PDA

View Full Version : Who sells ELTs in Australia?

Sunfish
19th Mar 2013, 23:37
The Internet is rather silent on exactly who sells what ELT in Australia.

Does anyone sell the ACK E 04?

VH-XXX
20th Mar 2013, 00:16
I seriously wonder sometimes Sunfish if your computer has Google on it.

www. skyshop .com.au for starters.

truthinbeer
20th Mar 2013, 00:36
Try Skyshop... http://www.skyshop.com.au/AVIONICS.pdf - page 544

Aplogies XXX just saw your earlier post. Just proves google works.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
20th Mar 2013, 01:30
If you wish to consider OZ made, you could look at the GME 410G PLB.

C.H.Smith Marine in Collingwood had the best price when I purchased.

Have Fun!! :ok:

Ovation
20th Mar 2013, 05:56
I've used Angel Aircraft in the past for this sort of kit. My last purchase was a Concorde RG24-15 battery that was 15% better than the next price. The business owner is also an aircraft owner and very helpful.

Call Neville Harrang 07 4973 3399 Mob 0418 222 804

LeadSled
20th Mar 2013, 06:52
Folks,
As Griffo has found, marine shops for the GME, which I think is the best pocket ELT on the market.
Nev. at Angel has some very keen prices, and an all round good bloke to boot.
Tootle pip!!

Sunfish
20th Mar 2013, 07:35
I have the pocket PLB already and I take the boat EPIRB as well, I don't strictly neeeed a permanent ELT as such, but I'm a belt and braces sort of person and I flatter myself that someone might want to find my bones.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
20th Mar 2013, 10:47
HI Sunny,
As long as they ALL point to the same location when ya really really need them, then I guess 1 would one do.....or two for luck,.......

In my former occupation I have seen and had experiences with 'fixed ELT's' which were not always 'nice'.
Hence I prefer the personal 410G style, which I can have control over, to supplement the mandatory fixed one, which sometimes 'doesn't'.....

Rotsa Ruck :ok:

LeadSled
20th Mar 2013, 12:48
In my former occupation I have seen and had experiences with 'fixed ELT's' which were not always 'nice'.

The established failure to operate when needed for a fixed ELT is greater than 90%, with 100% being the rate if the aircraft is underwater.

This was confirmed by the CASA post implementation review of the current rules. Fixed ELT (including in airline size aircraft) are a complete waste of money.

If any other piece of aeronautical equipment had that failure rate in service --- there would be an outcry --- but such is the politics within CASA, that mandatory fixed ELT have, once again, made a reappearance in draft legislation --- Part 135.

Tootle pip!!

blueloo
20th Mar 2013, 13:00
I guess a 10% chance of it working although slim is better than no chance - especially if you are incapacitated and didn't have the opportunity to activate your PLB before pranging.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
20th Mar 2013, 16:23
You could activate your PLB 'on the way down' - if you have the opportunity.

Then if it all 'went well', in my former life, I would be very happy to hear that you are well - and CNL your SAR with the boys and girls at AusSAR....

As Leadie has said, some fixed installations don't always work 'as advertised'.

- Those which end up under water,
- Those burned on impact,
- Those crushed on impact, even if its only the antenna that is crushed,
- Those whose switches have corroded, and don't activate,
- Those whose switches corrode and activate 'inadvertently'.
One was reported by the aircraft in flight that had this problem, which became obvious after a while.... The other was from an aircraft on the ground in the middle of the night, and the local RFDS aircraft figured that one out.

Then there was the one stored under the seat of the chopper concerned, and on impact, the seat collapsed - crushing the antenna and shielding the beacon so that the signal went out in a horizontal plane ONLY, and so was not found for almost 24 hours, quite by fortune by another low level chopper. Too late for some on board.

And so it goes....

So, IF you have the opportunity, you could activate your 'portable' ELT and worry about the 'paper work' later.

The person you are helping most - is YOU!

Cheers, :ok:

Clearedtoreenter
20th Mar 2013, 20:03
There are plenty of incidences of fixed ELTs working properly. True some are destroyed on impact or end up under water or something but it's hard to imagine a hand held PLB doing any better in the same situation. I carry both but I'm sure the last thing I'll be thinking of on my way down is activating the PLB.

Ovation
21st Mar 2013, 02:29
Sunfish,

The ELT you are looking at would be available on-line through Aircraft Spruce at around $600 so GST is not payable. Shipping via USPS is way cheaper than UPS or FEDEX.

If you import one from the USA you need to order it pre-programmed to the AU code:

406 ELT's are serialised with a binary code to identify CAR 47 information: i.e Country of registration and aircraft details such as model and registration number.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
25th Mar 2013, 01:40
From the latest CASA Bulletin....

'A warning has been issued about the potential failure of Velcro fasteners used as mounts for emergency locator transmitters. This follows several recent aircraft accidents where emergency locator transmitters on a Velcro mount have detached, causing the antenna connection to break and making the transmitter ineffective.'

Nice to have a 'backup' in the form of a PLB.....

And re "but I'm sure the last thing I'll be thinking of on my way down is activating the PLB."

Why Not?? If you're over water, or the terrain is 'tiger country', then you know it ain't gunna be 'nice' and your 'fixed' ELT MAY get 'drowned' / damaged....you may need all of the help you can get.
And, if it all turns out 'good', just cnl it and report in.....

Cheers

rjtjrt
25th Mar 2013, 03:04
I don't want to hijack this thread.
However, I have always been comcerned by the " activate the GPS PLB on the way down.
Given the months or years long cold start, how fast can the GPS in the PLB acquire and calculate position? So does activate on the way down need more time for a useful 406 transmission to be achieved than we think? If so the distraction of activation PLB on the way down, with presumed degredation of performance of performing the forced landing/finding and getting to a clear space/maintaining optimal,speed/ etc, may not be worth it.
I don't know the answer.
In essence, I am asking how useful in practical terms is it to activate on the way down? Pros and Cons.