PDA

View Full Version : Sea King HAR3/3A differences.

Guzz
16th Mar 2013, 15:59
Evening all, geeky question alert!

I've been commissioned to build a model of a RAF Sea King. Can anyone highlight the differences between a HAR3 and 3A please? I'd like to build the model as accurately as possible...

Tanks in advance!

Guzz.

Lynxman
16th Mar 2013, 17:01
The differences were internal structure I believe but I stand to be corrected. The Mk 3As introduced the monobloc main rotor gearbox lift frames at stns 243.5 and 290 to try and alleviate the cracking that the old pre modification lift frames suffered from. I should know, I repaired enough of them!

4thright
16th Mar 2013, 18:17
Sent you a PM

Old-Duffer
16th Mar 2013, 19:17
Guzz,

Sorry to appear pedantic but do you want to build a 3 or a 3A?

Serious question.

Old Duffer

Guzz
16th Mar 2013, 19:36
Good question OD, I'm waiting on a tail number to find out! I'm just curious as to the differences as the kit I have is either one or the other, and if its not the one I need, I need to know what I have to alter.... Clear as mud?!

Guzz.

Ivan Rogov
16th Mar 2013, 20:46
I think that the HF aerial on the 3 goes from port sponson, on 3A is near rear port lookout window so you shouldn't stick your head there when TXing. Was lucky enough to have a couple of holds with them a long time ago :ok:

TorqueOfTheDevil
16th Mar 2013, 22:56
Ivan has it pretty much right - that and the registration/tail letter are the only significant external differences.

tucumseh
17th Mar 2013, 07:49
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc291/exploringtheblue/SeaKingHAR3A.jpg

tucumseh
17th Mar 2013, 08:12
The above is a very early photo of a new Mk3A.

And a 78 Sqn Mk3

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc291/exploringtheblue/SeaKingHARMk378Sqn_zpsb671668f.jpg

extpwron
17th Mar 2013, 08:59
The big stand off difference for me is the arrangement of aerials. Apart from the HF aerial already mentioned the 3A has three multiband radios with large black spade aerials (1 on the spine and 2 on the belly). If I am ever trying to decide whether I am looking at a 3 or 3A I look for the spine aerial.

Guzz
17th Mar 2013, 22:28
Sweet, thanks for the replies guys. My next question is do they all now have the filter box (EAPS??) I front of the engines or do some still have the system shown in the pictures in a previous post? The kit doesn't have the filters....

Guzz.

No Vote Joe
18th Mar 2013, 15:28
HF and V/UHF aerials are different on the 3A as previously posted, as well as the removal of the ADF towel rail found below the cabin door on the 3. Also, I don't think there's a Decca aerial bulge behind the cabin door, but can't be sure.

Both types have the sand filters fitted.

18th Mar 2013, 21:06
As mentioned - 3 x multiband aerials, the different HF aerial, a combined loop and sense aerial for ADF and a Loran aerial.

Since the introduction of HUMS, the 3s have the same OAT probe on the belly under the personnel door.

All 3 and 3A have EAPS/SNIPS (sandfilter box).

Oh and they are newer and have far better avionics and a properly NVG compatible cockpit lighting setup.

Inside there is an improved intercom and station box setup with a station box for the winchman and a doctors net along with EXIS emergency exit lighting.

Roadster280
18th Mar 2013, 21:31
What scale is the kit? At 1:72, it's a bit fiddly. If it's 1:24, then that's a different matter.

dragartist
18th Mar 2013, 22:04
Tuc,
Thanks for posting the pic of the grey SeaKing.
I designed the RWR radomes and radio installation back in 82 for the Falklands. never had a pic. do you mind if I pinch it?

Funny story from the era: we had just put a low priorty job to bed in order to do this rush job. some time during the installation of the ARC 340 wireless tuning unit under the floor my mate lost his steel rule. the a/c deployed south. he was good enough to own up and missing tool procedures initiated including flash signals issued to order a search. (the floor had to come up- they must have loved us!) no loose articles found. the guy was s#itting himself because he was a good guy who cared.

Months went past and after a few other rush jobs we went back to the Andover job (XS644 if anyone knows it) Opening the put away file of drawings out flopped his steel rule.

Lots of learning points from this about unorthorised tools and equipment near aircraft I will never forget and continue to passed this story on to others so they learn from history. I retired last year but the guy involved is still in doing great things to ensure the latest version of Puma is safe.

As young men in those days we were rushing around with our hair on fire 18 hour days for weeks on end, we may have had the odd Sunday off. I spent the last 10 years doing UORs without the same sence of urgency from others. frustrating particularly since my boy was out a Bastion with the AH 64. I wish I could have been with him.

dragartist
18th Mar 2013, 22:10
Should have added that the box antena just forward of the German hand granade was Omega. fortunate that there was a beacon down at fuego del sol or whatever it was called of the southern tip of south america. We also fitted omega to a number of other things.

Just going to get the charts out to check my geography!

tucumseh
19th Mar 2013, 07:49
Dragartist

Another one, from SKTU at Culdrose (or Culrose as it is now known). Sorry, I can't date it but they moved to St Mawgan in 1992.

The above picture is in the Falkland Islands and that's a Argie 155mmm howitzer (it says here).

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc291/exploringtheblue/SK3SKTU_zps36ba4dc7.jpg

ARC340. I remember we bought them with VHF Homing Units for SK4, then for some reason ditched them. Then 20 years later refitted them. I know the radio was a superb design. There were no compromises that you find in multimode/broadband radios.

Farrier
21st Mar 2013, 13:40
Somebody has a sense of humour:
Playmobil Search and Rescue Helicopter | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261188488004)

I don't think they hold at Valley though, do they?

Farrier

Waddo Plumber
21st Mar 2013, 14:12
If you are striving for perfection for the later fit, don't forget there is a HUMS RTB tracker camera below the windscreen.

Mick Strigg
21st Mar 2013, 15:10
A

Seaking8959
21st Mar 2013, 17:33
Are the "Alphas" equipped with MFD's in the Cockpit?