PDA

View Full Version : Data label format for Garmin TIS display on a Garmin G500H via ARINC 429

Afolt
30th Mar 2013, 10:06
I initially posted the question below under a different topic but got no relies. Hopefully there is somebody out there who can provide us with the information required.

We are using a Triadis Floice system which can receive other Flarm traffic. Linked to a Garrecht TRX-1090 the traffic information gets mixed together with mode-S ADS-B extended squitter and can be displayed on any Garmin TIS compatible display with a RS232 interface.

Unfortunately the Garmin G500H in our helicopter is only accepting ARINC 429 and not RS232 as source for traffic information. We know that probably the following labels on the RS232 are used for the TIS.

Absolute Traffic:

$PGAV5,<age_of_position_data>,<hexaddress>,<lat>,< lon>,<gnssAlt>,<baroAlt>,<flightid>,<track>,<groun dspeed>,<verticalspeed>,<rssi>,<category>,<dataSou rce>,<rssiDistance>,<ageMDS>,<ageVelocity>,<agePos ition>,<squawk>*<nmeachecksum>

Relative Traffic:

$PFLAU,<RX>,<TX>,<GPS>,<Power>,<AlarmLevel>,<Relat iveBearing>,<AlarmType>,<RelativeVertical>,<Relati veDistance>,<ID>

The challenge is now to specify the exact ARINC labels (probably label 735) used by the Garmin G500H to display traffic. We have found a company that can program a converter to translate the data labels but we need to specify them first. Garmin is not willing to give us any information as the Flarm is not officially supported equipment. We could purchase a commercial TAS or TCAS but would still miss out on all the numerous gliders equipped with Flarm in the Swiss mountains.

Does anyone know the exact labels used by the Garmin G500H for traffic display? Thanks in advance.

wigglyamp
30th Mar 2013, 12:54
The G500H STC certification would be invalidated if you connect a non-TSO'd traffic system such as Flaarm or TIS-B.

Even if you did sort a 429-232 interface converter, you would miss loads of traffic as most aircraft even with Mode S don't have ADS-B OUT so aren't transmitting their position data. For aircraft with just Mode A/C transponders, you'd have no way of seeing them at all. If you have a GNS430W/530W driving the G500H, then you could put put RS232 traffic on one of those and put a certified TAS (Garmin GTS or Avidyne TAS 6xx) onto the G500H in 429. This way you get the best of both systems. You'd still not have a legal traffic display on the GNS. If you gave Garmin GTN650/750 instead of GNS430W/530W then unfortunately the above won't work as they only accept 429 traffic as well.

shanvy
30th Mar 2013, 13:00
Anyone know when Google Translate is introducing its Aviation option?

Afolt
30th Mar 2013, 13:12
Thank you for the idea with the GNS430 which is in fact what we are using. I do understand the legal issues and the problem EASA has with non-certified equipment. I flew without FLARM for years and never thought it was really a problem. This perception changed drastically however since I get to hear all the aural alerts of proximate traffic that I never even noticed in the past. It would just be nice to have them displayed somewhere as well.

I guess it will only be a matter of time until all air traffic has to broadcast ADS-B out and FLARM will be replaced.

przemekmac
16th Feb 2017, 12:08
Hi. I have question:
Absolute Traffic:

$PGAV5,<age_of_position_data>,<hexaddress>,<lat>,< lon>,<gnssAlt>,<baroAlt>,<flightid>,<track>,<groun dspeed>,<verticalspeed>,<rssi>,<category>,<dataSou rce>,<rssiDistance>,<ageMDS>,<ageVelocity>,<agePos ition>,<squawk>*<nmeachecksum>

Relative Traffic:

$PFLAU,<RX>,<TX>,<GPS>,<Power>,<AlarmLevel>,<Relat iveBearing>,<AlarmType>,<RelativeVertical>,<Relati veDistance>,<ID>

Are Garmin TIS-A frames?
I'm looking way to display on 696 traffic but can't find anything about TIS-A protocol details.