty outback farmers not placing their logbooks in their R22's prior to aerial mustering? Perhaps CASA drones will surveil the farmers fuel drum storage area to ensure it is free from containments and correct signage is in place?

Personally I reckon it is time to load up the 223 or 22/250 and blow a few drones away. Besides if you get caught the jail sentence will be less for a drone than for a crow!

slice
31st Mar 2013, 12:28
Drone hunting - a new sport for the 21st century!:E

Hasherucf
31st Mar 2013, 13:21
Crows seem smart , never can see one when you got the gun handy .

How about mounting a gun on the drone .... works for the US ;-) Then the arms race begins . Would be great if we could cull feral camels , goats , buffalo etc with drones . Sure we could charge the general public to drive them as some sort of live gaming experience :ok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

Wally Mk2
31st Mar 2013, 14:11
There's more than one way to skin a drone. These flying contraptions like all remote devices are controlled thru a particular channel of the radio wave spectrum. Someone will find out what freq they are controlled on & make something to jam it then it will be open drone hunting season with a specific broad band freq swamp TX:-)
Foxes are about $10 bucks a head what's a drone worth?:E

I'm into radio controlled toy planes/heli's & I would love the chance to chase one of these things around the sky:ok:

Bring it on am sure the farmers would love to shoot something like an 'aerial inspector'!:-):)

'hash' love the YouTube link, thnxs:ok:

Wmk2

my oleo is extended
31st Mar 2013, 21:10
I dare them to fly one over Bob Katters property!

evansb
31st Mar 2013, 21:15
There have been successful prosecutions of poachers using footage from drones as evidence (even after the poachers shot the drone down).

metalman2
31st Mar 2013, 21:46
Mmmmmmm this will be interesting , sounds like fun though, will need some way of identifying the buggers , could be a few jabirus and CT2K's in the sights otherwise!
Ballistics will be a worry unless you bring it down and retrieve any rounds ,,,, oh and smile for the camera if its still kicking

Mr.Buzzy
1st Apr 2013, 01:46
Given the massive areas of most of these cattle stations, I'd guess that any surveillance would have to involve a much higher altitude machine than your average garden variety RC / autonomous type amateur device; in which case the wild west idea of "shootin' it down if its on me land" is a wild west fantasy at best.
What would they do if the libbos decided to fly a 172 around? Shoot it down maybe? I hear Jim-Bob is pretty sharp with a sling-shot.....

bbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

my oleo is extended
1st Apr 2013, 02:02
No no no Buzzy, 172's are strictly off limits to the target shooters, as are R22's and R44's. One must not cross the boundary. But I think the Drones may be fair game. It would be good to see fixed speed cameras included on a 'prey list' but I don't think we will see that happen any time soon. I can see potential for a cult following on Poohtube of drones getting taken out, I reckon the next year of two will see some naughty shenanigans for certain.

Now, lets forget AUS for a wee moment, what about the land of Uncle Sam? Is a drone, other than used by military, a breach of civil rights? I would like to see a Texan farmers reaction to an annoying drone! What about the good ol boys of the Louisiana swamps? Surely they would take out a drone and probably try to eat it as well!

mickjoebill
1st Apr 2013, 02:25
This doesn't add up.
Just how big and expensive is this drone??

The control range of non-military size drones is very limited.

Whilst the control range be souped up for use in the outback, the operator would still have to be within a few kilometers of the craft and on public property to operate it or be threatened with trespass.

Unless the camera is a very powerfull it will have to be flown low to get a good shot, flying low will risk losing the control signal.

Cheap electric multi rotor drones have endurance measured in minutes.
Longer endurance gas powered are only available in conventional configuration (not multi rotor) and require very skilled operators. They are far noiser and not suitable for surveillance work unless they can be flown out of earshot at lets say +3000 feet.

At this height you would need a large drone with a +$200k stabilised camera system to shoot closeup of cattle.

A 24 megapixel still camera is do-able to show building layout and ground conditions.

What is the subject matter precisly?

The history of similar drone operations would suggest that they will crash of their own accord within a few months. No intervention required.

Question is will they have the funds to continue?

Mickjoebill

Lodown
1st Apr 2013, 02:44
The small drones (<3kg) are quite capable of flying for 15 minutes or more. At 30-40 mph, that gives them a range of 8-10 miles round trip and are very quiet. They can be programmed for flight paths using GPS with very inexpensive equipment. They can also be programmed on loss of signal to fly to a particular altitude and return to home. They are a huge concern for counter-terrorist operations in the US. Even a small one can carry a deadly package of C4. Just program the flightpath, let it go and drive away. They've been operated without permission near roller coasters and almost anywhere else you can think of. You could imagine a passenger on a roller coaster smacking into a drone or an aircraft ingesting one. No wonder farmers are increasingly hesitent to allow anyone on their property.

Capn Bloggs
1st Apr 2013, 02:57
C'mon Bingi, I thought you'd be right on top of the latest drone tech, especially WRT use of GPS. Looks like we'll be relying on Lodown from now on! :8

Scion
1st Apr 2013, 05:09
is todays date at all significant?

Trojan1981
1st Apr 2013, 06:24
Some ultra-lefty must have come up with this after a heavy drinking session with his deluded mates in Pyongyang.

Nothing smaller than a ScanEagle will be effective in this role, and they are remarkably easy to jam with off the shelf technology. For anything bigger, you need an AOC and $millions X multiple, or some kind of expensive lease agreement.

