PDA

View Full Version : What next.....??

FlyHome
30th Mar 2013, 01:27
Hi guys,

I was looking for a bit of advice regarding my situation...

Some would regard me as extremely fortunate in that, when I finished flight school, through some very helpful contacts that I had, I managed to secure a job flying the Airbus as a cadet abroad. It was complete pot luck and an amazing opportunity for a low hour guy, until, the company recently went bankrupt. Unfortunately this has left me in a really hard place with only 230 hours on type and around 500 total time.

At the moment I am back at home and have taken a job washing aircraft to pay the bills but it's part time and not something I can do for too long as its unreliable. I am trying to work out how best to proceed with what I've got - There is no way I can afford to pay some dodgy company for hours first of all. Some of my peers have done that but I just can't see how it helps in the long run, especially in terms of the standard that the companies train you to. Obviously in an ideal world some magical airbus job will pop up but I don't hold out much hope.

The worst thing is about the situation is that I have skipped the stages that it seems most normal pilots go through - ie, instructing, turboprops etc etc. Actually I had my heart set on instructing before this airbus job came around and would have loved to have done it (Not that I'm not grateful for the opportunity I had!). Is it still a possibility or will most flying clubs not touch me with a barge pole now that I have the airbus rating and hours on type?

Basically what I'm asking is it it better to take a few steps back and start from the bottom again getting an instructors rating or just try and plow on in a normal job until something one day might possibly come up on the airbus..?

At a complete loss as to what to do so any advice would really be appreciated

CAT3C AUTOLAND
30th Mar 2013, 18:01
I must admit I am a little out of touch with the ins and the outs of what going on with industry in terms of contract pilots, but is the flexi crew an option for you, with someone like Easy? I am not sure what their minimum requirements are. The problem you have with all due respect, is that the level of experience you have is a pretty basic level and may not be of interest to other airlines.

A flying school will not care if you have jet experience. A flight Instructor is a great job, however, its very different from flying airliners. All a flying school will be interested in is do you have a Flying Instructor Rating and do you have the skills and personality to fit into their organisation. If the answer is yes then you will get the job on passing their screening.

All the best with it.

FlyHome
30th Mar 2013, 18:23
Thanks for your reply. Yes unfortunately Easyjet want 500hours on type and now I think it is also 1000 total time. Your absolutely right, the experience I have is very basic and I have to admit having done those hours it's clear to me why so few airlines take cadets on to jets... It's not as easy as it looks!

My main thing is that I really dont want to end up paying some dodgy company to build hours as the quality of training matters as much as the hours in my opinion. All I really want is to be paid to fly aeroplanes, instructing will lead to something else eventually and I'd enjoy the teaching aspect a lot. I just don't want to spend the little savings I have on something which is unlikely to work out..

CAT3C AUTOLAND
30th Mar 2013, 19:22
You are welcome mate, and a mature post. Once again, with all due respect, some guys with a few hours on jets think they are gods gift to aviation, but fail to realise it takes a number of years to become a well rounded and competent jet pilot.

With the way licencing works, the instructor route is a dying breed, simply because you dont need to build those hours to get a CPL. If you were to work as an instructor I would think it would simply give you that additional skill as a pilot, but perhaps not give you much value in terms of moving forward flying airliners, apart from maybe the respect of your future employer, I dont know.

I am sure you know this, but your investment in a FIC, would not give you the return financially, but would give you a personal reward on sharing your skill with up and coming pilots. Unless you have funds to support yourself throughout this period.

Its a tough one mate, once again I wish you the best with it.

b.a. Baracus
1st Apr 2013, 15:55
I saw this today, could perhaps be of some interest?

Storm McGinley - A320 First Officer / Senior First Officer Job, Europe | iFlyJobs | Ref No. 32245 (http://www.iflyjobs.com/job/jobdetails/32245/Storm_McGinley_-_A320_First_Officer___Senior_First_Officer/)

FlyHome
1st Apr 2013, 22:26
Thanks mate,

Unfortunately that is for Wizz Air, who for some reason rejected me at the initial application stage ie. they dont even look at your CV at that point, you just fill in a generic form on their website with your email address and an average amount of hours you have / rating etc so bit annoying. Also they say once you've applied you cant apply again for 12 months!!