PDA

View Full Version : Sywell

konfused
22nd Mar 2013, 14:08
Does anybody know what is happening with Brooklands at Sywell. I see the 3 AT3s are advertised for sale and the school is closed until the 4th of April.

Winhern
22nd Mar 2013, 21:05
Doesn't look good :(

Maybe theyre trying to cover all bases in the hope trade (or do I mean the weather) will pick up.

Brooklands Flying Club - Sywell (http://www.brooklandsflyingclub.co.uk/)

Aero AT-3 Private Jet for sale on AvBuyer.com (http://www.avbuyer.com/aircraft/detailed.aspx?AId=32851&Cat=Aircraft%20For%20Sale&seo=Aero%20AT-3)

Halfbaked_Boy
23rd Mar 2013, 10:38
The weather isn't the majority shareholder in having a part to play in turning Sywell into just another quiet airfield without an atmosphere.

Unless you appreciate good food that is :ugh:

Lone_Ranger
23rd Mar 2013, 10:50
I didnt understand that food reference , halfbaked, so what is the main reason for the decline in your opinion?

Sir George Cayley
23rd Mar 2013, 16:57
I think there could be two answers. One, the posh hotel or two the MD's sandwich making biz.

SGC

Lone_Ranger
23rd Mar 2013, 18:13
Clear as mud

Halfbaked_Boy
24th Mar 2013, 16:26
Lone_Ranger,

The only decent thing about the place now is the restaurant.

Any hint of real flying atmosphere has been forever destined to purgatory since MBB took the helm and cherished ambitions of turning it into London North airport.

The above inflation rises in commercial rental (coupled with getting 'more important' customers settled in) has forced out some decent companies/schools over the past decade.

Sywell still hosts some decent shows but I feel an air of emptiness every time I visit the place these days. It used to be an industrial estate that felt like an airfield and ironically it now feels the polar opposite.

Just my opinion...

cct
24th Mar 2013, 16:35
I am more confused by the AT-3s advertised as private Jets...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

hlmmic
24th Mar 2013, 17:07
I am confused! I have flown into Sywell several times and could not have wished for a friendlier reception?? I first flew in on a student cross country and have been back because I like the place! They embrace GA!! If we lose airfields like this we may as well give up!!

yakker
24th Mar 2013, 17:36
Halfbaked_Boy - seconded.

Lone_Ranger
24th Mar 2013, 20:59
I'm with hlmmic, there are far less inviting aerodromes around, I hav'nt been to Sywell for a few months but it seemed welcoming enough last spring/summer (or whatever you want to call that period between April and September last year)

tmmorris
25th Mar 2013, 11:45
Try getting a cup of coffee before 10am, though. The hotel will do 'coffee' of a sort, with biscuits, but hardly up to cafe standards.

Not a bad little airfield but on my occasional not my regular list (nothing like the welcome you get at Goodwood, Wellesbourne, Shobdon, etc.)

Tim

Lone_Ranger
25th Mar 2013, 13:42
Pilots often seem to have have hugely differing impressions of different Aerodromes, Shobdon for instance, has always felt far from welcoming to me, Nice Cafe though