PDA

View Full Version : So, Why did you join PPRuNe?

SRENNAPS
9th Mar 2013, 07:11
I have been a member of PPRuNe for a long time now and I have seen many people come and many people go. I have upset a few people with some of my comments but I have also made a few friends and caught up with old friends who I had lost touch with.

Although I don’t post as much as I used to, I still enjoy reading many of the threads right across PPRuNe and hopefully I will remain a member for many years to come.

The reason I joined PPRuNe was because I overheard a conversation between OC Ops and OC Eng at my favourite Airbase in good old RAFG. A certain Sqn that hung out in the South West corner were going through a bit of a bad time and there was a lot of “discussion” occurring on a Forum called PPRuNe. In the role of Eng Ops Controller I was very intrigued to find out what was being stated in this anonymous arena that I could access through my telephone line. So that was it, I joined on the 12 Nov 2000 and I have thoroughly enjoyed it ever since…….all of it, not just Military Aircrew.

Over the years I have noticed an influx of new members whenever a significant incident occurred, such as the introduction of JPA, various political reasons, or sadly the crash of an aircraft resulting in the tragic loss of aircrew:(

So the question I pose to you is why did you join PPRuNe? What actually prompted you to sign the dotted WWW line to become a member?

Also, how long do you think you will stay (No need to answer this BEagle :ok: ). Is it a passing fad that you will soon get bored with or will you stay with it for a long time? Would you remain a member when you have left the mob (if indeed you are in) or would you leave because you feel that you should no longer be a part of it.

I assure there is nothing devious in my questions, just genuinely interested and it may generate some provocative discussion before all the Rugby starts today….and maybe some more after a few beers:)

Evanelpus
9th Mar 2013, 07:21
The judge told me it was either this or a custodial sentence!

diginagain
9th Mar 2013, 07:34
The site which hosted this (http://www.arrse.co.uk/)was down.

Albert Driver
9th Mar 2013, 08:05
Simple mistake.

Thought it said Professional Pilots

newt
9th Mar 2013, 08:17
Can't for the life of me remember!:E:E

dmussen
9th Mar 2013, 08:21
A bit of fun telling well embellished tales and hoping to get in touch with old friends.
I have fun with the former and have only found one comrade so far.
Yes, there is a lot of bull from time to time but importantly some real stuff.
I shall stick with it since I enjoy both the bull & the real stuff.

Per Ardua Ad Everything,

D

SOSL
9th Mar 2013, 09:22
Banter.

Rgds SOS

4fitter
9th Mar 2013, 09:27
I learn something new everyday and having had command of a rather large wing and 2 staish tours - invaluable feeling for what might be happening on the ground.

CoffmanStarter
9th Mar 2013, 09:27
Gentle leg pulling, banter and informed debate ... Well two out of three ain't bad :ok:

SOSL
9th Mar 2013, 09:31
I only got 1 out of 3. Oh well what the heck....

Rgds SOS

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Mar 2013, 09:36
Accurate info and informed speculation of aviation incidents - The Icelandic volcanic ash cloud was the first, and it helped me get out of the UK on the first day that the transatlantic routes reopened.

I've stayed for the above, the reams of informed advice on everything from computers to restaurants, and the banter!

CoffmanStarter
9th Mar 2013, 09:40
Dmussen ... Bull := Heifer's Dust yes :ok:

Capetonian
9th Mar 2013, 09:43
When I left full time employment, a mate of mine who's a pilot for BA said : "You will have loads of spare time and so you don't get bored and throw yourself out of a window, you might enjoy this site."

The rest is history, although in fact I am busier with a multitude of things, than ever before, but I come to Pprune for inspiration in moments when I have boring work to do and need a distraction, or when the weather is so foul I don't want to go outside, like now, or those times when I wake up at 0300 and know I won't get back to sleep.

I should also add that I've met some superb people, in four different countries, through Pprune, and that's been a big plus too. My o/h asked me once how I knew 'x', and he said : "Oh we met through the internet .." we got some very odd looks!

Basil
9th Mar 2013, 09:56
Beginning of 1997 and can't remember.
Instant payback was headsup that prospective employer was asking interview Qs about light signals which I hadn't studied since APO on Chipmunks. They did - I knew - I got the job :ok:

Yeah, it wasn't just the light signals which impressed them - I'm pretty good looking and smarmy as well ;)

Courtney Mil
9th Mar 2013, 10:28
Sometime way back in the 90s, can't quite remember when, and under some obscure nom de clé, I was drawn by similar issues that you were, SRENNAPS. Then I found a few (very few, if I'm honest) subjects that I actually knew something about and was able to contribute so stayed a while.

Later, I sort of drifted away - for no real reason that I can remember. Something then caught my eye here when a friend emailed me a link, so I signed up again and decided I didn't need the anonymity any more so came up with Courtney Mil.

And the rest, as they say is history. I've been here annoying you all ever since.

:cool:

Delta_Foxtrot
9th Mar 2013, 10:36
CM, I wouldn't describe you as annoying! Entertaining, yes.

Brian 48nav
9th Mar 2013, 10:36
I don't remember you as good looking on our South Cerney course ( your graduation one! 218;) ) - if you were you'd have been selected for nav' training ;);)

I joined cos' I happened to browse the site one day and someone was looking for a guy who happened to be my then next door neighbour.

I have made contact with mates from decades ago; like Friendly Pelican, Basil, etc etc and even exchanged banter with my acquaintance BOAC.

Courtney Mil
9th Mar 2013, 10:43
DF, I guess I need to try harder! :ok:

Yes, or course, PPRuNe has put me in touch with lots of good people I'd lost touch with and a several new friends. :)

tucumseh
9th Mar 2013, 10:57
I joined because I was informed by a senior RN officer that the thoughts expressed here often informed MoD policy. Hitherto, I'd never heard of pprune. The agenda of a meeting he'd convened started with the premise that a post on pprune was correct and why on earth did his IPT staffs not know of it. They'd formed a team to work out the solution to a problem, when the answer was being discussed on the internet, the necessary contract had been completed successfully 7 years before and the output was already in service!

Subsequent events have demonstrated this is all still current practice.

cuefaye
9th Mar 2013, 11:20
I joined many years ago, under a different guise, quite simply because it offered yet another way of tweaking newt :p

Also because it was a forum that had a wealth of informed views and opinion on mil-aviation and historical (or should that be hysterical) matters. Still does, but I find more selectivity is needed these days.

newt
9th Mar 2013, 12:04
Not been tweaked in years cuefaye:=

clicker
9th Mar 2013, 12:18
Found the site through an internet search when looking for some info.

Then located the caption competition thread and laughed so much I had to stay.

Works the other way as well. I found Courtney Mil's website via here and enjoyed reading his story.

BEagle
9th Mar 2013, 13:47
On the Military Aircrew Forum:

1. As an e-crewroom, since traditional crewrooms had largely disappeared.
2. From a deep loathing of the mis-used Management in Confidence caveat, used by middle-ranking $hits as a pas devant tool to prevent people knowing the truth.
3. As a way of ensuring that certain snippets reached certain ears.
4. As a way of contributing to the ZD576 Mull of Kintyre campaign

And because it pi$$ed off d ickheads such as 'Daisy'!

NutLoose
9th Mar 2013, 13:53
Someone had to give Buster a good kicking in the Caption Comp :p
Seriously, an old colleague suggested it as he frequents here.

