PDA

View Full Version : Route Discontinuities

jonnyamici
29th Mar 2013, 19:39
Hello everybody!

I have a question regarding the 757/767 FMC, specifically when entering arrivals that end in "expect radar vectors to final approach", like CAMRN4 in JFK or FLIPR2 and FOWEE5 in MIA. Should I leave the discontinuity between the final waypoint in the STAR and the IAF? Or should I close the discontinuity even though I know I'm not going to fly that course?

Thanks!

OneTwoTree
29th Mar 2013, 20:40
Hello there

Very good question, not sure of the answer

if you don't mind I would like to add to your question and ask "if you leave the discontinuity what distance does the fmc calculate to destination?"

galaxy flyer
29th Mar 2013, 20:43
I leave the "discont" in until I now ATC's plan for vectors. Reason being, the plane WILL fly the track between the last waypoint of the STAR to the IAF, if no action it taken to go to HDG mode and ATC would not like that.

fantom
29th Mar 2013, 20:44
Easy.

If you are 'B' team you will continue on the last heading and go to the Bermuda Triangle.

If you are 'A' team you will land.

jonnyamici
29th Mar 2013, 21:48
The FMC will calculate a direct route between the last waypoint of the STAR and the IAF. The question is, to connect those points or not?

Capn Bloggs
30th Mar 2013, 03:13
The FMC will calculate a direct route between the last waypoint of the STAR and the IAF. The question is, to connect those points or not?
Not a 767 pilot but IMO No. If you're not cleared that way, don't remove the disco. Don't set yourself up for a fall. By leaving the disco in, at least the aircraft will keep going as per the last clearance and if all else fails ie you don't get a Heading from ATC, you will notice the roll mode drop into Heading and you can then quiz ATC.

misd-agin
30th Mar 2013, 04:09
Leave it in. It's a reminder that you don't have a clearance after the empty boxes. That's our SOP.

SMOC
30th Mar 2013, 04:54
Leave it in. It's a reminder that you don't have a clearance after the empty boxes. That's our SOP.

We can do both however we must/should brief that we will select an appropriate mode so as to not follow the LNAV track without further clearance, most guys highlight the last waypoint on the fix page using this method as a reminder.

I prefer the discon method.

stilton
31st Mar 2013, 08:16
Never close a discontinuity to an uncleared route, it's just asking for trouble.

Simple as that :ok:

amar69
9th Aug 2013, 19:24
Never close a discont,you are looking for troubles

Capn Bloggs
10th Aug 2013, 04:01
I hear an echo echo echo...