PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Parkinson White for JAR FCL 1

cociasua
13th Mar 2013, 20:34
Hello there

My name is Andrei, i am 21 years old, i was a professional tennis player till recently when i decided to quit due to different reasons, one of them being the following:

I was diagnosed in 2010 with Wolf Parkinson White (WPW) syndrome, for which i sustained a catheter ablation in August 2010. The problem only occurred STRICTLY whilst practicing or during a tennis match, so only when under a lot of physical effort, i have never ever had any problems outside of the tennis court with this syndrome

Although doing the ablation, in April 2012 this problem has come back, but not as aggressively as before and certainly, the periods where i would have a very high heart rate were definitely shorter ( they used to be 10-20 mins in 2010, down to only 30 secs-2 mins max), also only and only on the tennis court, the so called episodes usually started after a sudden move after almost 30 minutes of intense running

My question is: since i did the catheter ablation in 2010 and also, since this problem has only occurred whilst under physical stress, what are my chances of succesfully obtaining a Class 1 medical license after the visit to the cardiology department?

Anxiously waiting for your answer.

homonculus
14th Mar 2013, 03:21
I would advise you to see your cardiologist.

WPW is an abnormal electrical pathway in the heart. The discharge goes the wrong way and this can cause fibrillation or other arrhythmias. It is one cause of sudden loss of consciousness in young fit people. The ablation simply identifies and burns the abnormal pathway so it is removed

If you have had a recurrence you need to see your cardiologist. You may need a repeat ablation. As you will be aware this is a potentially dangerous condition and should not be left. Although your problems arose with exercise you should still see your cardiologist and get it treated

I would hope nobody with untreated or recurrent WPW would ever get in an aircraft. If it is successfully treated you may well be able to get a medical after a period of time and with satisfactory reports from your cardiologist.