PDA

View Full Version : Tayside Aviation- Weather??

CaptainCriticalAngle
17th Mar 2013, 18:22
Anyone here trained at Tayside Aviation?

Was the weather OK? Sounds like a silly Q but I'm just worried that in the winter there may not be as many good flying days as in the South?

Or am I being silly?

Cheers

4redsyourdead
17th Mar 2013, 20:24
Trained at ACS which is in Perth around 5 miles to the west of Dundee. Trained during the winter months January-April and have to say really the weather wasn't a big issue for me. Most days seemed to be flyable, loosing out in around 10 days due to weather. If anything I would look at the opportunity to train in Scotland as a chance to improve your decision making process with regards to weather and to challenge you with the variety of weather we have to offer.

CaptainCriticalAngle
17th Mar 2013, 23:17
Thank you. Food for thought. Can I ask what you're doing now?

4redsyourdead
18th Mar 2013, 00:01
Got a job three months after I left ACS flying the 737 :)

CaptainCriticalAngle
18th Mar 2013, 13:59
Brilliant. Well done. I can't wait to get started.

RJ.146
18th Mar 2013, 20:41
I can echo 4reds but again at ACS at Perth.. (well worth a look)

Muddy Boots
1st May 2013, 19:52
ACS Perth is a lot more professional than the Dundee flight school. Given the choice between the two.

Richard Phillips
2nd May 2013, 11:10
@Muddyboots, how so?

TriBeCa
2nd May 2013, 16:57
ACS may be more unprofessional to be honest. Their aircraft are not as tidy as Tayside's. Particularly for PPL and the IR. They do have a nice Arrow though.

AV83R
2nd May 2013, 18:30
I've flown at tayside, and I'm back up there in July of this year for 13 hours. I never had a problem with the weather and I went in February. Was a wee bit nippy and dull, but apart from that I had no issues.

Contacttower
2nd May 2013, 19:12
Both ACS and Tayside are very professional. In my mind perhaps ACS has a slight edge but that is probably just because I have done more training with them. Both are great.

The weather can be an issue but not really any more so than anywhere else in the UK. Perth and Dundee are more towards the east coast of Scotland and tend not to be as bad as the western areas. During the winter the biggest difference compared to down south is probably the strength of the winds aloft, 30-40kts at 3000ft is quite common. People go out and do their IR tests in that though and for the most part do well.

Procedural NDB to RWY 09 at Dundee, with an off airport beacon and a massive tailwind, followed by a circle to land to 27. If you can do that single engine in a Seneca you can do pretty much anything instrument flying wise! :ok: