PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow Preposed Double Length

G-OE
18th Mar 2013, 16:49
Don't know whether you have heard of the idea of fixing the problem of more runways needed for heathrow. We have all heard the arguments of the Thames airport and the expansion, but this idea interested me:
The general idea was doubling each runway length and splitting it into 2. One end for departure and one end for arrival. I thought this was asking for trouble. Any opinions?

General idea being one aircraft touches down on the near end, meanwhile halfway along the runway another aircraft takes off while the first slows to a standstill.

Trouble if you ask me.
Opinions if you would...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Mar 2013, 17:42
I think this should have been posted on 1st April...

PAXboy
18th Mar 2013, 17:48
It crops up in several threads, the most recent being: http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/200585-heathrow-124.html

Fairdealfrank
19th Mar 2013, 23:34
If the government sticks to its ludicrous "no new rwys in the south east", this may be the only option!

There is, of course, the problem of a reservoir in the way for the lengthening of 09R/27L unless the resultant "four" rwys are considerably shorter than at present.

One may have expected some safety constraints, but as it is proposed by a former BA pilot who would know LHR inside out, perhaps these are not as significant as the less experienced might think.

Suspect that the biggest stumbling block is that it will mean permanent mixed mode operations and the end of flightpath residents' daily half-day of quiet.

Expect that HACAN down at Clapham (or is it vauxhall?) are "on
manoeuvres" already!