PDA

View Full Version : 800 Highly Paid Controllers go South

Bright-Ling
25th Apr 2002, 06:41
Did anyone see the local BBC South news last night??

There was a major report about 800 NATS staff being relocated to a new site - yet to be decided on- within 10 miles of Swanwick.

They went on to interview Richard Everitt who said that the staff would be from Kemble Street, West Drayton and Gatwick.

THEN, a local estate agent came on saying that as they were all HIGHLY paid:mad: , already over priced proprty prices in the area are expected to go through the roof.

I wonder if CATC will go to the new site?

BDiONU
25th Apr 2002, 07:23
All part of the new accomodation strategy which has been On Air for months now. Closing all the expensive offices at Kemble Street, Highfield, Centre Point etc. Although the admin staff are supposed to be going somewhere near Reading/Drayton/Basingstoke and its only the Enjineers who are coming to the sunny South Coast.

House prices are already ridiculous down here!!

Over+Out
25th Apr 2002, 08:47
I thought I read a paper at work yesterday, saying '200 peole would be re-located to the Southamton area'.

Bright-Ling
25th Apr 2002, 09:07
Yes, I saw that on the intranet too: But was surprised to see Mr Everitt outside the Civic Centre in SAM saying he was looking for a new site there.

I thought 800 was a bit extreme, but I guess if you include all the staff at Kemble, West Drayton etc it must be close to that figure.

The BBC seem to think that Everyone is moving down. I guess this overrides the Basingstoke plan.

Llamapoo
25th Apr 2002, 10:27
Just to add to Take3's post - it's not only the engineers. The latest news is that all HQ staff will be moving down to some site within a 10 mile radius of Swanwick, consolidating almost all of NATS activities near to Swanwick or at the other (necessarily remote) units.

The only group that will be elsewhere will be the Chairman's office, which will remain in London. At the moment, I also know of no immediate plans to move CATC/ATMDC (due to simulators and the number of good restaurants and bars in Bournemouth:D ).

I think you lot can look forward to a whole lot of support staff wanting to pay 'familiarisation visits' to the ops room:eek: - but then at least they might be able to do stuff to help you :rolleyes: !

Bigears
25th Apr 2002, 17:03
Llamapoo consolidating almost all of NATS activities near to Swanwick or at the other (necessarily remote) units.

Llamapoo, you're talking big donkey sh*te :D - Swanwick is pretty remote from where I work- and it wasn't necessary to build it there!
:rolleyes:

Loki
25th Apr 2002, 17:55
Of course, a clever company would have bought the site first,then announced the move. Instead of which everybody in the region of Southampton will be jacking the price of any likely location into the stratosphere. Ah yes, its NATS we`re talking about. Silly me.