PDA

View Full Version : 2 x C30s in an AS355?

mickjoebill
16th Mar 2013, 06:38
I've noticed that a BO1O5, fitted with 2 x 250-C30s and Superlifter blades is being promoted as the most powerfull heli of its type for aerial camerawork.
Google says engine mod was originally done for EMS work at altitude.
http://www.facebook.com/cineronsystems
The Ultimate Camera Platform Helicopter on Vimeo

Any chance of 2 x C30s squeezing into a AS355?
Would the gearbox be the weakest link?

Mickjoebill

helicopterray
20th Mar 2013, 02:53
The main gearbox is the weakest link, and one would be better off fitting the new RR500 engines for better performance, fuel economy, (relatively speaking), and reduced maintenance costs.

spinwing
20th Mar 2013, 10:43
Mmmmm .....

Well I don't know about it being a 'great camera ship' ... certainly they will have to keep that rotor system sweetly tracked and balanced (including that tail rotor) to keep the somewhat harsh vibrations under control ....

It will be a fun machine though .... ;)

Chris P Bacon
20th Mar 2013, 12:25
The BO105LS has two C28C engines installed. Rolls Royce have the C30M engine for installation into the AS350D, producing 650 SHP at 1337 deg F.

Two of those in a AS355F should do you nicely.

spinwing
20th Mar 2013, 21:44
Mmmmm ...

I wonder ... is the C30 installation due to the difficulty of find C28 engines or is there some other reason?

:hmm:

Ian Corrigible
20th Mar 2013, 23:40
is the C30 installation due to the difficulty of find C28 engines or is there some other reason?
CALSTAR's re-engining effort was driven by support concerns regarding the C28, Indy having announced an exit strategy for Series III support in the mid-2000s. As well as protecting its own BO105LS operation CALSTAR also hoped to find third party customers for the conversion, but the STC took longer than expected to complete, and by the time it reached the market there weren't many LS still in operation.

Steve Fosset became involved in the project for a while when he planned to set a [hover?] endurance record with the BO105/C30, but that project never came to fruition.

Benefits of the conversion included more power (+30%), lower operating costs (-40%), improved OEI safety and reduced emissions.

The main gearbox is the weakest link
Agreed. The BO105LS box is plumbed for C28s (832 shp combined TO rating), whereas the AS355 box is only rated for C20s or Arrius 1s (685 shp).

one would be better off fitting the new RR500 engines for better performance, fuel economy, (relatively speaking), and reduced maintenance costs
Can't see the business case for this myself. The relatively mild improvements offered (+5% power vs. the C20R) would never justify the cost for most operators, not to mention the difference in available support for the two types. Then there's the small issue of the RR500 project being 'on hold' (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/heli-expo-rolls-royce-shelves-rr500-until-light-aircraft-market-recovers-368247) due to a lack of customer interest...

I/C

JimBall
21st Mar 2013, 10:25
Hmmm. The strap line at Vimeo states: "the ability to operate higher then any other camera ship makes it THE Ultimate Camera Ship."

As someone who spends a lot of life sub-1500ft, a bit sub-500ft and never more than 10000ft - I can't see the word "ultimate" applying.

But in more pointed landscapes and outside controlled airspace....maybe there's a market.

Gimme a B3+ anytime. Or an R44 ENG.

spinwing
21st Mar 2013, 21:48
Mmmmm .....

Anyway, I think with the 105 ... the issue at altitude will be T/R authority !! :eek:

mickjoebill
21st Mar 2013, 22:12
it THE Ultimate Camera Ship."

They were saying it was the most powerful camera ship in the world.. until they were reminded that NHK TV (Japan) have a gaggle of AS 365s and EC 135s and that BK117 and EC135s are available for ad hoc jobs in various countries if required.
UK's Castle Air's HD A109 isn't far off power of 2 x C30s..

Mickjoebill

Ian Corrigible
21st Mar 2013, 22:47
NHK wasn't satisfied with a mere Dauphin camera ship:

http://www.ainonline.com/sites/default/files/uploads/japanese-operated_aw139_helicopter.jpg (http://www.agustawestland.com/news/first-all-nippon-helicopter%E2%80%99s-aw139-achieves-operational-readiness-electronic-news-gathering-mi)

Clearly in Japan size does matter.

I/C