PDA

View Full Version : New Record for most take off and landings - fundraiser to help hounds

bogdantheturnipboy
6th Mar 2013, 04:17
In early May Tim Howes plans to set a new Australian record! This record will be for the most number of aeroplane take offs and landings completed in one single day.

The previous record set on 7 May 2011 of 102 take off and landings was set by Ron Watts on behalf of the Mission Aviation Fellowship. This record was set in a vintage Beechcraft Musketeer Aircraft.

Tim’s goal is to achieve 120 take offs and landings and, to add to the challenge, he will be flying a much smaller aircraft – an open cockpit ultralight called a Drifter. Flying for this category of aircraft must be undertaken in daylight hours which means Tim must perform the record number of take offs and landings between sunrise and sunset.

This event will be used as a fundraiser to help the group Friends of the Hound.
Friends of the Hound help find homes for greyhounds discarded by the greyhound racing industry. Less than 5% of the 20 000 greyhounds breed in Australia become domestic pets, most of the rest are killed. They are considered "wastage".

I have adopted 2 greyhounds and they make the most wonderful pets.

They are gentle, sensitive dogs that require little exercise (they are sprinters with no endurance). A study in the USA found greyhounds to be the most docile and least aggressive breed towards humans and other dogs.

Please help support this fun raiser.
If you know of any businesses that would be interested in sponsoring this event please contact Tim

For more information about this world record attempt and to help greyhounds click this link
Friends in Flight | Taking awareness of Greyhounds as pets to new heights (http://fly.friendsofthehound.org.au/)

flywatcher
6th Mar 2013, 04:42
You must be joking, please tell me this is so.

bogdantheturnipboy
6th Mar 2013, 05:26
why do you think this is a joke?

Ultralights
6th Mar 2013, 05:33
in a drifter? so circuits will be at 500ft? or the 1000ft "standard"? would only be fair to claim the title if a full 1000 ft high casa regulation circuit is flown.

will be a struggle in a drifter!

Tankengine
6th Mar 2013, 05:44
I've done 52 glider tows in a day.
That was enough.:hmm:

Arm out the window
6th Mar 2013, 08:19
I normally get a few landings per circuit due bouncing, so I reckon I could have a red hot go at the record!

flywatcher
6th Mar 2013, 23:32
My comments had nothing to do with our four legged friends. I would think the average croppie on super would probably break that record hands down, if he bothered to count.

HarleyD
9th Mar 2013, 11:03
102 a record!! Hahaha

I have cracked 120 many times, and managed 124-125 a few times. And that was years ago. There are bound to be others who have beaten those numbers.

That involves each landing to a full stop, loading a ton and a bit of super (single super) a take off, spread said super, accurately and evenly, then return and land. Repeat. Refuel every 2 hours. Use 5 tanks of fuel. Average cycle time 6 min. I have heard of some kiwi hill strips where round trip is about half that but it needs a triangle farm wth a strip at the corner to actually work properly so it was BS really. They do put the super on heavier over there so 120 would be very normal in sowing season.

I did it daily to help bring succour to a down and out ag pilot, and to prevent CUB going out of business.

POP to fly a six minute 1000 agl stop and go circuit one or two up in a 172 but CAO 48 prevents the big numbers in training that the longer ag days allow. I would rather do 10 hours of ag than 6 hours of circuits with a sprog in the left seat in any case.

HD

screwballburling
9th Mar 2013, 11:45
All the records have been broken before we were all born, probably.

What about the AG pilots who flew solids?? 20 ton (lime) an hour in a C-180 was not unheard of. 10 hour day, you are looking at 150 t/o & ldgs +

Tigers and Cubs possibly even more.