PDA

View Full Version : Rolex Submariner at Dubai Duty Free

ManaAdaSystem
13th Mar 2013, 11:09
Hi guys,

Can any of you please check the price of a black Rolex Sub (with date) at DDF?
I'll be passing through in the near future, and may pick up one if the price is right. I'm in transit only (by flight, so this is aviation related), so no trip to the souk or mall is possible.
Are the DDF prices fixed or negotiable?
If any of you QR guys could do the same in Doha Duty Free, it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks a bundle!

Dirigible
13th Mar 2013, 11:45
From their website, the Submariner is not listed. The following Rolex products are offered along with prices (Dirhams/US$):

Rolex Oyster Turnograph steel bracelet 23,330.00 6,480.55
Rolex Oyster Professional from 26,280.00 7,300.00
Rolex Lady Oyster Perpetual from 21,550.00 5,986.11
Rolex Oyster Perpetual from 17,770.00 4,936.11

In my experience Dubai Duty Free is not good value for anything, despite its reputation.

ManaAdaSystem
13th Mar 2013, 12:29
Thanks, I have checked the DDF pricelist myself, but I would be really surprised if they don't have the Sub for sale. Who knows when they updated the info last.
I don't care if DDF is good value or not, all I want is to compare the price with what it costs where I am now. :ok:

Sonny Hammond
13th Mar 2013, 12:57
20000dhs for a watch? Have you heard of Casio?

J.L.Seagull
13th Mar 2013, 13:18
Even though I do wear a watch occasionally, I instinctively look at my phone to tell the time! :)

ManaAdaSystem
13th Mar 2013, 13:40
The Sub is more in the 30000 Dhs range. While they don't increase in value, they have a very good resale value if you want to get rid of them.
There are some really nice Seikos and Citizens out there as well, if you want something less expensive.
I had a Seiko when I was 12. It was cool. Then.
I don't carry my phone in my hand all the time, so I want something nice to tell me the time.

Lancelot37
13th Mar 2013, 14:15
Even though I do wear a watch occasionally, I instinctively look at my phone to tell the time!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now there's a thought, I wonder where my mobile phone is, I've only rcd and made one call on it this year, but I have £3 -54 left on it with Pay As You Go.
Should last me well into next year.

neilb767
13th Mar 2013, 14:15
Since we are on this topic,, where is the best paces to buy high end watches ? I heard that Malaysia was good, but not sure where. Perhaps someone could tell us where .

richard III
13th Mar 2013, 14:38
I don't own one but FO's that check everywhere for rolexes, buy them in Milan, about 4000 euro for a gmt, you get your tax back and a crew discount in the city

Sonny Hammond
13th Mar 2013, 14:39
Where ever manaada is selling his old ones!! :}

ManaAdaSystem
13th Mar 2013, 14:48
A GMT for 4000 USD is a steal if it is new. BTW, I don't sell my watches.

Sorry, You said Euros, but even at 4000 € it is really cheap. Too bad I'm not heading to Italy any time soon.

MD80rookie
13th Mar 2013, 16:07
Jomashop in NYC is really good. Bought my Omega from them 2003.

rpmranger
13th Mar 2013, 19:31
You can get that watch in BKK for about $20.

Old King Coal
13th Mar 2013, 19:33
So, a perceived need to wear a 'big watch'... often followed by that killer chat-up line of "Hi, I'm a pilot"... 'nuff said lads, 'nuff said!

If my pilot colleague turns up wearing some overtly expensive behemoth of a timepiece (particularly if it's one of those 'pilot watches' with all those dials and, worse yet, one of those Breitling's with a built-in ELT), it somehow always puts me on my guard.

One can probably learn an awful lot about a chap's psych, based upon the watch he wears and / or the car he drives, i.e. of 'image' he's trying to project... along with those chaps that, given half a chance, would wear a leather flying jacket (plus epaulets on the outside!) to go fly in his Boebus airliner... I'm sure you all know their sort; typically big on 'image' but short on ability?! :E

Arfur Dent
13th Mar 2013, 20:06
So if you drive a 911 to work and wear a Breitling you can't fly an aeroplane???? It's you I'd worry about mate with judgements like that. Now, where's my Maserati.:ok:

flying lid
13th Mar 2013, 20:11
Night Bazaar Chiang Mai Thailand. Look for a smiling little pleasant chap with a small stall opposite the Night Bazaar Hotel. £25 (10 years ago) for a Breitling Navitimer. Keeps perfect time, looks the part though the little dials don't work !!! :cool:

Lid

KBPsen
13th Mar 2013, 20:19
I somehow doubt you could get a new (and genuine) GMT Master for 4000 euros. Someone somewhere is not being honest if that is the price.

If someone really was selling to that price I would buy a suitcase full in a heartbeat.

Capt Chambo
13th Mar 2013, 22:30
The duty free shop at Amsterdam airport was the cheapest place when I bought my GMT Master II, 10+ years ago.

(About £600 cheaper than the Middle East (Dubai, Bahrain), Europe, Asia and the USA, after adjusting for exchange rates and refundable taxes)

Payscale
14th Mar 2013, 05:33
CPH is good because off the high VAT, which they return to you. Dont use those Tax Free for Tourists things. They rob you.

A good watch is a god investment this is easy to liquidate if you need to later. My Rolex has done better than my stocks..go figure

scandistralian
14th Mar 2013, 12:36
@ Old King Coal - Some people choose to pinch the hotel pens, wear a cheap watch and cheap shoes. Others opt to invest in a nice pen, wear a nice watch and buy a pair of shoes that will last; Since when did this degrade ones ability to fly?

@Mana - Dubai Duty Free prices are ok, you can try an negotiate a discount, if you are travelling anywhere near Hong Kong, that would be one of the best options for buying the Submariner.

NG_Kaptain
17th Mar 2013, 11:55
I pinch the hotel's pens as I have the nasty habit of losing pens.

Dont worry
18th Mar 2013, 10:19
Hi guys.
Check here. Best prices on the net I could find.
Rolex Luxusuhren kaufen - uhrinstinkt.de (http://www.uhrinstinkt.de/uhren/rolex/)

Flybartfcp
25th Mar 2013, 18:14
I would suggest Swiss duty free, either GVA or zrh. They give you a 10% discount, plus the tax refund. I bought an IWC for 2800€, which was selling in my country for 5000€...

ManaAdaSystem
11th Apr 2013, 06:52
29160 DHS is the price at DDF. Not sure if the price is negotiable, I didn't have time to ask.
Not a bad price, but I think I can do better elsewhere.

Thanks for all your inputs.

40&80
11th Apr 2013, 18:08
Zurich duty free...... Sold me a genuine GMT Rolex for £75 quid in 1971.
Still looks good and works fine........better than its owner!

fantom
11th Apr 2013, 18:31
Submariner?

Have you tried Faslane?