PDA

View Full Version : Male Cabin Attendants - Your Experience/Knowledge.

Tray Surfer
23rd Mar 2013, 02:15
Hi Everyone,

I have been fortunate to chat to a couple of people by PM on here, and they have been very informative. But, I would be interested to know the wider corporate/private communities thoughts on this subject.

I want to make the move from commercial/scheduled flying, into the corporate/private world. I have been doing as much research and looking into doing some stuff to enhance my skills as I can. I have been browsing the internet, looking at job listings when they come up etc... Of course, a high percentage of them are in the middle east, which is fine, apart from a lot of them specify female applicants only, so immediately they are out. I am probably not quite ready to start applying for any positions yet, as I think some things may be better, personally, in about 6 months or so, so this is all for research and future planning/thinking.

I am aware, through a friend and a contact, of a couple of male CC and at least that gives an indication that it is indeed possible to get a position as a male applicant, but it still seems to be a very uncommon role for a man.

I would be very grateful if any of you ladies or gents would be able to share your experience of male attendants working on your aircraft? Directly employed by owners? Through management companies such as TAG?
Are there more men out there than I seem to believe?

I appreciate most of you have a much higher degree of interest in the metal and how it flies, but I would really appreciate your input.

Warm Regards,

TS
:)

silverware
24th Mar 2013, 12:30
Hi TS,

Welcome in the vibrant world that is called private aviation.
It was an inhospittable environment for the male cabin crew species but finally things are slowly changing.

For various reasons, many owners/operators/brokers always favoured the female type on board of their aircraft.
Yes, they are often blondes and hail from eastern Europe, indeed lots of them don't even speak English properly and yes, they lack any form of basic culinary skills...........................BUT THEY LOOK GOOD!
Maybe a little over the top but still pretty close to reality, this is what you are often up against, eyecandy.

Funny enough, alot of (charter) clients don't care about gender, they just want great service,a professional attitude and a careless experience.
Ofcourse there are a number of male f/a's around, sometimes even specifically scouted because the jealous missus doesn't care for the eycandy hubbie is flying around with.....
Both in the ME and Russia the eyecandy-factor is still dominant, you would therefore be better off in the US-Europe to find employment.
The emphasis for f/a's has recently shifted somewhat from just good looks to content/background/education and culinary skills.
Therefore make sure you are well-groomed, utterly flexible, trained in the culinary field and willing to put in long hours compared to commercial aviation.

Good luck landing your first job, it will come!

Tray Surfer
24th Mar 2013, 20:22
Hi silverware,

Thank you for your very helpful reply.

I already work scheduled/commercial in First, almost every sector, and already have a degree of food skills from that and, without tooting my own horn, I do love what I do and it shows. I am always impeccable and presented exceptionally well.

In all honesty, the fact that most ME and Russian principals/operators prefer females, as you state primarily based on looks, is not a great loss. I am not a fan of the ME or Russia. Fine for working trips too, but being based there is not something I would be massively keen on. Of course, if that would lead to the only employment opportunities, then I would obviously strongly consider if for the employment, but Europe is preferable.

I will keep exploring all avenues, and I again appreciate your response.

Warm Regards,

TS

Tray Surfer
26th Mar 2013, 16:46
*bump*

Just curious if anyone else has any thoughts on the subject?

TS

Booglebox
26th Mar 2013, 17:32
I'd say that you'd have a good chance in the middle-east, where there is a much higher percentage of male FAs, due to the Islamic views on opposite sexes being alone in small spaces.
Elsewhere, I guess you're competing with the trolly dollies. Think about what sets you apart - why should an a/c owner or charter operator hire you instead of more totty?
Good luck :cool:

Tray Surfer
26th Mar 2013, 22:30
Thanks Booglebox...

I had always thought the opposite of the middle east. Always that it was very female centric, especially blonde and "buxom"... I had sort of dismissed the ME due to that, but will bring it more to the fore of my investigations within my realms of searching.

I will certainly, as I said in the OP, that I will be doing some skill building, especially on the catering front of things etc...

But, thank you for the thoughts, it is appreciated.

Warm Regards,

TS

NuName
27th Mar 2013, 04:05
Having spent many years in the ME I would suggest that you may have got it slightly wrong.

The males there are more than happy to be in close proximity to a good looking female, they just don't want thier women to be in ANY proximity to a male, good looking or otherwise.

