PDA

View Full Version : Second Afghan VC

Bob Viking
16th Mar 2013, 01:48
BBC News - Victoria Cross for Afghan hero L/Cpl James Ashworth (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21810581)

Maybe not aircrew, but certainly military.
Not necessarily news to celebrate as such, since it will be a posthumous award, but there was a young man who has done his country proud.
BV (no smiley apt enough for this one!)

Chugalug2
16th Mar 2013, 08:37
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/Victoria_Cross_Medal_Ribbon_%26_Bar.png
Humbling. The British Armed Forces may be rapidly shrinking before our very eyes, but their quality in duty and sacrifice is exemplified by this posthumous award to L/Cpl James Ashworth VC 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards.
As to him not having been aircrew, so what? This forum would be a mean place if it did not honour such bravery, no matter of what Service.
Regarding the Royal Air Force, 26 VCs have been awarded in its history, 11 of which are held at the RAF Museum, Hendon.

CoffmanStarter
16th Mar 2013, 14:34
Well said C2.

Samuel
16th Mar 2013, 22:39
That BBC report is inaccurate. The Australian and NZ VCs are identical to the British version, made by the same jeweller from the same metal, the only difference being the addition of "VC NZ" or "VC Australia" to differentiate it from a British Award.

There have been three VC awards to Australians and one to a New Zealander in the NZSAS

Edited 'cos I can't count!:(

500N
16th Mar 2013, 22:51
Samuel

Who was the 4th VC for Australia awarded to ?

I thought only 3 had been awarded, the last one late last year
to Daniel Keighran, the other two to the SAS guys.

Anyway, congrats to this recipient.

Also, re ""It is understood the announcement will not be made
officially until next week."

is the following because of news organisations trying to be "first with the news" ?

I thought it was always bad form to publish something
of this level of standing until officially announced ?

Comments ?

rjtjrt
16th Mar 2013, 23:58
Sad that it is a postumous award.
A young man who served his country superbly.
I am sure his family will derive comfort from this, and will be justifiable proud, despite their sorrow.