PDA

View Full Version : RAF Bolt Head, Hope Cove, Devon

Esperanza
8th Mar 2013, 21:23
Has anybody ever come across any WWII era photos of RAF Bolt Head? If so then I would be very interested to see them. So far I've only found one photo of a Spitfire on the airfield.

Thank you.

chevvron
8th Mar 2013, 21:26
Try the 'Action Stations' series of books.

aviate1138
9th Mar 2013, 06:58
1943 airfield photo

RAF BOLT HEAD (http://devonairfields.tripod.com/bolt.html)

Evanelpus
9th Mar 2013, 07:26
Aahhhh, Bolt Head. Spent many a happy holiday in Hope Cove and went to Bolt Head for a walk. Didn't realise it was RAF.

Esperanza
9th Mar 2013, 09:13
Thank you for the replies. I have one possible link to a series of photos. Should it prove successful then I'll share what I find.

BEagle
9th Mar 2013, 19:32
In Action Stations 5, there is a sketch map of RAF Bolt Head and 2 photos in the 3-4 pages of aerodrome history.

One photo is of a 276 Sqn Lysander, 'believed at Bolt Head' and the other shows a 276 Sqn Walrus off the South Coast.

Bolt Head was reduced to C&M status on 25 Apr 45 and finally closed in 1947.

POBJOY
9th Mar 2013, 22:42
A great stip to fly in to (fantastic location) and pleasant walk to Salcombe.**
Also the forward air strip that saw the loss of virtually an entire American Spitfire squadron with their MK 9 machines that was one of 3 squadrons covering a B17 raid on Morlaix.
A combination of cloud cover and a much higher tail wind 'outbound' saw the Squadron still over France and running out of fuel.
Details covered in B K (Willingness to die) and P (Laddie) Lucas 5 Lives.
The BK account quite clear as he was there,but did not lead the Wing due to being delayed at Biggin.
Highly recommended for a fly and camp visit.

** Walk down to South Sands and take the ferry,or walk to North Sands for lunch at the Winking Prawn.Uk strip flying at its best.

chevvron
10th Mar 2013, 03:18
Wasn't Salcombe the place where a practice D-Day landing by American troops went tragically wrong? I believe there's a memorial there.

4Screwaircrew
10th Mar 2013, 07:40
Chevron, I believe that was Slapton Sands.

Esperanza
10th Mar 2013, 07:44
The D-Day practice took place at Torcross, which is only a short drive away from Salcombe. There's a Sherman tank that's been placed as a memorial.

BBC - Devon - History - Exercise Tiger remembered (http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/articles/2009/04/15/exercise_tiger_anniversary_feature.shtml)

ICT_SLB
14th Mar 2013, 04:19
I was onboard a RNXS "Ham" Class minesweeper out of Poole back in the 70s (we were recovering an aircraft propellor for the FAA Museum) when we got talking about the aftermath of "Tiger". One of the crew had been on an MFV out of Portland and said they were picking up casualties for several weeks after - most were wearing life jackets but that had caused their death.
The definitive account is "Channel Firing: The Tragedy of Exercise Tiger" by Nigel Lewis, ISBN 0-670-82398-8.

chevvron
14th Mar 2013, 12:02
Also covered in 'After the Battle' magazine several years ago; they always have back issues available.