Booglebox
27th Mar 2013, 15:46
NuName: that makes sense and I may well have got it wrong... it's just my personal experience that approx. bit less than half the aircraft I've been involved with in the middle east have a male F/A.
Especially prevalent among the royals, even the lesser ones (of which, as you know, there are many)
Thanks for the input though :)

Tray Surfer
27th Mar 2013, 17:13
Some of the Royal fleets in the ME are quite impressive...

I would never have thought down that route.

747flyboy
28th Mar 2013, 11:54
This is something I too have been thinking about for a while now so will follow this thread with interest.

I have lots of contacts etc in the world of corporate aviation but opportunities for guys are like gold dust.

I have one question though, is there a "shelf life" for a male flight attendant?
Ladies for example aren't recruited if they are over 35, so what's the chance for a guy over 40?

Booglebox
28th Mar 2013, 16:13
747flyboy: I would guess that eye-candy attractiveness rating isn't so important (...unless the client is so inclined) so the age ceiling is a bit higher. But this is mostly a guess.

DownIn3Green
29th Mar 2013, 03:36
I have over 4 1/2 yrs as Captain with Saudi Special Flights...(the Royal Flight)...It's a fairly large fleet...I was hired for the only 727 that was on the property in 1996, as the only Captain...

Our F/A was a male from Saudi Airlines...always the same one...only when we had one of the "wives" on board, did we augment with a Female F/A...

However, when flying the Sheikh's 727, I had only Female F/A's, althugh that was his choice...after working with Khalid on the Royal Flt., MY opinion is there is nothing wrong with a professional male F/A...Professional being the operative word...

Good Luck...If you land a job, you'll do fine...

As an afterthought, try to check in with Mutt over on the Mideast Forum...he's on the ground there and pretty clued in...

Tray Surfer
29th Mar 2013, 12:43
Thank you for that DownIn3Green, most helpful.

DownIn3Green
29th Mar 2013, 22:48
Glad to help TS...Give Mutt my regards...

aerochip
4th Apr 2013, 18:52
I have clients that have used male F/A for a variety of different reasons. I know of one male F/A on a Gulfstream that helps sling bags (not many women strong enough) and is used as ground driver / body guard. Others have used male F/A because of jealous wives and still others because of culinary skills. For any private gig, I think its helpful if you have many different skills as that helps the owners enhance the experience and lower the bills!

Tray Surfer
7th Apr 2013, 16:28
Thanks aerochip,

Quite frankly, after the trip I have just done, I think I would be more than capable of taking anything thrown at me... Quite literally.

I don't mind some manual work, have full driving license and the lot, so I suppose I can add all that into my repartee...

Tray Surfer
16th Apr 2013, 16:24
I thought it best to ask this question on here instead of starting a whole new thread just to ask the question, as I can not see any answers from several searches...

I have just applied for a couple of positions with NetJets Europe, and have gone through the long process of filling in their online application form and uploading my CV, which of course is good as all details are saved now...

Does anyone have experience of applications made online with NetJets?
Once you have clicked "Apply" next to a position, it shows "Application On Hold" in the "My Applications" section at the top, however, no confirmation of the application is sen via e-mail or shows online. Is all well and good if it shows as "on hold"? :*

mutt
17th Apr 2013, 11:50
We have about 150 VIP cabin and the ratio is 1-2 male females, but all males are indigenous. Judging by local FBO's, the role is majorly staffed by female's.

I would suggest trying NasAir, Aviation Link, Mideast Jet or Midroc as they are operators of larger aircraft.

Mutt

Tray Surfer
17th Apr 2013, 13:21
Thank you Mutt,

I will see if I can find any recruitment information on those companies.
At least there is a market there for us boys! :)

TS

redsnail
17th Apr 2013, 13:57
NJE has been hiring FAs "recently" and I wouldn't be surprised if NJE doesn't hire some more "soon". The last batch all lived in the UK.

Even those on the "inside" have to use that system to apply for fleet changes.

Tray Surfer
17th Apr 2013, 22:06
Thanks for that... Yes, my application is currently with NJE...

I have to admit, in terms of online application systems, the NJE one is not the easiest or most logical to follow, for me anyway.

Either way, I eventually got through it all!

Also another position applied for with them, London based, which may be a different way into private aviation in one way or another.

Tray Surfer
15th May 2013, 13:50
I am finding this all quite odd...

