PDA

View Full Version : Seeking pilot to share sub-Saharan adventure!

sophia_webster
11th Mar 2013, 22:28
I am a British doctor and PPL with night rating, currently doing IMC, looking for an experienced pilot to fly with me from Cape Town back to the UK through sub-Saharan Africa starting August 2013 over 16 weeks, all expenses paid. The aim of the flight is to raise awareness about women's health and I am planning to make some medical visits en route to teach.

On a similar note, I would welcome any advice regarding aircraft type for this kind of trip, with particular reference to fuel availability and type.

With many thanks!

500 above
12th Mar 2013, 09:30
Hi Sophia

You would be wise to speak to Sam Rutherford. He does this type of trip often.

| p r e p a r e 2 go | come here before you go there (http://Www.prepare2go.com)

sophia_webster
16th Mar 2013, 12:02
Already in touch, thank you!
Sophia

Pace
17th Mar 2013, 19:53
16 weeks would be a problem :{ just replied as would be happy to help at cost but would need to fly back in between longer stints that you are there. The good cause bit appeals ;)

Pace

stickandrudderman
17th Mar 2013, 20:54
I hate it when I am unable answer the call of an adventure!:sad:

jkveenstra
17th Mar 2013, 20:56
Great Idea.

Why not find several pilots. 16 weeks can be hurdle for many, but if you devide it in four parts, with four different pilots, the chances a much higher to find (professional) pilots.

I would love to go, but I don't fit the profile of an experienced pilot (I only have 150hrs).

High-Flyer2
17th Mar 2013, 21:23
Check your Pm's:cool:

HF2

Another_CFI
17th Mar 2013, 22:49
PM me to discuss.

justinmcarter
17th Mar 2013, 22:51
Sophia - check yr PMs

+1

J

Pace
18th Mar 2013, 12:02
Why not find several pilots. 16 weeks can be hurdle for many, but if you devide it in four parts, with four different pilots, the chances a much higher to find (professional) pilots.

That idea might work as I am sure there are many more experienced PPLs who would pay their air tickets to get the experience of flying in Africa and contribute to this cause?
With 16 weeks I presume you will have a lot of down time? Are you thinking of using the aircraft to reach remote areas in that down time? IE that will have an impact on the aircraft you choose if you need to access rough strips?
Consider Diesel power! Consider approaching a manufacturer who might help with a good deal for the trip with certain benefits it may bring them.

Pace

sophia_webster
15th Apr 2013, 18:56
Dear all,

So many apologies for the delay in replying to this thread - I am new to PPRuNE and not quite up to speed with how it works! Now rectifying that (sitting in Thika, Kenya, in a thunderstorm with no electricity, here for medical work but also some preliminary flying!). The flying has been really amazing - the highlights being the view of Kilimanjaro from above the clouds, and several large herds of elephants from 500ft above Amboseli National Park!

I agree with those who think an August departure is pushing it a bit, but behind the scenes I have been planning the medical aspect for almost a year! So I am quietly confident I will succeed.

The idea of 3-4 different pilots along the route is a good one and I had been thinking along the same lines myself.

Let me PM everyone!

Thanks for all of the support!

@ Pace - planning to fly between locations and spend 2-3 days at each doing some medical work. Probably the aircraft will be pretty stationary during that time, and in fact I'm beginning to think that the initial appeal of a lots of bush flying/rough strips may not be the right approach given the medical aims and length of trip!

Do you have any suggestions re: goodwill manufacturers?

Sophia

kerwoodwim
24th Apr 2013, 22:31
If it's not too late, I am interested in your venture, Sophie. I learned to fly in Kenya and spent 6 years working there in the seventies, so would prefer a leg which included East Africa - Sudan - Ethiopia. Happy to pay my air fare to the start point.

Katamarino
1st Aug 2013, 20:30
The flight is taking place, and officially kicked off today with an event near Cranfield airport. Cranfield kindly waived the landing and parking fees for our aircraft, and after final preparations at the offices of the sponsor ClearBlue we are departing Saturday to northern Spain, and Sunday to our first African stop in Morocco.

Details at katamarino.co.uk - Adventure Flying Resources (http://www.katamarino.co.uk/africa2013.php)