PDA

View Full Version : G450/G550 differences course - how often?

envoy
22nd Mar 2013, 23:14
Hello all

A question for those of you with knowledge of FAA rules - out of this, I am hoping to find some references to CFR Part 91, or other suitable directives/legislation.

The Gulfstream G450/G550 models are covered by the GV type rating under FAA. Best I can tell from rumour/hearsay/PPrune is that difference courses between these two models are completed to satisfy company and insurance requirements, as opposed to formal FAA requirements. I am unsure of the truth in this.

Under Part 91, is there an FAA requirement to complete differences training on a regular basis, similar to recurrent training, in order to operate both models?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts

noneya
23rd Mar 2013, 11:03
Not Under part 91

FrankR
23rd Mar 2013, 13:27
Everything you said is correct, differences initial is not required under FAA part 91, and similarly, recurrent differences are also not required.

However, there are many differences between the two models. I highly recommend that you take the course from an instructor who is focused on quality training...

FR

Gulfstreamaviator
24th Mar 2013, 16:24
However many SIM centres have no 450 sim, and even worse no instructors who have seen a 450, and certainly never flown one.

I know of at least one 450 conversion course that is totally a PP show.
2hrs and NO knowledge just Power and Point.

So find a centre that has a person who has at least seen a 450...

glf

FrankR
25th Mar 2013, 03:12
GLF is 100% spot on,

I was trying to avoid bitching about it, but most FSI and CAE 450/550 differences courses are 100% joke and 0% info. The best one I've seen is (believe it or not) at ECFT in DXB, where you get a detailed and pertinent handout and 4 hours of actual instruction.

FR

envoy
25th Mar 2013, 05:08
Thanks all for comments and advice. If EFCT is also known as CAE in DXB, then that is the first compliment I have ever heard about that place!

I completed G550 Initial at FSI LGB in 2009, did the 450/550 diffs at the same time and have flown both since. All *seems* straightforward for keeping the FAA happy in this regard... but can anyone point me to a reference that states clearly that an Initial plus differences is all that is required to fly both?

Cheers

mutt
25th Mar 2013, 05:09
You were probably lucky enough that their ONLY G450/550 EXPERIENCED instructor was available, otherwise you will get trained by an airline guy who has never seen the aircraft.

We moved our training contract out of there due to the poor standards of the instructors.

Mutt

FrankR
25th Mar 2013, 08:29
"CAE" in Dubai is actually "Emirates CAE Flight Training" as it is a joint venture, thus the official name "ECFT" ... And, yes, I completely agree, if you swing a dead cat in the staff lounge, there is zero chance of hitting a G450/550 instructor who has ever seen a Gulfstream...

The good news these days is that they offer a low low price that includes travel in Emirates Business class. Downside for US expats is that you can't combine said free travel to training with a trip to see mom and the kiddies.

FR

muntisk
30th Apr 2021, 13:14
Is there any online courses available for G450/G550 training available? I have seen FS had it, but not anymore. Any other sources?

davidjh
1st May 2021, 14:47
Surprised that FSI are not offering the course. Did you check their eLearning site? Worth also looking at FSB report as well. https://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/fsb/giv-x_g-v_gv-sp%20fsb%20%20r7.htm