I had a phone call from NJE, asking me to confirm some details on my residency in the UK (I am British and lived here all my life...) as they thought my Passport information looked odd... But then, asked if I would be interested still in an interview. Of course, I said yes! I was told someone would call the following day to offer a date, time and location for said interview.

That was over 2 weeks ago, and nothing. I can't get in touch with anyone and am completely baffled by the whole thing.

:sad:

silverware
15th May 2013, 16:40
Get used to it, this industry isn't known for it's courteous behaviour.
Took me about a year of knocking on doors, talking to chief pilots/flight attendants etc. before I got in.
Private aviation is full of sh*t, smoke and mirrors but still can be very rewarding if you play your cards right.
Hang in there, you'll make it.

747flyboy
24th May 2013, 19:41
Interesting replies everybody.
I too have applied for 2 jobs recently with Netjets and not heard a thing back. And Globaljet too have been in contact recently but since then, not a thing.
I can only imagine that all these business aviation companies are inundated with applications and can get the cream of the crop from whoever they want.
Still, i will keep trying!

Tray Surfer
24th May 2013, 21:41
I think "repetitive persistence" is the name of the game...

Booglebox
25th May 2013, 10:34
Had a nice chat with NJE male f/a yesterday. Chin up tray surfer, you'll get there!
Globaljet are a tough nut to crack, but worth the effort.

dss3000
25th May 2013, 11:25
I recently did a contract as Aircrew in KL Malaysia, we had a male flt attendant he did an outstanding job he also double as the owners wife PA. As he described it PIA lol . Anyways he was an ex Cathay purser and almost doubled his pay. It seems I ran into quite a few male flt att in Asia you may want to look into that area.

Im currently based in Singapore and have seen a few in my travels around Jakarta and Hong Kong as well. Try TAG Asia, Jet Asia, HK jet, Metro Jet HK, as well as Hong Kong Jet they are all in an expanding mode, Oh and Btw stay away from Sinojet HK crap outfit.

Look into it and good luck it all boils down to your professional attitude and qualifications.

Hope you land something as the corporate world is a blast and so much more fun than line work.

wingsLV
1st Jun 2013, 00:23
Tray Surfer: I am a male F/A and flying in Russia now.If you apply for a Job in BIZ -you can not choose the Location you like or not.
Most of the Posts are correct-in Russia- they prefer "blond,cute russian Girls".I call them "Prada-Gucci-i will marry soon"girls. The most important Thing is- if you want to start to fly in BIZ-you MUST offer extraordinary Service!Best Service, that makes passengers speakless!Than ,as a male F/A, you will be known, and the passengers will request you!
Good luck!

Tray Surfer
2nd Jun 2013, 14:15
Thanks for the latest posts... I will keep plugging away at it...

Oh, and, if any operators on here fancy letting me do a trial flight for you, or want anyone who is very willing to clean the galley ;) or polish your gold taps... Feel free to PM me... :)

747flyboy
12th Jul 2013, 09:09
I'm getting the impression here that both patience and perseverance both are equally important.

Have finally managed to land an interview by pure chance. Can only give it my best shot and if anything go for the experience. At least next time I will know what to expect.

It's up to me now to shine!

Tray Surfer
12th Jul 2013, 15:07
Very best of luck!

If, after the interview and you hear your outcome, you fancy PM'ing me to let me know any details you might want to share, I would be very thankful for any information.

Not to try and nick a job prospect or anything, just general stuff about the position and where/how you came across it etc...

Thanks,

TS

Tray Surfer
31st Jul 2013, 13:05
Hello again all,

I have Facetime initial interview with a chief pilot and current rotation cabin crew member for an aircraft.

I know the cabin crew member will probably focus more on the service side of the conversation and my food and service skills and experience. However, I want to try and be prepared for what the chief pilot may want to ask and talk about...

If you were/are a pilot, be it chief, or not, what would you be asking a prospective cabin crew member?

I understand it to be a 2 week on, 2 week off rotation position.

Any words of advice would be appreciated.

Warm Regards,

TS

Tray Surfer
9th Aug 2013, 19:05
Just a quick note of thanks to those who sent PMs and offered advice in relation to initial interview...

Heard that I did not get it, but it was very encouraging, thanks to the prep I was able to do.

You are all a brilliant mind of information, I sincerely appreciate it.

Best Regards!

TS