PDA

View Full Version : Geneva Approach STAR? sights & Bumpy?

tjamesbo
6th Mar 2013, 20:11
I am Flying Easyjet Luton to Geneva Sat 9th March Not flown into Geneva for a while but every previous time was a rough ride one extremely so Are the approaches generally bumpy or have i been unlucky ? possibly due to the mountainous terrain around whats the usual STAR from Luton ?
Also anything interesting to be seen on the way in ?
Thanks

srobarts
6th Mar 2013, 21:25
The charts are here (http://www.vacc.ch/en/airports_and_charts/LSGG) It is not rocket science that air is turbulent around mountains. Turbulence = bumpy ride.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Mar 2013, 21:38
And as those charts show, the STAR depends on the runway in use and not your departure point. STARs can be changed depending on traffic.

Have a good trip.

BOAC
7th Mar 2013, 07:21
And as those charts show, the STAR depends on the runway in use and not your departure point. STARs can be changed depending on traffic. - I think you need to get out more:p - 'as those charts show' - the primary STAR DOES depend on departure point, so for this poster he can expect a STAR 1 or 2 (LUSAR).

For 'tj' - I do think you have been quite 'unlucky' - in hundreds of arrivals into LSGG I have had few 'bumpy' ones. Most often a scenic LUSAR onto R23 via the St Prex VOR, steaming in over a blue blue lake. Hope you enjoy.

Georgeablelovehowindia
7th Mar 2013, 07:54
The met forecast pressure chart for Saturday shows that it's more likely to be calm and misty than bumpy. Hopefully you'll still get a view of the snow-capped mountains to the south, because as BOAC says it's a splendid sight.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Mar 2013, 09:11
BOAC. OK apologies for misleading the gent.

Hartington
7th Mar 2013, 12:48
From the UK my experience is that there is a minimum safe altitude across the Jura Mountains after which the distance to the runway isn't very long. This leads to a bit of a "dirty dive" to lose altitude and speed quickly. With the spoilers out this can lead to buffet which can feel like driving on cobblestones.

tjamesbo
7th Mar 2013, 16:46
Thanks for that Chaps:) It does look like a misty start Friday is misty all day saturday = rain forecast but its an early start out of Luton at 7:00 AM so hopefully no delays or cancellations due to Fog