PDA

View Full Version : 2 prisoners escape Quebec jail in helicopter March 2013

rotornut
17th Mar 2013, 23:11
Quebec police looking for 2 prisoners who escaped jail in helicopter | CP24.com (http://www.cp24.com/news/quebec-police-looking-for-2-prisoners-who-escaped-jail-in-helicopter-1.1199554)

Agaricus bisporus
17th Mar 2013, 23:19
Most people achieve that in court...

Ah! The difference a preposition can make!

topendtorque
17th Mar 2013, 23:59
This jail break by helicopter thing is becoming quite a sport. I wonder how long before it becomes a spectator sport?
tet

Nigel Osborn
18th Mar 2013, 00:46
Tet

We had some good ones in Sydney a few years ago!:ok:

rotornut
18th Mar 2013, 03:32
They caught the bad guys:
Daring prison escape ends in arrests (http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertainment/escape+from+J%C3%A9r%C3%B4me+prison+helicopter/8111885/story.html)

Jet Ranger
18th Mar 2013, 06:12
New Olympic discipline :E

JR

PANews
18th Mar 2013, 08:15
The type used is thought provoking..... images show an R44 Raven of Heli-Tremblant [Quebec Helicopters] which the operators limit to three passengers on jaunts across the sights ....

During this escape it seems we had a pilot..... a man with a gun.... a man to throw the rope out and two escapees on a long line from the hover. Not sure EASA would like that combination :=

Who says we need S-92s for SAR!!!!:D

Coconutty
18th Mar 2013, 08:46
Makes you wonder about the Passenger checks carried out pre-flight.

Don't they weigh passengers and check their "luggage" ?

OK, You might miss the gun tucked inside clothing, but what about the rope -
Were the passengers just taking it along for the ride ? !

One of the escapees told reporters "I am ready to die. My life is over." Does that explain his choice of aircraft ? :E

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

helihub
18th Mar 2013, 11:47
In the last few days Ukraine have also put in a bid to support Canada's proposal for "helicopter jail breaking" becoming an Olympic sport.......

Helicopter Prison Escape Attempt Foiled in Ukraine | Crime | RIA Novosti (http://en.rian.ru/crime/20130316/180062204.html)

topendtorque
18th Mar 2013, 12:07
Does that explain his choice of aircraft ?Extreme jail break:{

Actually Mrs.tet just saw the article on it on a news site, "three blades!" she reckons, a close second IMO there Coco.

If it was in the Olympics we could use real guns to spice it up a bit. I bags being the shooter on board to soften resistance. We could have a class for feral jail breakers, an all.:{:{

Saw a demonstration on TV recently, most were lampooning pollies. An image floated past the camera, the back view of a protestor with what appeared as a lump of ten inch bore casing about a foot long planted on his scone with two great ears, bigger than mickeys. You guessed it, the decal stated, "extreme wing nut".

Almost wet myself.

cheers tet.

Jet Ranger
18th Mar 2013, 12:27
Maybe it's time for EASA to consider a new rating ... "Helicopter jail breaking" :}

JR

teeteringhead
18th Mar 2013, 12:59
If it was in the Olympics we could use real guns to spice it up a bit. and why not? Early 20th Century Olympics included live pigeon shooting - none of this clay rubbish!

rotornut
19th Mar 2013, 16:51
Photos here:
Hijacked chopper suspects arrested | Canada | News | Northern News (http://www.northernnews.ca/2013/03/17/hijacked-helicopter-used-in-maximum-security-prison-escape)

Louietheflyer
20th Mar 2013, 06:10
I went from google to wiki and found this list. List of helicopter prison escapes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_helicopter_prison_escapes)

rotornut
16th Mar 2016, 04:48
Video of helicopter escape from St-Jérôme jail made public - Montreal - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/video-helicopter-jail-escape-1.3492898)

John Eacott
16th Mar 2016, 09:13
_Q2vpRDyvZs

Ofvx94cX1FM&

2VfpJodPpDE

Dynamic rollover anyone?

What a cluster :p

SilsoeSid
16th Mar 2016, 09:20
Interesting to see what's going on in the cockpit from around 1:10 :uhoh:

rotornut
16th Mar 2016, 12:22
Then there was the Charles Bronson movie, Breakout using an Alouette II.

malabo
16th Mar 2016, 14:09
Sales pitch for the R44. 3 POB, a jag of gas, knotted rope with two out-of-shape felons (obviously, they couldn't even pull themselves up on the roof) dangling below. Clean snatch vertical lift and flyaway.

On the first lift the rope is tied off in the cabin and goes down between the skids. On the second the rope has now got one wrap around the skid in front of the front spreader bar. And yet the inexperienced pilot is able to pull everyone off and fly away. Odd they could hang onto the rope tight enough to Mary Poppins their way away but couldn't pull themselves up even a foot. Top guy even brushed off the security light without losing his grip.

Luckily the rope didn't snag on something on that last lift.

W&B calc? Pretty capable helicopter.

fijdor
16th Mar 2016, 17:46
I was there, close by when that happened, could not see anything but could hear the noise the 44 was making when he pulled those guys out of there.
Did not know it was a jail breaking, did not even realized the sound was coming from the prison.just found out later.
He must have pulled the gusts out of that machine, because all the guys excepted the pilot are more than 200 lbs each.

Not long after that Transport Canada made a new rule stating that you cannot overfly a Provincial prison (already exist for Fed prisons) unless you are at a certain minimum altitude and distance from the perimeter of the prison.

Everybody feel safer now knowing that. (sarcasm)

JD

Zombywoof
16th Mar 2016, 23:46
Man with gun to pilot: "Take me to this jail rooftop or I'll shoot you".

Pilot has no choice, lands on rooftop.

Pilot to man with gun: "You are now in a federal penitentiary. How were you planning on leaving? It's a sure bet if you shoot me, that won't be happening."

Man with gun: "Hmmm.... you might have a point there....."

SilsoeSid
16th Mar 2016, 23:53
".... however if Bob, who just so happens to be at your house with your wife and kids, doesn't get my phone call on the hour ..... "

Zombywoof
17th Mar 2016, 00:20
Oh, that only happens in the movies. :)

Agile
17th Mar 2016, 05:16
Still impressed the R44 raven 1 could lift those 5 guys and climb out rather well, I can imagine that cold air (snow) and likely low altitude helped. I don`t see that happening on a hot muggy day.

Could any of the perpetrator do the math before they started that plan, They were captured 50Km away, did the aircraft bring them as is that far.

aa777888
17th Mar 2016, 11:54
Armed baddie in the cockpit = no MP limits.

Nescafe
17th Mar 2016, 12:07
Armed baddie in the cockpit = no MP limits.

Perhaps, but NR is oblivious to the threats.

Dynamic Roller
17th Mar 2016, 19:36
Gun to head, no NR limit. Could operate at 110%, WOT, if needed. That's tons of extra power, literally.

Caboclo
17th Mar 2016, 19:51
In the movies, prison guards always carry guns. Is that not true in real life?

rotornut
18th Mar 2016, 00:12
In the movies, prison guards always carry guns. Is that not true in real life?
I don't know about provincial jails in Quebec. But I sure saw a guard at a Federal institution in Saskatchewan with a Diemaco C7 (an improved M16) pointing it into the exercise yard.

Robbo Jock
21st Mar 2016, 12:25
Was that as you were landing or as you were lifting with the prisoners on board? :-)