PDA

View Full Version : Which brakes get the hottest during a landing?

akafrank07
15th Mar 2013, 02:53
The downwind (with a crosswind) wheel brakes.

Can anyone explain why this is?

cefey
15th Mar 2013, 02:57
You land at same IAS, however, your GS varies.
Tailwind - faster GS - need more breaking - getting hotter.

Lord Spandex Masher
15th Mar 2013, 03:12
Which pedal do you press in a cross wind landing?

WhyByFlier
15th Mar 2013, 13:16
On the ground the plane will try and weathercock into wind - this causes the downwind side to accelerate. Whilst decelerating using brakes the downwind brake will clearly have to decelerate more.

B2N2
15th Mar 2013, 19:36
Like Joe Biden would say........: MALARKEY :rolleyes:

First of all we don't really have enough information on the type of airplane here, that is why everybody is just taking a stab in the dark :suspect:

* Normal single engine tricycle gear, low or high wing doesnt matter;
Touchdown on upwind wheel first followed shortly by downwind wheel.
Directional control initially by rudder followed by rudder and nosewheel.
If the crosswind is significant maybe full rudder is required during the roll out.
Directional control is NOT accomplished by differential braking unless you are using the WRONG technique.

Lord Spandex Masher
15th Mar 2013, 19:47
Ah but B2 it is almost impossible to apply symmetrical braking with asymmetrical rudder which is what my question, had it been answered, was pointing towards. Differential braking, as a secondary effect, IS what happens, desirable or not. If you want to stop and stay straight then one side will get hotter than the other.

Me, I'd rather just let the autobrake do the hard work will I follow the white line.

B2N2
15th Mar 2013, 20:14
Ah but B2 it is almost impossible to apply symmetrical braking with asymmetrical rudder

Disagree with you there.
It requires some technique but is definitely not 'almost impossible'............:hmm:

WhyByFlier
15th Mar 2013, 20:26
B2N2 we are flying an aircraft not a text book. In very strong winds, using aileron in to wind will even cause the upwind brake to get hotter due to an increased load factor on that side.

Lord Spandex Masher
15th Mar 2013, 20:31
Ok not almost impossible but a technique rarely, if ever, taught or used. Glad to see that you don't disagree with the facts though...:hmm:

WhyByFlier
15th Mar 2013, 20:34
B2N2 always coordinates his or her turns perfectly too. The ball doesn't move.

PURPLE PITOT
15th Mar 2013, 21:16
I always heat up the right brakes more. Always put it down to being right handed/footed, and therefore being slightly stronger on my right side!

Flying Mechanic
18th Mar 2013, 10:37
I am a hot right brake foot aswell, typically at least extra 30 degrees on the right side.

akafrank07
21st Mar 2013, 19:34
Thanks for the replies guys :ok:

B2N2
22nd Mar 2013, 20:50
Two more questions for you key board warriors:

You are flying a light twin with counter rotating engines in a crosswind from the right.
Which engine runs hotter?

You are in a hot air balloon tethered to the ground.
A real pilot (with epaulettes) lights up a pipe.
There is a light breeze blowing from the North and the tether is released, which way is the smoke going?

:suspect:

Lord Spandex Masher
22nd Mar 2013, 21:03
Counter rotating engines or props?

Is the real pilot in the basket?

MCDU2
22nd Mar 2013, 21:26
And what if the balloon is on a conveyor belt?

Lord Spandex Masher
22nd Mar 2013, 21:49
Has it got wheels then?;)

mad_jock
23rd Mar 2013, 10:38
More to the point why would you ever want to use the breaks on an Islander anyway.

The thing is that slow anyway without trying to hold it back.

VNAVPTH
24th Mar 2013, 01:00
I take it that the OP is referring to a Bristol GS question bank Q and A?? It is the statement of JAA/CAA from the past that this is true, hence the existence of this much debated question.
However one particular aircraft manufacturer has done a study that shows the difference (apart from strong xwinds and ages of brake packs) is whether we drive automatic or manual cars!! I will try to find and post the link. On certain aircraft individual brake temps can be monitored. A hot left pair, on an otherwise benign day with equally aged packs, would allegedly indicate that the pilot drives a manual transmission car.

Dan the weegie
25th Mar 2013, 18:11
I always heat up the right brakes more. Always put it down to being right handed/footed, and therefore being slightly stronger on my right side!
Or your right leg is longer ;)

It would be totally normal to use a little differential braking while taxying a tailwheel aircraft and it be out of wind braking to counteract the weathercocking but I suspect the original question was trolling :)

PURPLE PITOT
25th Mar 2013, 18:43
Could be the old chap dressing to the left, and the ensuing trapage preventing full left brake application!:O

Piltdown Man
26th Mar 2013, 09:07
There is a light breeze blowing from the North and the tether is released, which way is the smoke going?

How strong is the wind? Which hemisphere & what latitude? How long after tether release?

Cough
26th Mar 2013, 09:18
I tend to find the hot brake is the one days away from a brake unit change...

Lightning Mate
27th Mar 2013, 15:40
The last serious jet I flew had a 40kts crosswind limit, nosewheel steering, a brake parachute, and a hook.

Wossa this stuff abaht 'ot brakes? :E