PDA

View Full Version : TTTE

just another jocky
12th Mar 2013, 10:21
Just been rooting through the attic and found these 2 photos.

Those were the days; completely clean jets (sports car!!!), German beer and Italian food. :cool:

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q771/justanotherjocky/P1000381_zpsd41f9f53.jpg

http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q771/justanotherjocky/P1000380_zps92b3a97a.jpg

Courtney Mil
12th Mar 2013, 10:50
A few familiar faces there, JAJ. Good pics. :ok:

cuefaye
12th Mar 2013, 11:01
Your eyes are better than mine!

just another jocky
12th Mar 2013, 11:04
Apologies to those who don't know what TTTE stands for;

Tri-National Tornado Training Establishment

Based at RAF Cottesmore in Rutland, all pilots & navigators from Germany (Luftwaffe & Luftlotte), Italy & the UK learned to fly the Tornado here until its closure in 1999. Other overseas pilots came through TTTE as well, principally Saudi Arabia, but exchange pilots too. Aircraft from all 3 nations were used so you could easily end up with an Italian student pilot, a German Air Force Navigator instructor flying an RAF aircraft. Proper integration!

A great tour as an instructor. :ok:

cuefaye
12th Mar 2013, 11:19
I had a German pilot-instructor and an Italian navigator-instructor: we all had the same surname. :)

scarecrow450
12th Mar 2013, 11:48
Best 3 yrs of my life at that place. The pics were taken after I had left, some say because the photo section didn't have a wide angle lens to get me in !

PercysPeople
12th Mar 2013, 12:01
German beer

...delivered in large quantities by regular Transall which brought the odd bit of uniform or mail as well to keep it all legit:ok:. I have some pics as well, from holding at Cottesmore near the end of TTTE, which I will scan and upload when there's a quiet moment.

Rhino power
12th Mar 2013, 13:13
I thought TTTE stood for Thomas The Tank Engine! :}

I'll get my coat...

-RP

Al R
12th Mar 2013, 15:16
Good shots. :ok:

There are still lots of houses in the local villages which had double glazing put in at public expense when TTTE started.

OutlawPete
12th Mar 2013, 15:29
First and only time I ever saw a GR1 land with wings swept was at TTTE. It sure was impressive!

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Al R
12th Mar 2013, 15:35
Like cars, there is something to be said about the purity of the line. Those early GR1s are like early example Lotus Elans, with steelies and a raspy little engine that may not have counted for much in light of what it eventually became. But it puts a smile on your face and it sure looks sweet.

just another jocky
12th Mar 2013, 16:06
And sure was quick. :E Supercruise anyone. :ok:

light_my_spey
12th Mar 2013, 17:47
You can spot a Tornado flight line a mile off....always engine and hyd oil pi$$ing out of them.:E

Fg Off Bloggs
12th Mar 2013, 17:58
I can understand cuefaye being an Italian surname but it doesn't sound anything like any of the Germanic ones I am accustomed to!

However, I'm with you cuefaye

Your eyes are better than mine!

and I've just got new glasses!

My GIF was the spitting image of Pavarotti! How he ever got into a 104 cockpit I'll never know but his Pasta GTX after night flying was magnificent!

Bloggs:ok:

Ivor Fynn
12th Mar 2013, 19:15
Happy memories!! Self and a few blasts from the past on there.

RIP Greg and Wez not forgotten.

Ivor

scarecrow450
12th Mar 2013, 19:24
My GIF was the spitting image of Pavarotti! How he ever got into a 104 cockpit I'll never know but his Pasta GTX after night flying was magnificent!

He was a great bloke, think he's a civvie flyer now in Italy, Mag Regin, er Reggine er Reginni, well you know who !

In the tower we had to write the pilots and navs name on a movements board, there were many R + 11, G + 13 and S+17, it was easier for us air traffikers !!

Fg Off Bloggs
12th Mar 2013, 21:11
That's the guy. I'm still in contact.

Bloggs:ok:

cuefaye
12th Mar 2013, 21:54
I can understand cuefaye being an Italian surname

Stupid boy:)

BEagle
12th Mar 2013, 22:06
...delivered in large quantities by regular Transall which brought the odd bit of uniform or mail as well to keep it all legit...

The Revenue obviously got wind of the number of items arriving at TTTE in such a manner. So now and again, a German F-4 would arrive at Wattisham on Friday and the crew would dutifully declare their bottle and 200 to the customs folk....who would wish them well and promptly poke off.

The Luftwaffe mates would then stand around looking innocent....until some German MT wagon bowled up from Cottesmore. Whereupon the F-4's 4000lb centre drop tank would reveal its true function in life as a side panel was removed and all manner of 'imports' would be transferred to the MT wagon. I'm told that a complete Mercedes-Benz exhaust system arrived once....

This freight service worked fine until the unfortunate groundcrew managed to ding the stabilator one Friday afternoon when putting the jet away in a hangar. Despite offers to fix it, regrettably officialdom in Germany had no option but to put an end to this clever little venture.

Ascend Charlie
13th Mar 2013, 02:19
Maybe Cuefaye needs to sign off in brackets (QFI).

cuefaye
13th Mar 2013, 10:38
Crikey - that's clever!

Madbob
13th Mar 2013, 10:53
Seeing this post about TTTE and RAF Cottesmore made me think that with Cottesmore's hand over to the army made me think that its closure was pre-mature. Is there not sense in having a multi-national F-35 training base for the European nations that are (supposedly) buying into that procurement?

The UK airspace is still a lot more open to low flying jets than the rest of Europe. The location of Cottesmore was very popular and access to LFA's, ranges etc. pretty good and what with the Harrier legacy there were also pads for Dave B to do VL's. There would also have been a pretty good RLG if one were needed at Wittering. Oh Dear, what a missed opportunity!

Still, its not as though we are short of other recently closed airfields so there may be a reprieve elsewhere. Where do I begin? Coltishall, Leuchars, Kinloss, St. Mawgan.........

Seeing this thread reminded me that we once (not so long ago) actually had an air force, what we have today is a shadow of its former self.:ugh::ugh:

MB

Clockwork Mouse
13th Mar 2013, 11:37
Don't tell him Pike!

romeo bravo
13th Mar 2013, 19:48
I remember seeing a Tornado landing at Cottesmore, wings swept, as well; pilot made a lovely mess of the runway. He belly-landed it a treat :E

F.O.D
13th Mar 2013, 21:23
I was a duty grown-up on the day mentioned in the last post and I recall hearing the aircraft crash alarm. When I got to the jet, it turned out the wheels had been retracted by the pilot as he rounded out. I believe the pilot had moved his hand to cancel the rad alt warning which had sounded as he crossed the fence on finals. As his hand started to move, it decided on its own, to retract the gear (the trick cyclist employed by the accident inquiry board concluded it was a cognitive failure). There was an ITN news crew filming at the time and you saw the wheels come up and the jet land smoothly on its belly. It was rather strange afterwards peering into the cockpit without the need for a ladder! However, to clarify the previous post, it was a normal approach until the wheels came up. The jet was eventually repaired.

Anyway it was a fantastic instructional tour in a superb part of the country - happy days!

PercysPeople
14th Mar 2013, 09:27
pads for Dave B to do VL's

Which model are we buying this week?:ugh:

PFR
14th Mar 2013, 12:41
Use to enjoy watching you guys scooting down "the gap" East of Barnard Castle.... Happy Days :ok: