PDA

View Full Version : RVR minima of 800m - true for private flights?

pumpkinpilot
7th Mar 2013, 10:00
I was asked the following question by the IRE when I did an IR renewal a while ago.
"Assume you are making a landing at this airport, in a light twin, and the visibility is pretty bad. What is your RVR minimum?"

I looked at the plate, and quoted the RVR value - something like 600m.

He informed me that was incorrect - it should be 800m, in a single crew aircraft. I stood corrected. (He passed me anyway).

Later I tried to find the source of this - the best I could find was in JAR OPS1. I found the 800m, for Cat 1 ILS ops - but it was under the title "Aerodrome Minima for Public Transport Aeroplanes".

So, the question is - is it OK to use published RVR for private flights? If not, where is the proper reference, for PRIVATE flights.

Dan the weegie
7th Mar 2013, 10:14
It's nothing to do with commercial/private flights. RVR for single pilot ops is 800m unless you have an autopilot that's coupled to the ILS.

EU-OPS Subpart E.

Trim Stab
7th Mar 2013, 10:16
It's nothing to do with commercial/private flights. RVR for single pilot ops is 800m unless you have an autopilot that's coupled to the ILS.

EU-OPS Subpart E.

And EU-OPS only applies to commercial flights...

Pumpkinpilot was correct.

asdf1234
7th Mar 2013, 11:51
It used to be that you could refer to the old UK AIM for reference and that pointed you to AD 1.1.2 in the UK AIP and the relevant section was set out in full.

The current UK AIP (Published Feb 2013) still has reference to EU-OPS and not EASA-OPS.

However under the old information (AD.1.1.2 Aerodrome Operating Minima in the UK AIP) it stated clearly that private operations were to opererate to the same minima as commercial operations.

So is it safe to assume that the regulations in the updated UK AIP (section AD 1.1 Aerodrome and Helidrome Availability) will follow the same rules even though it still refers to EU-OPS and not EASA-OPS??

If we assume the regulations haven't changed then 800m is the correct answer. However with a UK AIP published in February 2013 still refering to EU-OPS who knows?