PDA

View Full Version : Noob question about IR

Seraphiel
16th Mar 2013, 11:59
Hello all

I am an aspiring helicopter pilot and i am currently just in the beginning of my course for a CPL (H) + IR (H) integrated since i started the course i have heard some of the older helicopter students (there are just 3 of us) in my school talk about how important is to have an IR rating in a multi engine Helicopter versus the single engine (piston) IR that the school offers.
I'm just wondering how important really is this ?
Can someone shed some light into this for me?

kotysky
16th Mar 2013, 12:47
Its vey important, but if you have a good "friend", its doesnt mind...:p

paco
16th Mar 2013, 13:04
The multi is a big step in the career, so it is important. Be aware (if you are doing an EASA licence) that if you want command at a later date, the CPLH/IR exams don't cut it - you will have to take all 14 exams again for the ATP.

Phil

Torquetalk
16th Mar 2013, 13:09
Wierd answer kotysky.

Seraphilel, your post will probably get wrapped by a moderator to a thread which has discussed just that question in detail. Do a search and you will find a lot of information (and sometimes uninformed opinion) which will help you make an informed decision.

You may find that the answer to the question is not definitive and will depend to a great extent on where and for who you want to work. Happy reading.

TT

Seraphiel
17th Mar 2013, 11:49
Thx for the info :ok:

19th Mar 2013, 12:36
Paco,

In light of the CAA not recognising our mil procedural IR, there will inevitably be a flood of us looking to get the qualification.

I gather that the CAA want all first time IRs to be examined by their dedicated examiners rather than a company examiner.

As QSPs I think we are exempt from the 15 hours requirement and can get away with as few as 5 hours (which could also count as a type conversion on, say, a twin squirrel).

We will still need to do all the IR exams at ATPLH level.

It seems feasible that a QSP could achieve an IR for around £5K.

Are any or all my assumptions above false?

If you are able to provide any help or information it would be greatly appreciated.

flight beyond sight
19th Mar 2013, 12:50
Part O in CAP 804 is very clear
If you hold a twin rating then all you have to do is 3 hours plus test for a new twin type rating, and there is no actual requirement for IR training if you have held a military proceedural instrument rating ! I would however suggest that at least 2 hours would be of great benefit before attempting the test.

paco
19th Mar 2013, 13:11
crab - your assumptions are quite correct but a couple of practical problems arise, namely that there seem to be only 4 initial examiners in the country at the moment, none of them with the CAA. So I'm told anyway.

However, the rest can be sorted - if you give me a PM I can go into more detail.

Phil