PDA

View Full Version : Singapore airport things to do

Ignore the HUD
13th Mar 2013, 12:48
I have a 11 hour gap between flights this December here and was looking for a reccomendation for places to eat etc. I wasnt planning on going through immigration.
I see on the airport web site there is a butterfly exhibition but couldnt ascertain if it was on the departure side of the terminals.
thanks

ExXB
13th Mar 2013, 15:11
Assuming an EU passport, or that you don't need a visa, you would be through immigration in less than 5 minutes. I can't recall ever having to wait for a immigration officer.

You can take the metro into town, do some shopping, or find a bar. Lots of nice places along the river for a drink.

SIN is nice, but not so nice I'd want to spend 11 hours there.

wub
13th Mar 2013, 16:06
You can take a free tour of Singapore

Free Singapore Tour - Changi Airport (http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/leisure-indulgences/free-singapore-tour)

Changi has a cinema, a swimming pool and an outdoor beer garden on the roof. Loads to do and a great airport, compared to many.

cavortingcheetah
13th Mar 2013, 18:00
Perhaps there's an airside hotel where a crew day room discount can be used.

thing
13th Mar 2013, 21:04
You can book a transit room for a minimum of 6 hours. Transit Hotel - Changi Airport (http://www.changiairport.com/in-transit/transit-hotel). Spend a couple of hours browsing around the airport (it really is magnificent) and then get your head down.

parabellum
14th Mar 2013, 00:08
SIN is nice, but not so nice I'd want to spend 11 hours there.

That's a bit tough, I had ten years there!:ok:

ChrisJ800
14th Mar 2013, 03:50
Plenty of cheap eateries in the airport such as the small upstairs food courts in the main terminals. Just follow the signs. Or ask or follow the SIA cabin staff if you are in their terminal. They go to the best value eateries in between flights, such as $4 laksa. Yum.

Dan Winterland
14th Mar 2013, 04:15
Changi is a good airport, but I would definately get out and go and see a bit of Singapore. In fact, with 11 hours - you could see most of it!

No Visa - lightning fast immigration - good taxis. Go and see it.

LondonPax
14th Mar 2013, 17:33
That's a bit tough, I had ten years there!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Were you like that guy in the Tom Hanks movie, who lived at CDG for several years?

More helpfully ... on food, if there's a Singapore style food court there, go to it. Singapore food courts are great!

And also, I agree with those that say get out and see some of Singapore. You'll have plenty of time.

Rush2112
16th Mar 2013, 03:30

That's a bit tough, I had ten years there!:ok:

I've had nearly 10 and he's not wrong!

Ignore the HUD
6th Jan 2014, 08:50
Thanks for the tips on the airport. I did book the transit hotel which was just as well as there always seemed to be a queue of people trying to get a room. I was tired so explored the airport and then slept before the next flight.
Overall I found the airport excellent with plenty of places to eat and drink. The butterfly garden was very nice as was the Carp pond.
One thing though, the drinks were expensive! 18 Euros for a large and small draught beer and 22 Euros for two glasses of very average wine! Guess I should stick to the water in future!

PAXboy
6th Jan 2014, 10:43
Thanks for reporting back, Ignore the HUD, as many folks don't.