PDA

View Full Version : Question on All Airlines

guern123
17th Mar 2013, 08:58
Without mentioning the airline in question, I have now TWICE been on one of their flights and no-one has been sat by the emergency exit doors. Last time this happened on my next flight (with a different airline) they moved me to by the emergency exit door and when I asked "why did they just not leave the seat empty?" they said "some one is required to sit there". I was not sure if this was an individual airline requirement or if meant to be standard operating procedure across all airlines.
The airline that failed to put people by the doors just seems a bit laid back with safety issues as an example on my return flight we WERE by the emergency exit doors and we WERE asked if we were happy sat there when I replied yes the statement from the stewardess was "OK the instructions are on the door". I have also heard some one else say that they came back on one flight operated by this airline and only 3 people were on it and the steward said "Seeing as there are only 3 of you on board the exits are here and here" that was the full safety demo.
I also do not remember the crew checking our seats were upright trays away, bags under seats and seat belts on, although I cannot confirm this as I was more still thinking over the no people in the exit rows.
Are there written rules / procedures that airlines must follow or is it all down to individual airlines ? Although I have preferred airlines and may complain about certain ones when it comes to safety all airlines need to comply and be criticisedif not performing their duties

JC25
17th Mar 2013, 10:40
Generally (there may be exclusions that I am not aware of) if there are self help exits on an aircraft, they must be occupied for take off and landing and an approved briefing given to the passenger(s) sat there.

If they are full size, crew operated doors there is no requirement for passengers to sit there.

The procedures will be laid down in the airline's SOP manual and approved by overseeing authority.

As your profile says you're from Guernsey, there are only a few airlines it could be and as far as I'm aware they should all ensure self help exits are occupied. I know with 100% certainty that Flybe insist that the self help exits are manned and briefed accordingly and it's clearly explained in their SOPs and training.