PDA

View Full Version : Bringing in U.S. currency

Road Rash
27th Mar 2013, 16:10
Just a quick question: Has any one every brought in more than 10k on an international flight back to the U.S.? if so, did you just declare? What if its cash your carrying around for operations like fuel and just some cash to grease some wheels here and there. Coming back on a commercial flight or an actual repo or working a flight shouldn't make a difference.
Any info appreciated.
Cheers
RR

Globally Challenged
27th Mar 2013, 16:51
If you are travelling with a colleague then you could split it between you.

fleigle
28th Mar 2013, 02:28
I believe the law says $10k or more, per individual.
I wouldn't want to risk getting caught, declare it and have an explanation.
f

NuName
28th Mar 2013, 05:30
I totally agree with the previous post, the declaration is to prevent money laundering, if its from a legitimate source and can be proved to be so, then the declaration is just a formality.

con-pilot
28th Mar 2013, 15:43
There is no law against carring more than $10,000.00 in or out of the US, it just has to be reported.

Road Rash
28th Mar 2013, 16:07
Ok, thanks for the info.
I guess reporting it for aircraft operational purposes would be legit enough, and I'm sure I could get something official from my company saying why I'm caring around such a large quantity of cash.

flydive1
28th Mar 2013, 16:50
Here more info with a link to the form to fill out

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/kw/Declaring%20currency%20when%20entering%20the%20U.S

FLEXJET
29th Mar 2013, 07:02
It can happen that a CBP officer asks for the cash box location and checks its amount. My advice if you carry a cash box of over 10,000USD is that you may declare it under the Captain's name on the blue form, even if the cash stays onboard, to avoid any issue.

FLEXJET
29th Mar 2013, 11:24
If the cash remains on board the aircraft then is not really being imported exported it remains in the country / state of registration.

Unless you provide me with a valid link or regulation reference I won't believe you my dear F900_ex

Booglebox
29th Mar 2013, 20:47
Splitting it up so that each crew member carries max $9,900 can save a lot of hassle :E

DownIn3Green
29th Mar 2013, 23:03
So...so many have ways to "fool" the system...when it is not neccessary...

My experience:...In 1997 I was PIC of a VP- registered 727, belonging to a Saudi Sheikh...

We put our Jet into a UK maint facility for a "C" check...

I had a safe on board...It had over $78,000 "Benjimans" in it...

The crew was granted time off, and Business Class to domtialicle...In my case the USA...

I took the $$$ with me and declared it in MIA...It was a very big problem for Customs because I got the feeling that people didn't normally declare sums of that amount...

Most of the bills were new and in sequential order...(Anyone who has flown the Mideast understands this)

After counting and recording the bills, and asking who they belonged to...(My employer, I said, and it was for normal operating expenses of our Worldwide ops area) They were given back to me, along with a stamp in my passport and a receipt stapled to it...

I was told that on my departure from the USA (my home country) the bills would be inspected again...And they'd better be the SAME BILLS totalling the same amount...

Apparently this was the defense of laundrying in 1997...

In any case, a hassle...Yes....a problem...NO....

Obey the law and you will be OK...