PDA

View Full Version : USAF Thunderbirds 2013 season scrubbed

N.HEALD
9th Mar 2013, 21:56
Seems the US economy and sequestration is hitting hard, one wonders if the Blue Angels will scrub 2013 as well :*

Sequestration measures cancel Thunderbirds (http://afthunderbirds.com/site/2013/03/01/sequestration-measures-cancel-thunderbirds-appearances-past-april-1/)

clicker
9th Mar 2013, 23:21
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/501594-sequestration-2.html

Post near the end is a USN signal which states a loads of measures including cutting the Blue Angels for 4 shows in April 2013.

Presume that will be the tip of the iceberg until sequestration ends.

Tiger_mate
10th Mar 2013, 10:18
It wasnt the Blue Angels partcipation in 4 shows that was cancelled, it was 4 actual shows and significant shows at that.

The Blue Angels had been earmarked to have the second half of the display season cancelled outright. Now that the button has been pressed, their survivability must also be in doubt.

Now is the time for the verbal stand-off between US services wrt sequestration effect to be converted to reality. I understand that aircrew recruitment in the US has also been suspended in toto.

The only difference between the US and mainland europe, is that the US economy has a global effect and is therefore in the limelight. So much for bombs and bullets, we are imploding economically.

Tourist
11th Mar 2013, 19:56
Tiger

Self deprecation is all very well, but I think you need to to take a look at the size of the mainland European economy relative to the US if you think we don't have a global effect....

Sun Who
11th Mar 2013, 20:30
According to Wiki:

US economy: $15.8 trillion in 2012
EU economy: $16.5 trillion in 2012

What's a trillion between friends. But economic impact isn't just about the size of the spend, it's also about where it's spent.

Sun.

Thelma Viaduct
11th Mar 2013, 20:42
By the time I've died, the 'govern'ment has had at least 50% of what I earn and all for doing next to **** all. They get money for doing virtually nothing to earn it, it's taken.

How do they manage to piss it all away, but more importantly, why do we allow it to happen???

In some regards I can see being ruled by non elected europeans as a good thing, when things go tits, at least it's not your own countrymen shafting you but some frog in his beret or german in his leather jack boots.

The trillions that are owed must still be in circulation, find out who has it and tell them we want it back or else we'll put Trident to some actual beneficial use.

pr00ne
11th Mar 2013, 23:28
Pious Pilot,

Well, maintaining the worlds 4th largest defence budget for ever has most probably resulted in an awful lot of it, for what end result no one seems really quite sure.

Not quite sure how you work out that the Government does next to c0ck all with your cash, who do you think funds Local Government, health, education, transport and things like the Police and the other security services? The Government does with our money, if you can't collect it through taxes where the hell do you think it 's going to come from?

You may think that you are ruled by 'unelected Europeans' but every MEP is democratically elected and I am not aware of a single country anywhere on the planet that elects its Civil Servants, why should the EU be any different?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th Mar 2013, 00:01
every MEP is democratically elected

There is no means not to elect an MEP.

The UK has never had a referendum on Euro membership or conditions (The current EU bears little resemblance to the EEC).

The major political parties consistently refuse to have one because they know the vote will be NO. This is not democracy.

There is no "Re-Open Nominations" on the ballot.

Of the original members, we consistently have the lowest turnout of voters by miles.

More than 50% of the numbers who vote at a general election do not bother to turn out for the Euro elections.

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

airsound
12th Mar 2013, 10:08
At the risk of returning to the thread topic, there's a fairly detailed piece in Stars & Stripes that gives some stuff on the latest sad situation with air shows stateside.

Budget cuts force military jets to drop air shows - Sequestration - Stripes (http://www.stripes.com/news/sequestration/budget-cuts-force-military-jets-to-drop-air-shows-1.211211#.UT7pa3npq-o.email)

airsound

son of brommers
12th Mar 2013, 10:46
Whilst the overheads for the US teams are undoubtably much higher than those of the Reds, could the US situation translate across the pond and impact on the Reds this season?

Dysonsphere
12th Mar 2013, 12:16
Quote:
every MEP is democratically elected
There is no means not to elect an MEP.

The UK has never had a referendum on Euro membership or conditions (The current EU bears little resemblance to the EEC).

The major political parties consistently refuse to have one because they know the vote will be NO. This is not democracy.

There is no "Re-Open Nominations" on the ballot.

Of the original members, we consistently have the lowest turnout of voters by miles.

More than 50% of the numbers who vote at a general election do not bother to turn out for the Euro elections.

The main problem with Euro MP's is the fact that they come from a central party short list, in other words "jobs for the boys (girls too)" which is one of the reasons for the poor turnout.

Biggus
12th Mar 2013, 12:35
Make that "jobs for life for the boys (girls too)", irrespective of how well/badly they perform in the role!! :ugh:

Thelma Viaduct
12th Mar 2013, 19:29
Why do we expect the people that take then waste our money, to be the ones to fix the deficit.

It's like expecting Jimmy Saville to be the entertainment at a kiddies party and nothing to have 'gone off'.

They're useless to the point where they may as well not bother.

I didn't say the government do cock all with the money, I said they get it given as a given despite their continual spunkingitupthewallability year after year.

Would sooner have some Belgian bloke ripping me off than some Eton **** in a striped suit that's never done an honest day of work.:mad: