PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Tug for EC-130

Nomad110
13th Mar 2013, 03:32
Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying a Tiger Tug for an EC-130. It seems like a really nice lift made by a good company. Does anyone have any experience with this set up? The manufacturer told me they have configured one for an EC-120 and that an EC-130 would be no problem. I was curious how the arms would work with the rear fairing. Some first hand experience of any kind with this lift would be nice to hear before dropping nearly $20 grand for it. A friend of mine saw it in action at HeliExpo '13 and was really impressed with it's build quality and motion control.

Thanks.

chucksweet
14th Mar 2013, 03:14
I'd buy a Chopper Spotter....Works better, and less money. I have several and i love them. I move an EC 130 easily by myself.

Chopper Spotter - Home (http://www.chopperspotter.com)

Nomad110
14th Mar 2013, 03:19
Have you ever used or seen a Tiger Tug to compare?

chucksweet
14th Mar 2013, 03:27
I have not used one, but I looked at it closely at HAI. It looks much more difficult to me to guide it between the landing gear. It is also significantly bigger than the Chopper Spotter, meaning it takes more room to put away or maneuver.

I am telling you, the Chopper Spotter is great. Dead reliable, frankly because is pretty heavy duty and built old school. I own 4 of them, and with different arms I have moved 120s, 130s, aStars, Enstrom 480s and a Bell 206. They are very simple to use. They attach in the same holes where your wheels normally attach.

Nomad110
14th Mar 2013, 03:46
I actually did speak with Chopper Spotter before and the price is less but a friend swears by the Tiger Tug. They recommended the Model 4 for the EC-130. I assume that has the gripper style mounts that grab the skids? How does this work exactly? Does it scratch the paint on the skids?

Also it's important that I can creep an inch at a time. One of my locations is a bit tight. Does it have good low speed control?

Thanks for your input.

chucksweet
14th Mar 2013, 04:19
It has brackets that slip over the skids and attach at the studs, just like the original wheels. It is very slick. I put some 3M Clear tape on the skids to protect it from any scratches. Honestly, the wheels do more damage than the Chopper Spotter.

It is very easy to control as slow as you want. On the control unit there is a Knob on a potentiometer that allows you to go any speed you wish. I go very slow out of my hangar, but once my blades clear the door I turn up the speed for the rest of the path.

I do not sell Chopper Spotters, I just can't rave enough about them, because they work so well. You know how heavy the 130 is. It is a piece of cake moving it by myself.
Chuck

theaceofblades
14th Mar 2013, 08:50
I use a chopper spotter model 4 to move a 130. Can't fault it.

Nomad110
14th Mar 2013, 13:26
So since the Model 4 has two sets of arms, what do the forward set attach to. Does the forward set use clamps and the rear set use the ground handling lugs?

Does it pick up the entire EC-130 or are you teetering it and steering with the tail?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm trying to take a good hard look at both units.

chucksweet
14th Mar 2013, 13:32
I don't use the Model 4 . I have a couple of the E Models and a couple of the MS Model. Yes, you balance them from the back. It is VERY easy because where you attach the unit is completely centered and balanced. Again, way easier than the wheels.

Maxix
17th Mar 2013, 20:34
Hi,

I have the Tiger Tug for my AS350. Not exactly what you are looking for. But i do know the guy with the EC120 and tiger tug. Acctualy i saw his and bought one for myself.

I love it! The guy i bought the 350 from had a spotter to sell me but i passed. Im sure they are good and not to expensive. I just like that it 100% no manual work and donīt scratches the skid.

/M

chucksweet
18th Mar 2013, 02:05
I went and watched all of the Tiger Tug videos and they don't really show them lining up the tug underneath the helicopter (they do a little bit on the Bell). It seems like that would be a little hard to get it perfectly square to the helicopter. Is it?

I do like that the tug is completely handsfree, but I will say again, the Chopper Spotter works really well. It is so balanced there is no problem at all easily maneuvering it around. I like that it uses exactly the same connection as the factory wheels. It looks like the Chopper Spotter is more nimble and easier to move around in a tight hangar, too. ..and it is smaller, too. On the other hand, if I was going to move the helicopter a really long distance the Tiger Tug would be my choice instead of balancing the helicopter on the Chopper Spotter.

I do like on the Tiger Tug that you can walk all around and check for blade clearances, etc. After watching the videos I am convinced I can get the Chopper Spotter on and off the helicopter faster..There are two less things to line up, and you don't have to go so far under the ship to pick it up....

I also like that the Chopper Spotter is built really "old school". It is heavy duty using pretty standard, industrial supply parts. i.e. no modern electronics that will eventually fail. I have bought several used ones from the 90s. I put 2 new car batteries in them, lubed them up and they were good to go.

I am sure both products work great....and both are far more safe than platform dollies, etc. Chuck

Nomad110
18th Mar 2013, 04:04
Alright well thanks for the input. I went ahead and put a deposit down for the Tiger Tug. For the kind of movements I need to make I think it's the best fit. I'll post my impressions in June when I get it.