PDA

View Full Version : uk instructor thinking of moving to Australia

pipertommy
24th Mar 2013, 19:02
Hi, as the title states I am considering a move to Australia.
It would be the wife and kids to. Shouldn't be a problem for my wife who is a highly nurse and I believe the profession is in demand.
I hold a Easa CPL/IR - FI and teach ppl part time. My day job is with ambulance service as an EMT.
We have been toying with the idea of moving out( if accepted ). If so I would love the opportunity to move into fulltime instructing.
Any advice ?? Having to retake exams ? Thanks.

tail wheel
24th Mar 2013, 19:24
Have you made enquiries regarding nursing registration (http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/), pilot license conversion (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_91489), ASIC application (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90103), sponsorship (http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/) and if you are to be the primary Visa applicant, skills assessment (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90027)??

I suspect based on your flying qualifications and experience you may not qualify for an Australian Visa. Your wife may qualify for an Australian Visa but will need skills assessment and nursing registration.

LexAir
24th Mar 2013, 21:14
You need advice from someone who understands the issues.

PM me if you would like more info on converting your licences and ratings.

Good luck.

tail wheel
25th Mar 2013, 06:21
I deleted two posts which were blatantly untrue. :mad:

To clarify a few myths and scare mongering............. Despite the Prime Minister's uninformed and untrue statements to the contrary, Sub Class 457 Visa holders employed in Australia are paid at least the same as an equivalent Australian worker - from the DIAC web site:

From 1 July 2012 , the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT), will be indexed by 4.2 per cent, in line with the Australia-wide increase in average weekly earnings. This will increase TSMIT from $49,330 to $51,400.

The increase to the TSMIT will apply to all nomination applications which are decided on or after 1 July 2012, regardless of lodgement date.

Standard business sponsors are required to pay their overseas workers the market salary rate. The increase to TSMIT means that where the market rate for a position is less than $51,400, the position cannot be nominated under the 457 program.

The TSMIT is set at this level to ensure that all Subclass 457 visa holders have sufficient income to independently provide for themselves in Australia.

However, the Sponsor must also meet Market Salary Rate, not merely pay the TSMIT. If for example, a sponsor company wishes to sponsor an overseas qualified diesel fitter and is paying other Australian diesel fitters $30 per hour ($59,280 per annum), then that is the salary the overseas worker must be paid.

If the sponsoring employer does not employ any diesel fitters, he must establish a regional market salary from other employers that do employ diesel fitters in the same region and pay that to the overseas skilled worker.

DIAC require submission of original supporting payroll evidence with the 457 Visa Normination and Application.

I understand that 104 or 0.083% possible Visa non compliances out of 125,000 457 Visas holders were investigated last year. DIAC did not reveal the number of prosecutions, but obviously less than 104?

baron_beeza
25th Mar 2013, 08:22
I read those posts as meaning that a Flight Instructor was paid about a half the current Aussie average national wage. ie Instructing is not the sort of job where you are going to earn big money.

I didn't take it as a recent arrival being paid any less than a local doing a similar job.

le Pingouin
25th Mar 2013, 13:40
FWIW that's how I read it as well - saying instructing doesn't pay overly well.

Capt Claret
25th Mar 2013, 14:45
Me three. :}

Jack Ranga
26th Mar 2013, 08:58
TW, not like the PM to lie is it?

pipertommy, dunno whether nurse is on the list, if they aren't now they probably used to be. If she looked hard enough she would certainly find a sponsor. In that case, kick back, take a load off while the missus works :ok:

Aeroplanes are pretty cheap out here at the moment, especially tommy's, in which case she may have to do a bit of O/T as well ;)

Clare Prop
26th Mar 2013, 14:58
This might apply to you?

Intensive Care Ambulance Paramedic - 411112 (http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/i/intensive-care-ambulance-paramedic.htm)

Clare Prop
26th Mar 2013, 15:11
Beware migration agents and "experts". They are selling an expensive product with no guarantees. I've always dealt directly with immigration, including being a 126 migrant myself many moons ago and now a sponsor for 420 visas. Once you find a tame immigration officer it is pretty straightforward and can save you a fortune.

I came here through other skills, converted my UK CPL and intructed part time for years whilst doing the job I was accepted to do before instructing full time.

I had a young lady came to see me today (on a tourist visa) with a brand new JAR CPL and about 200 hours looking to convert to Aus who had been told by a migration agent she would have no problem getting a 457 visa for an airline job...:eek:

Also saw this on google:

Flying Instructor Jobs in Australia - Migration Expert Australia

[website redacted]Migration Expert Australia - Visa Service & Advice Online[/url] › Visas to Australia › Jobs in Australia

Flying Instructor Jobs Australia - Australia seeks Flying Instructor to live and work in Australia. Great working conditions and salary
Beware!

pipertommy
29th Mar 2013, 06:45
Thanks for all the replies and advice. Still early days and exploring what's options are open.
Lots to read and study before any serious move is taken.
Thanks again.

volare_737
29th Mar 2013, 06:58
Nurses are definitely in demand. You wont be able to get a job in Sydney or Melbourne straight away, but if you are prepared to move to a remote area like Darwin or Broome, I am sure there are definitely Nursing jobs around.
They only problem I can see is that in those areas there might be no Instructor jobs.
If you get in to a place like Darwin on your wife’s visa, you could always try to get in to the GA up there. To break in to aviation in Oz is not easy. Trust me – I have come the 457 routes!!!!!
If you need any more info PM me!!!

tail wheel
29th Mar 2013, 08:25
Cynical - good name BTW! :}

be prepared to earn less than half the average australian salary...

Your post is not correct and indeed, misleading. To be granted a 457 Visa the offered salary must exceed the TSMIT of $51,400 and be a "market salary". If a flying school wishes to employ a flying instructor from overseas, the offered salary must exceed $51,400; must be the same salary as offered to other Australians doing the same job; and if any Australian doing the same job is paid less that $51,400, the Visa will not be granted.

Makes your post kind of redundant?

And there are professional flying schools that pay fair full time, part time or casual wages as per the Award.

Clare ... A position with ANZSCO Code 411112 does qualify for a 457 Visa, although an applicant will need to check the Australian qualification requirements to ensure they meet that qualification.

outofwhack
29th Mar 2013, 13:59
PT,

I know a very good migration consultant specializing in recruiting nurses. A real nice bloke and an ex-pom. Let me know if you need his details.

OOW