PDA

View Full Version : AA AIRBUS FLEET

KLOS
21st Mar 2013, 12:17
I have been reading the interesting debate on the pro pilots forum on AA 742 and the allusion therein to AA587. I think that AA no longer use Airbus (is that right?) and if so was the decison to do so a direct consequence of the accident i.e that the airline had doubts about the structural integrity of the aircraft or even passenger perception of it? I know that many of the pros are adamant that the rudder inputs were the crucial factor and that the outcome would have been the same for a Boeng equivalent. Apologies if this has all been aired elsewhere- grateful for any info.

Thanks

lakerman
21st Mar 2013, 17:44
As they have recently ordered up to 200+ airbus a/c I think you can forget what you have just written.

KLOS
22nd Mar 2013, 07:32
Lakerman,

Thanks for your reponse.

But does this mean that AA did not have any doubts about the plane at the time following the accident.

Did they subsquently accept that the cause was the alleged excessive rudder input?

Are the MD80s more cost efficient to keep flyimg while the Airbus was stored? There are pilots who still hold the view that there was a problem with the structural integrity. I remember AA pilots at the time expressing that view and being quoted as be unwilling to fly the plane though when the rudder input issue was subsequently factored in may have changed their minds. Perhaps AA are with the passage of time now satisfied. I don't kinow

I do recall that Laker flew the Airbus

Groundloop
22nd Mar 2013, 09:22
Are the MD80s more cost efficient to keep flyimg while the Airbus was stored?

MD80s and A300s served completely different markets!

tubby linton
22nd Mar 2013, 10:53
The A300-600 is a very complex aircraft and requires a lot of looking after to keep it serviceable. AA had a number of incidents with theirs but I believe they were phased out due to high fuel costs an maintenance costs.