PDA

View Full Version : lOOKing for work can anyone help?

Mr 5mith
24th Apr 2002, 11:35
Hello all just a quick post to see if anyone out there might be able to help?

Im a CPL/IR holder with a nice new shinny FI(r) rating. Im looking for full time work as an instructor but so far everyone where ive been to or tried contacting doesnt require any more staff.
Im willing to relocate but would prefer something in the south of england. Ive been to just about every airfield near me and pumped out a load of CVs and made numerous phone calls but havent really got anywhere yet. So im asking my fellow Ppruners for some help.
Im beginning to consider if nothing happens here maybe the States as an option. I was wondering whether ot not there is much demand for JAA instructors over the pond? can anyone advise?
Any help with my questions would be greatfully appreaciated.

Many thanks
Smithy

essouira
25th Apr 2002, 22:22
1. Be careful to get a visa if you want to work in the states. Your US employer can't usually get one for you as a flying instructor so you will have to be recruited to a job which needs you to have some sort of higher educational qualification (of course it goes without saying that the job would need you to have a flying instructor rating too - eg marketing director of a CAA approved flying school!).
2. There are plenty of part-time instructing jobs around in the south east but I know a few people who have had problems getting full time posts. The best way is to go visit clubs and talk yourself in.
3. The industry needs new instructors who really want to teach instead of just seeing it as a painful step on the way to something "bigger and better" - so I, for one, send you lots of good wishes for success in finding a school in which to teach. Don't give up - the opening is out there somewhere.

regional guy
26th Apr 2002, 15:23
essouira,

"Be careful to get a visa if you want to work in the states. Your US employer can't usually get one for you as a flying instructor so you will have to be recruited to a job which needs you to have some sort of higher educational qualification (of course it goes without saying that the job would need you to have a flying instructor rating too - eg marketing director of a CAA approved flying school!)"

Actually there is a way around that problem. Most schools will enroll you in their ATP program (as long as the instructor has less than 1500hrs) on a M-1 or maybe even a J-1 visa, and you can build hrs. This is not really considered 'work' but rather gaining experience towards and ATP license and the pay will be very low.