Tinribs
9th Mar 2013, 16:33
I joined some years ago on a friends reco,n. Of late the tendancy of people who should know better to be grossly agressive to those with whom they disagree seems to have grown more frequent, there ought to be a banning systen for varying lengths of time according to the offence, a bit like driving bans

I am sad that some external watchers can vet stories, I think they are mistaken because others will go unpublished preventing challenge and other venues will publish them uncorrected

Lies are best defeated by the truth not by suppression

Over the years I have learnt some stuff, mostly trivial but sometimes important. Oftimes my memory has been faulty or I have just been wrong for a long time. For example it was only this year that I learnt a good friend of mine got any Argy down south before he dissapeared

Mostly I am greatfull for the times someone has gone to the trouble of correcting my mistakes about dates or facts or people.

Those seeing an error have a choice, say nothing and feel superior of correct the error and do the author a big favour for nothing. All those who have gone the extra mile for me;;;; THANK YOU

orca
9th Mar 2013, 17:09
Having spectated for a while I was driven into the fray to correct a sentence or two that had been published about a previous aircraft type - written with a degree of authority by someone who probably couldn't identify it at 50 paces.

I usually spend at least thirty minutes writing, re-writing and then deleting my posts without publishing them. Sometimes for security grounds, sometimes to avoid completely outing myself - but also because there's simply no helping some people and by the time you get to page three of most threads the battle lines are drawn between percy pongo, crab fat and fish head and all sensible input has ceased.

cavortingcheetah
9th Mar 2013, 17:31
In order to gain sufficient experience of humankind so as to be able to apply to join this company as a clinical psychologist.
HUMAN AND PITT FUNERAL SERVICES (PTY) LTD (Fraserburg, South Africa) (http://www.onlinebusinesslist.co.za/company/167428/human-and-pitt-funeral-services-pty-ltd)

Rosevidney1
9th Mar 2013, 19:10
To be back among kindred spirits and their banter. Finding old comrades. Feeling younger again (self delusion is wonderful) :)

Danny42C
9th Mar 2013, 19:14
When taking first timorous steps into cyberjungle as silver surfer, tried "Prune" (Grandad's name for "Bloggs"), landed here, no need to go any further. BEagle (#23) puts it well with his No.1, would say "Amen" to that.

D.

smujsmith
9th Mar 2013, 20:09
I'm fairly new to this site, but, have been following it for years. I have followed such threads as "Gaining an RAF Brevet", "Did you fly the Vulcan" and many others beside, particularly any insight into flying the Lightning! There can not, and never will be, a substitute for the information given to us on this forum, whatever anyone might think, the memories and reminiscences given to us are a recollection/ rendition of how someone who was involved, at the time, saw it. Having been involved in minor skirmishes ( GW1, Bosnia etc), and compared to many contributors, I feel that a lot of the input is worth the reading. Even if you can't agree at least you can post an alternative argument, just like democracy ?

finestkind
10th Mar 2013, 00:47
Very much to see what was happening behind the totally incorrect media reports and what others thought. Not surprisingly most are same minded and annoyed by the same inept, political, military poor leaders. Much like a few at the pub whereby we solve the problems of the world and occasionally where one has one too many and gets a bit loud and obnoxious.

And wot he said ......BEagle

Rhino power
10th Mar 2013, 01:10
I joined because PPRuNe let me, and I'm so glad they did, even though I only fit one of the categories listed! :ok:

When all is said and done though, these forums have been, and continue to be, an invaluable source of information and humour...

-RP

phil9560
10th Mar 2013, 04:03
I've really no right to be here.But I love reading most of your posts and occasionally commenting.
Especially the Lightning ones.

TheNightOwl
10th Mar 2013, 04:23
During the '89 saga in Dunnunda, I lost patience one evening with the points of view being espoused, and it took off from there for me.

The icing on the cake was when Amos2(?) objected to something I wrote, whereupon I was promptly labelled a "S***" and was elevated to immortality on the "S*** list". My greatest pleasure for a long time was winding him up, and I often wonder if he really did/does hate me to the extent he claimed. Poor man!!:p

Then I found a great deal of interest in the posts of people like EWL, et al, and decided that Amos really was an unnecessary irritation in my life, so I left him (and others of his ilk) alone. Fortunately, the upset died a natural death as, unfortunately, did the best airline this nation has ever seen.

Best to all.

TNO.

alisoncc
10th Mar 2013, 07:10
Can't remember why I joined, but do know for a fact why I've stayed - I like aeroplanes and I seem to fit in here.

Some people like cars, others boats or railway steam engines, I just like aeroplanes. Think I caught the disease in September 1958 at RAF Syerston. The stunned silence after the Vulcan broke up suggests to me that those who were there also liked aeroplanes. Probably caught it then. 12 months later finds me at Cardington being assessed, and within less than 12 months wearing a blue uniform at Locking. It's the formative years that define the person, and who and what they later become.

My last flight as PIC would have been in the early '70's, hauling a small group of tourists into Maun, Botswana from Rand Airport. By then my blood stream had become totally infused with Avgas, and it's never really gone away. Only got to play with the big ones as an avionics eng, but liked that to. So yup. I is an aeroplane person and I belong here. Hopefully they will let me stay.

PS. Drove passed the local GA airfield (Moorabbin) on Thursday. Pulled into layby to watch and was still there an hour later. Sad I know.

Audax
10th Mar 2013, 08:35
Why did I join?

"To prick the bloated bladder of lies with the poignard of truth"!

With apologies to Aneurin Bevan

sisemen
10th Mar 2013, 09:18
Initially joined many, many years ago to contribute to an engineering thread; then drifted away; then rejoined.

Having a deep interest in politics I got into the Oz politics thread (and got banned from there more times than I care to think about :{). The site also lets me keep a weather eye on what's happening to the RAF now that it's having to survive without me :E

ian16th
10th Mar 2013, 09:59
I Googled XD869 and found this thread: http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/358970-valiant-xd869-crash-marham-1959-a.html

I thought that I could contribute, so I joined PPRuNe.

I read other threads, enjoyed it, so I've stayed.

SRENNAPS
10th Mar 2013, 17:37
Thanks guys for all the replies, some really good reasons why we all joined this site :ok::ok:

It just goes to show how much so many of us love PPRuNe.

To all at PPRuNe, keep up the good work and thanks:D:D:D:D

CoffmanStarter
10th Mar 2013, 17:49
Great thread SRENNAPS ... Now let's see who will admit to how much time they spend on PPRuNe each day ... See my Green On Go thread :ok:

Courtney Mil
10th Mar 2013, 19:09
Oh. Another thread? I must have missed it because I'm hardly ever here.

CoffmanStarter
10th Mar 2013, 19:38
Don't worry Courtney I'm sure PPRuNe Hrs can be logged in your 414 :ok:

Finningley Boy
10th Mar 2013, 21:37
I joined because I enjoy reading the posts from those in the know. I especially like the nostalgic memories from various people who have served in various roles and have flown various aircraft. Good to chat online with all you folks as well!

FB

Halton Brat
10th Mar 2013, 21:50
I thought that I had signed up to a dating website.............:sad:

HB

Easy Street
10th Mar 2013, 23:15
There was quite a nasty anti-GR4 whispering campaign going on ahead of SDSR, and several newspaper articles at the time had either derived from or lifted quotes from PPRuNe threads. I didn't want to let the following nonsense go unanswered, lest it be accepted as 'fact' by some lazy bottom-feeding tabloid journo:

When GR-9 eventually leaves KAF(if GR-4 ever deploys) the RAF's ability to support British soldiers in contact on the ground will diminish FACT!!!!!How did that one work out then?

NutLoose
11th Mar 2013, 00:48
Halton Brat
I thought that I had signed up to a dating website.............

HB

One heard SASless is game..

Halton Brat
11th Mar 2013, 09:10
Never leave your friend's behind...........

HB

November4
11th Mar 2013, 09:15
Joined some 10 years ago after my Sqn Ldr said "you should see what is being said about Movers on this site". That was the infamous Movers v Loadies topic. Glad to see things have calmed down since those days.

Stayed as there have been many interesting topics. Admittedly many that I have no experience of hence why I don't contribute but still interesting to read the comments.

RedhillPhil
11th Mar 2013, 10:03
I joined because I have an interest (non spotter) in aviation and it's always good to have proper in-the-know people to ask rather than winged theorists.
The banter, humour and intelligent reasoning adds to the enjoyment and sometimes I can add to discussions as they occasionally drift on to railways which I do know about having retired from a forty one year operational existence.

alwayslookingup
11th Mar 2013, 12:22
In 2001 two F15s came to grief in the Cairngorms. The subsequent controversy over the role of the Controller was well reported in the press up here, as was the support said Controller received from a certain website called Pprune. I checked the website out, and became hooked.

Then, in 2007, there was the issue with Mole Valley Council and a planning application at Grays Lane. At the time I felt I had some background knowledge and experience to usefully add to the debate so I joined and began posting, and have done so occasionally ever since.

Being of a rebellious nature I also subscribe to Private Eye magazine. It is now routinely referred to in Parliament, as it seems to know what is going on and has some good answers before Parliament does. Do we ever envisage a time where the informed opinion and collective knowledge of Pprune will fulfill the same role with regard to matters of mil aviation (particularly, say, procurement).

Other than that, prune's mostly a cracking good read.

Rgds to one and all.

Lonewolf_50
11th Mar 2013, 14:31
Was pointed to PPRuNe by a friend regarding some rotary wing issues. Got very interested in some discussion that included Nick Lappos.

As I am retired (20+ years) navy pilot, figured I'd check the Miltary Aircrew sub forum. As I'd rather talk to pilots than most other sorts of people, about pretty much anything, it is very easy to drop by PPRuNe for a chat.

I got addicted to PPRuNe regarding the Air France 447 crash. Immense number of people taught me many, many things.

This is a good place.

teeteringhead
11th Mar 2013, 15:28
Initially recommended by a mate who had left to fly "bucket and spade" trips; he used it to keep in touch.

1. He also told me there was "a lot of rubbish talked about [various things we knew about]" and why didn't I set them straight.

subsequently kept in because of:

2. An interest in aviation history - at my age I seem to have been part of some! AH&N can be amazingly erudite.

3. The banter; the "e-crewroon" in BEags' apposite phrase.

4. a dating website.............
.. the erstwhile and unlamented Agony Aunt forum was occasionally interesting!:E

5. And for lovers of the obscure and those who appreciate the "terminally confused", there's always JB.

54Phan
12th Mar 2013, 12:51
I joined Pprune because I have been interested in military aviation for many years, especially the RAF. This site is a good source of knowledge, humour and nostalgia. I learn something new nearly every day here, as people willingly share their first hand knowledge and experiences, and I have bookmarked it.

All in all, it is a most enjoyable site. And it's free!

:ok:

11Fan
12th Mar 2013, 15:39
Was having trouble with intermittent bowel movements and looking for natural remedies on Google.

VIProds
12th Mar 2013, 17:52
I heard about PPRuNe through a friend & read a few threads & thought Hey ! These Guys are talking my language apart for the acronyms (45 years is a long time to be out of the loop). in the past few years I have:

1. Found out through PPRuNe that two of my friends have passed away. One, I flew with in Victor Tankers & I was the only ex RAF person that worked with him to attend his Funeral !!

2. It was through PPRuNe that I found out about the "V-Force Reunion", so have been able to attend.

3. I have been able to correspond privately with the person that was in charge of & flew the Operation Ju Jitsu missions.

A USN Aviator on PPRuNe, who read my thread on Ju Jitsu had to travel back to Maxwell AFB, which is now the SAC Archive & bless him, took time out of his buisy schedule to investigate the mission & discovered several documents from the 91st Strategic Reconnaissance Wing to General Curtis Le May outlining the training & cost for the RAF crews.

4. Through PPRuNe, I have been able to communicate privately with two SR71 pilots & an RAF pilot that flew missions in the U-2 Spyplane.

5. I asked on PPRuNe if anyone could fly a 90 year old Spitfire Reconniassance pilot from Lincolnshire down to RAF Benson, as they wanted to give him a VIP day & was INUNDATED WITH OFFERS !! A Serving Officer eventualy flew us from RAF Waddington to Benson & back.

Will I continue to read through all the headlines on the daily Military Aircrew update ? Youbetya I will !

Fg Off Bloggs
12th Mar 2013, 18:03
Maybe not, newt:

Not been tweaked in years cuefaye

but you have been on Bookface!

Me? Been in and out, different guises, some gone, some in abeyance.

Why: Curiosity!

When: Donkeys!

Main object (originally): Commenting on subjects of which I have some knowledge in order to expand the knowledge of others!

Main object (recently and irregularly): Tweaking tails of self-appointed know it alls! (Not you, newt)

Bloggs:E

newt
12th Mar 2013, 18:22
Sorry Bloggs, never even heard of Bookface!:eek:

Fg Off Bloggs
12th Mar 2013, 18:36
Yes you have! We're friends on it! I've seen your pictures of your garden!

Bloggs!

cuefaye
12th Mar 2013, 21:44
I agree about the self-appointed know-it-alls, Bloggs (sic)

thing
13th Mar 2013, 00:15
I joined to find a husband for my daughter.

cattletruck
13th Mar 2013, 05:32
After years of therapy and many thousands of dollars later the memory has been successfully repressed.

Tinribs
13th Mar 2013, 10:08
Whats your daughter like? I have a Son who needs to settle down

thing
13th Mar 2013, 10:58
She's Ok but then I'm probably biased. 30, divorced. one son, own house, reasonable job, bit untidy, likes cats.

Courtney Mil
13th Mar 2013, 11:22
She's Ok

Thing, mate. You need to edit that to come across a bit more enthusiastic before she reads it!! Really.

Mmmmnice
13th Mar 2013, 11:32
It was one of the few sites I could get on whilst whiling away the hours as DA in RAF Trogir - and isn't it fun trying to put faces to all those noms de plume?

mary meagher
13th Mar 2013, 11:32
Quite honestly, joined after Sully splashed down in the Hudson, and PPruNe was quoted in a (reputable) newspaper. (he was a gliding instructor when at the USAF academy in Colorado)

Got flamed a few times for being rude. But said very sorry, and they let me stay.

And like other posters here, aviation probably in my genes, as a great uncle flew off the Atlantic City Beach as an honored passenger in a Wright Flyer back in very early days....he was the Mayor at the time and his wife refused to speak to him for a week afterwards....

Its an ongoing conversation with people who share my passion. In a format that works for an Old F..t.

Looking at the sky today, what am I doing here when I could be up there?????????

thing
13th Mar 2013, 13:47
Thing, mate. You need to edit that to come across a bit more enthusiastic before she reads it!! Really.
Not to worry, we have the same sense of humour.

I am just a number
14th Mar 2013, 00:47
To lurk. Damn!

Basil
14th Mar 2013, 10:21
Brian!
I don't remember you as good looking on our South Cerney course ( your graduation one! 218 ) - if you were you'd have been selected for nav' training
Oohh b1tch! My mum said I was ;)
Yes, Aubrey didn't like my accent or occasional coarse social customs :}
As for nav training; who'd want to put up with bl00dy arrogant pilots all day? :E

OldnDaft
14th Mar 2013, 10:35
Just thought I might be missing something. Been in the RAF since 86, saw a mention of PPrune on e-goat so had a look. Not an aviator by trade but still interested in general aviation stuff and any decent gossip!