PDA

View Full Version : Death of aviation journalist Jim Ferguson

robbreid
28th Mar 2013, 13:07
BBC News - Aberdeen-based aviation writer Jim Ferguson dies (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-21967474)

The Aberdeen-based aviation writer Jim Ferguson has died after suffering a stroke.
Mr Ferguson, who was 74, was taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary earlier in the week and passed away on Thursday morning.

He started writing and broadcasting in the mid 1960s, and was a regular contributor the BBC, other broadcast outlets, and to flight journals.

Mr Ferguson was often among the first to be quoted on major air disasters.

March 28 2013

roundwego
28th Mar 2013, 14:18
Maybe his death has been misreported

jimf671
28th Mar 2013, 16:22
I was thinking about him just the other day.

To be honest, what I was doing was slagging him off on pprune the other day. I suppose the theory of there being no such thing as bad publicity can be used to put a positive spin on that. I was raising his public profile.

Poor guy.

Fareastdriver
28th Mar 2013, 17:32
I have not seen the original post but that is sickening. I have met Jim once or twice, an amiable idiot would be the worst thing I could have said about him but he was doing a job. The way he was doing it was good enough for the BBC and others to put him in camera to spout his opinion. Loads of people disagreed with what he said but what the hell; people think I am stupid for the way I think about things as well.

RIP Jim. A character that shall be missed.

heli1
28th Mar 2013, 21:19
Whilst many on this thread criticised Jim, the fact remains that for many years he was a friend of the helicopter industry. In his heyday during the seventies and eighties he was often /always the first to report what was going on with the operators in Aberdeen and had an inside track with most of them. I believe he also played his part in the lifeboat organisation.
I for one am sorry to hear of his sudden passing.he deserved a longer life,if only to keep his critics on the ball!

PANews
28th Mar 2013, 21:57
Never met him but I guess I got to know him through his occasional appearances in the media and of course he has this.... his own column here on Pprune!

I think it is fair to say that Jim got the last laugh all round..... all this here and 4 column inches and an image on his own BBC Obituary!

There will be few Ppruners that can aspire to such heights....... Well done Jim:D

baldspot
29th Mar 2013, 14:37
I know a lot of blokes who have worked in Aberdeen will know Jim or know of him. (tracks back to rumours & news)

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/511399-death-aviation-journalist-jim-ferguson.html

griffothefog
29th Mar 2013, 20:11
The silence is deafening.. RIP Jimmy boy :{

thechopper
29th Mar 2013, 21:36
Someone's death does not change his personality. Condolences to Jim's family though.