PDA

View Full Version : Infrequent use on Turbomeca engine heads up

lamanated
19th Mar 2013, 19:34
Was reminded today of the 7 day run to maintain oil film and fuel wetting of components , and a log book entry to back it up, any failure to do it, ie storage or heavy maintenance rendered it unservicable, you can vent it up to 3 times but then it goes back for overhaul.
potential sellers and buyers and reps are told to look for these entries ..

Nomad110
19th Mar 2013, 20:47
Can you elaborate on this? Do you mean that Turbomeca put out a bulletin notice on engines that sit for more the 7 days? What engines are affected? Can you post a link of that bulletin?

lowfat
19th Mar 2013, 20:54
Most if not all engines / airframes have anti deterioration routines which should kick in after a week 7 days. A month of inactivity or longer and deep storage kicks in which is engines out and placed in transport crates. failure to comply and engines MUST go for overhaul.

Nomad110
19th Mar 2013, 21:20
Would this be in the RFM? I don't recall ever seeing it at least for the EC-130.

MightyGem
19th Mar 2013, 22:27
We have a spare EC135T in our hangar. It will need to be ground run once a week.

lowfat
19th Mar 2013, 22:31
rfm is the rotor flight manual.. how to operate the helicopter..... nothing to do with maintenance .... you need to check the maintenance manuals for the engine and helicopter.....

Nomad110
19th Mar 2013, 23:58
Wow that's neat. So bench run an engine once a week to keep it up just in case you need it.

helicopterray
20th Mar 2013, 02:30
On a serviceable aircraft, you must run the engine for 5 minutes at ground idle every 7 days, as per the Maintenance Manual 71-05-01-530-801-A01.

If you don't want to run it up, carry out the internal corrosion as per the Maintenance Manual chapter 71-06-01-620-801-A01, and motor the engine over for 15 seconds, 3 times, every month.

It's been there for a few years now.

Devil 49
25th Mar 2013, 21:54
Check reference 71-05-01-530-802-A01

"Storage of an engine installed on
airframe
storage"

"Every week:
- Run the engine at ground idle for 5 minutes..."

Wonder what that means to a maintenance professional, which I'm not.

Agaricus bisporus
25th Mar 2013, 22:34
Sheet! No wonder no one can afford to keep helos then.

Nigh on the kiss of death?

as365n4
25th Mar 2013, 23:44
According to: 71-05-01-951-012

7 days as a maximum | no storage | Air inlet blanks and exhaust pipe installed, airframe cowls closed.
6 months as a maximum | no storage | If engine can be operated: After 30 days, drain the original oil and replace it with new equivalent oil. Each week, operate the engine for at least 5 minutes to the ground idle.

everything else is classified as Short-term or Long-term storage.

So have a look in your specific Engine Manual for the correct procedure.

helicopterray
26th Mar 2013, 02:07
Wonder what that means to a maintenance professional, which I'm not.

It means, if you don't have a preservative in there, you have to run up the aircraft every 7 days.

Nubian
26th Mar 2013, 08:20
This must be one of those things that is being extencively overlooked I recon.
I, for not knowing about it, have picked up machines parked at airports around, or operated out of bases where the machines may have been parked for a few weeks between missions, and never ever heard about this.

What does the manuals for other engine-manufactures say on this point??

Nomad,
I think MightyGem was referring to a spare aircraft, not just an engine for the EC135T. Which will make things abit easier to sort out.

ericferret
27th Mar 2013, 11:39
Remember that the aircraft storage requirements are totally different to the engine requirements. If you are talking about an aircraft with engines fitted then you have to comply with both.

The storage issue is actually a minor nightmare. I suspect that a large number of aircraft go out of storage limits and then the warranty issue raises its ugly head.

Mac the Knife
27th Mar 2013, 12:13
Interesting thread.

"Twelve of the South African Air Force’s 26 Gripen fighter jets are in long-term storage, as the Air Force does not have the funding to fly them."

I don't know how many of the BAE Hawks are in storage or out of storage limits.

I wonder how much it would cost to reactivate them?

Mac

Aucky
27th Mar 2013, 13:30
rfm is the rotor flight manual.. how to operate the helicopter..... nothing to do with maintenance .... you need to check the maintenance manuals for the engine and helicopter.....

Yes, but as a pilot, or owner, who reads the maintenance manual... I would say that this very much falls under how to operate a helicopter if it must be operated every 7 days. Thats not very long. I had never heard of this before but don't fly the 120. Are most 120 pilots/owners aware of this? Thanks for raising it...

helicopterray
28th Mar 2013, 02:21
I had never heard of this before but don't fly the 120. Are most 120 pilots/owners aware of this?

Not just the 120. Anything with a Turbomeca engine.

Aucky
28th Mar 2013, 07:20
Presumably if the A/C is unserviceable preventing a ground run for more than 7 days (MR/TR issue etc) then maintenance can get around this somehow without having to remove engines for a bench run?

J&K
28th Mar 2013, 10:12
It's not just Turbomeca engines, P&WC and R-R have their own preservation requirements too, and not too dissimilar if I remember right. Piston engines are also included, Lycoming have MM requirements and a Service Letter on the subject (confusingly the Lycoming MM and the SL say different things).

It's nothing new, it's been in the MM's for a long time, it may be overlooked by operators but it's certainly a hot topic with the regulators.

Brilliant Stuff
28th Mar 2013, 10:26
Shame that this info is not in the FLM...

What happens though when the aircraft is having a check done on it which takes more than 7 days?? Difficult to run the engine then when the whole aircraft is in bits?

What advice is given then?

belly tank
28th Mar 2013, 11:26
We have an B2 and maintained by Eurocopter themselves. I put this to my engineer today and yes he recommends a ground run once a week, however as he said there are aircraft that come into the Eurocopter hangar for maintenance and sometimes not run for weeks or months.

The impression I got was that it is good to run every week but certainly not a showstopper. This advice is from an EC Chief engineer. However I must add a disclaimer to do your own research :ok:

as365n4
28th Mar 2013, 21:18
Your EC Chief Engineer is walking on very thin ice. :uhoh:

If you can't operate the Helicopter every 7 days you don't need to take the engine off or something.
But what you should do: clean the Engine with White Spirit externally and do a comp wash for the Air Path.
Change the Oil every 30 days, because it disintegrates (i.e. the additives and other stuff flocculates).
Remove the drive shaft / liaison tube and crank the engine three times for 15 seconds, give the starter generator generous time to cool down in between.

This procedure is recommended by Turbomeca and published in Chapter 71 as well. (Storage of a Turboshaft Engine).
:ok: