PDA

View Full Version : NZ Regular Air Transport Service Reqs.

Ixixly
17th Mar 2013, 23:56
Hi All,

Trying to wrap my head around some rules here from NZ. What are the requirements for an Aircraft to operate a Regular Air Transport Service (RPT) under the NZ CAA Rules?

So far I can find the definition of RATS, being same flight 4 times or more within a 28 day period, and obviously the Part 108 Security requirements, but is there any more? Searched through Part 119, Part 121, Part 125 and Part 135 and couldn't find any more, is it just as simple as satisfying the Part 108 Requirements, putting the procedures in your Ops Manual and having it approved?

Coming from the Aus scene this seems a bit odd, wonderfully simplistic, but odd, so I keep feeling like I'm missing something!! Like no IFR Requirements, No pilot requirements beyond the norm, no specific instrument requirements etc...etc...

c100driver
18th Mar 2013, 01:02
Ixixly, it really is that simple. To operate any air transport operation you need a Part 119 Air Operators Certificate.

This is the master document that says what you need in the way of senior personal etc. you then pick which type of operation you want to regarding the size of aircraft (135 small, 125 medium or 121 large).

Write your ops manual on how you intend to operate, get CAA to approve your manual and away you go.

CAA are just looking at how you intend to comply with the rules, they don't care about anything else.

Ixixly
18th Mar 2013, 01:17
I'm an Aussie, and I can safely say there are now 2 good things to come from NZ, the CAA Rules and Oyster Bay Sav Blanc :E

Does this mean I have to hand back my Aus Passport? :\

tail wheel
18th Mar 2013, 05:59
During the relatively sane, rational period pre 1988, Australia had a similarly simple Air Navigation Regulation 203 exemption enabling conduct of certain RPT commuter services by air charter operators, utilising aircraft < 12,500 pounds. Then the insanity began..........

27/09
18th Mar 2013, 09:13
To add to what c100driver said you also need to comply with Part 91, parts 119 and 135/125/121 will add any requirements additional to Part 91.

You could operate RPT VFR in a PA28. I can think of one operator running RPT in a PA28, PA32R, and PA34 utilising the aircraft based on PAX No.s and wx.

LPS500
19th Mar 2013, 06:33
It's not quite that simple. Rule Part 1 states "4 or more".

So that really means if you are operating more than 3 then its a regular air transport (passenger) service.

So you can fly A-B, in, out, and in. Your next out is 4!

Confirmed by Airline Group Ops Inspector.

Personally I think the intent of the definition was meant to mean more than 4, but there you go......

By the way I'm an ex 119, 135, 125, 121 QA Manager. I doubt though, that adds any credibility to my interpretation of the rules. :uhoh: