PDA

View Full Version : ICAO Standard Symbology for Airport plates

RadioSaigon
26th Mar 2013, 08:17
Can anyone assist with where I might find graphical elements of Aerodrome plates please? I'm sure there is an ICAO Standard Symbology for Airport plates somewhere out there, but I'm having a helluva job finding it, made more difficult by crap internet access!

Would surely appreciate any pointers!

alphacentauri
26th Mar 2013, 08:37
There is ICAO standards for this, but they deal with mainly what information is to be depicted. They don't go into too much detail about the symbology. That is why each publishing state has slightly different looking plates.

The ICAO doc you are looking for ICAO Annex 4.

In Australia, Airservices has its own style guide that they use. Publishing authorities in Aus (ie Jepps/GE) are required to comply with the style guide.

Are you looking for something more specific? Sounds like you are trying to draw an aerodrome chart?

Alpha

RadioSaigon
26th Mar 2013, 14:39
Sounds like you are trying to draw an aerodrome chart?

Quite a few actually, AC. I'm facing a bit of a challenge where I currently am (not too far N of the W Island ;-) ) to get documentation for my outfit to an "acceptable standard" for the regulator. Short of throwing scads of cash at them (been done once before my time, now we're paying the price) it needs done properly. My hope is to do it using accepted worldwide standards to a level familiar to pilots from most ICAO states. To ease my path, I'm hoping to find graphics of the imagery necessary to create the plates, without having to build them all myself. There's enough already that will have to be done manually.

I'll check out the documents you suggest! Many thanks!

le Pingouin
26th Mar 2013, 15:03
Airservices provides an online copy of the legend for DAPs which might be helpful. Copyrighted, etc but it's a start: https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/LegendInfoTablesTOC.htm

alphacentauri
26th Mar 2013, 20:53
RadioSaigon,

Must be my fading memory. I checked Annex 4 this morning and all the information you require is published in Appendix 2. It covers all the symbology for aeronautical charting including IFP plates.

Check your PM's

Alpha

27/09
26th Mar 2013, 22:34
Have a look at AIP New Zealand GEN 2.3 Chart Symbols.

RadioSaigon
27th Mar 2013, 06:10
Many thanks AlphaCentauri, le Pingoin and 27/09! Your information/advice and links have been most helpful. Now begins the dreary and lengthy task of developing the 1st subset of plates...

Regards
RS