PDA

View Full Version : FAA/EASA CPL (A)/CPL (H) question

cefey
15th Mar 2013, 00:49
Hello guys,
Atm I have FAA CPL SEP (A) and working on my EASA CPL MEP (A). Which I should get within a month or two.

Now, I want to have H-license as well. European one, since it there I live.
What would be easiest/cheapest way for me to go?

FAA (A) to FAA (H) cost around $7000 and around $12000 for CPL. And then I guess I have to convert it to EASA, which probably isnt that cheap?

What about adding PPL (H) or CPL (H) to my EASA CPL (A) license?

Thank you for your help!

paco
15th Mar 2013, 06:42
They don't do addons - there is some cedit either way but essentially you have to take a complete licence.

cefey
15th Mar 2013, 20:22
Thank you, Paco.
So cheapest way, still might be doing my FAA CPL (H) first and then convert that one to EASA?
For FAA I need "only" 50hrs (H) and 150TT.

What about ground school for EASA? Is it like all 14-atpl exams all over again or is it just 2-3 subj?

zondaracer
16th Mar 2013, 04:18
If you convert to a European helicopter CPL, you still need 150 hrs in helicopters so with only 50hrs of rotary time you can't convert.

Also, take a look at FCL2. You will see that 150 hours of helicopter time counts for the CPL, but you need 250hrs to get a flight instructor rating. Also in Europe they have the concept of twin engine ratings for helicopters. It can get quite expensive if you decide to go that route. I know several helicopter instructors in Europe and I saw some job postings, and their response was "I'll apply but I don't have my multiengine instrument rating or multiengine rating and that's what they are asking for."

The EASA system just makes the helicopter licensing system ridiculously expensive if you want to be dual rated, so keep that in mind.

Fortunately, you don't have to do all 13 exams to go from airplane to helicopter.

paco
16th Mar 2013, 13:11
To convert TK wise, you will need to take 13 exams if you rely on the FAA CPL(H). If you want to bridge from the EASA CPL(A) it's only 5.

Try looking in CAP 804 from the UK CAA - there may be some answers in there if it hasn't changed in the last twenty minutes :)

Phil