Not going to happen.

With regard to shooting them down; after the first half a dozen are destroyed the police will put it on the back-burner (police presence in most of these areas is already overstretched) and the lefties will run out of donations. Game over.

Sunfish
1st Apr 2013, 07:05
I think a .17 HMR would do a good job and be undetectable. ,223 waste of good ammunition.

Just throw the remains of the drone over the fence.

Its not you fault if a drone gets in the way of a legal shot or ricochet when you are aiming for a Fox or rabbit.

Be aware that there are very large fines for jamming GPS and rightly so.

I would think that the green targets would be feedlots and piggeries. In any case the Monahs University Cowcare and pig care programs empasize that treating your animals well increases growth rates and profits by about 10%, so only a moron would mistreat animals/

sprocket check
1st Apr 2013, 08:28
There's more than one way to skin a drone. These flying contraptions like all remote devices are controlled thru a particular channel of the radio wave spectrum. Someone will find out what freq they are controlled on & make something to jam it then it will be open drone hunting season with a specific broad band freq swamp TX:-)
Foxes are about $10 bucks a head what's a drone worth?

I'm into radio controlled toy planes/heli's & I would love the chance to chase one of these things around the sky

Bring it on am sure the farmers would love to shoot something like an 'aerial inspector'!:-)

easily done.

MakeItHappenCaptain
1st Apr 2013, 11:08
Crows seem smart , never can see one when you got the gun handy .

But they can't count.

Two of you walk towards the hen house, crows all fly away, two of you enter the hen house, crows observe, one of you leave the hen house, crows think, "Goody, goody, gumdrops!"

Crows fly back down towards henhouse..." Oh FARRRKKK!!!":E

500N
1st Apr 2013, 23:30
US manufacturer brings civilian anti-drone ammo to market

12 ga - 3" Uranium Drone Load - Low Recoil - 1 3/8 oz - Tacnition - 5 Rounds (http://www.luckygunner.com/12ga-3-uranium-drone-load-tacnition-5-rounds)

12 ga - 3" Uranium Drone Load - 1 3/8 oz - Tacnition - 5 Rounds
Quantity:270
$17.76
$3.55 per round

Quick Overview

A first of its kind ammunition to help protect you and your family from unwanted surveillance.

Details

Big Brother is watching, and with modern technology, if Big Brother can see it, he can turn it into a giant smoking crater with just the press of a button. Even your secret remote wilderness bunker is no match for today’s military drones. In partnership with Tacnition Ammo, Lucky Gunner is happy to introduce a new way for you to fight back against the All Seeing Eye with our new anti-drone shotgun loads.
Years of research and development have gone into these highly effective 12 gauge shells that can turn even Joe Biden’s double barrel shotgun into an instant anti-aircraft platform. Specially formulated propellant is capable of launching 9 pellets of depleted uranium rounds up to 1 km straight up into the air. With accurate shot placement, this armor piercing buckshot will disable vital systems on modern military drones. At minimum, the force of impact will disable navigation systems, but in over 60% of our field tests, the drones were incapable of remaining airborne after contact with our Anti-Drone Loads.
NOTE: Drone Loads are intended for entertainment use only and not intended to be used in any manner not in accordance with federal and local laws. Lucky Gunner assumes no responsibility for any illegal activity involving Tacnition Drone Ammo.
Additional Information

Manufacturer Tacnition
Condition new
Bullet Weight 1-3/8 oz
Bullet Type Depleted Uranium Buckshot
Ammo Casing Not Applicable
Quantity 5
Ammo Caliber 12 Gauge
Manufacturer SKU 4-1-2013
Primer Type Not Applicable
Shell Length 3"
Muzzle Velocity (fps) No
Muzzle Energy (ft lbs) No
Cost Per Round $3.55 per round

De_flieger
2nd Apr 2013, 00:36
What day was it yesterday - today in the USA - 500N?;)

500N
2nd Apr 2013, 00:51
"What day was it yesterday"

A day for having a laugh and practising shooting down drones
via high flying clay targets :O ;)

thorn bird
2nd Apr 2013, 07:06
Good grief...I can see it now.
Weary pilot returns home...
wife: " Hi honey how was your day?"
Hubby: "Absolute hell!! Flak was that heavy you could get out and walk on it!!!"

Delta_Foxtrot
2nd Apr 2013, 08:21
capable of launching 9 pellets of depleted uranium rounds up to 1 km straight up into the air

Must be some sort of high performance round to go 1000 metres (~3300 feet) straight up. When I learned my tactical flying stuff in helos, the belief was that you were safe from small arms fire above 1500 feet AGL. New propellant? Longer barrels? Vivid imagination? 1 April?:E

D_F

poteroo
2nd Apr 2013, 08:42
Anyone in control of a UAV,('drone'), requires PPL theory and possibly an ASIC - anyway, enough that CASA knows all the 'legal' operators. So, presumably the Greens/PETA/whoever will be doing this legally which means their operators will be identifiable.

Enter CAR 157........ not below 500ft over anyones' property without written permission. Without this, and a complaint to CASA should see them grounded. I'd say that anyone with any intensive animal production facility should place a public notice in the Australian (?), to the effect that no low flying permissions exist or will be given over the property, and that frequent shooting may take place over said property for the purpose of pest control and that this notice is solely for the protection of the public.

happy days,

500N
2nd Apr 2013, 11:18
Delta

"1 April?http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif"

:ok: