PDA

View Full Version : The Bastards Closed all the Best Bases.

Courtney Mil
5th Mar 2013, 18:19
With so many RAF bases closing or already closed, I wonder which ones PPRuNeRs would have campaigned to retain - assuming anyone could have been bothered.

I'm being hard on myself and limiting my choice to two. Obvious ones, but that's the benefit of going firsts.

Chivenor
Leuchars

Oh, I might as well state wich ones I'd have chosen to close. Again two:

Valley
Any naval one - just for fun here :E (and to sustain Sharkey's paranoia about the RAF having it in for the RN)

Just for entertainment, you undersatand. You might want to support your choices. The agument for mine is that they were both brill places to live and fly from (Leu and Chiv, that is).

nice castle
5th Mar 2013, 18:21
Lyneham & Netheravon, same reasons as yours.

Don't really want to suggest base closure, but Wattisham might be up there. Not sure the Pongos care for it much either.

CoffmanStarter
5th Mar 2013, 18:26
Has to be RAF Biggin Hill on my save list Courtney ... BoB ... OASC. I wouldn't close any Stations ! :ok:

BEagle
5th Mar 2013, 18:26
Some others, sadly no longer real RAF aerodromes:

Abingdon
Biggin Hill
Binbrook
Bovingdon
Brawdy
Chivenor
Coltishall
Cottesmore
Gaydon
Kemble
North Weald
Oakington
Scampton
St Mawgan
Stradishall
Tangmere
Thorney Island
Wattisham
Watton
West Malling
West Raynham
White Waltham
Wittering

:{

CoffmanStarter
5th Mar 2013, 18:29
BEagle has got his historic UK En-route Sup out again :ok:

Add Manston to BEagle's list ... Even if only because of the +9000 foot runway :ok:

Courtney Mil
5th Mar 2013, 18:31
And Mr BEags, before we send you to your desert island, which of your favourite tracks would you save if a big wave came along and washed them all away?

Motleycallsign
5th Mar 2013, 18:31
Guetersloh & Upavon - two great tours

5 Forward 6 Back
5th Mar 2013, 18:32
Fond memories of Leuchars, but none more fond than those at Linton, both as a student and instructor. That's the one that'll really make my heart sink when it's finally closed. :{

2Planks
5th Mar 2013, 18:33
Courtney - the same 2 as you (can't imagine why ;)).

However, I reserve the right to change if Akronelli is ever threatened!

ExAscoteer
5th Mar 2013, 18:35
Lyneham
Finningley

Bob Viking
5th Mar 2013, 18:40
Coltishall would be top of my list. Loved the place.
Second place would be for Boscombe Down to be utilised more than it currently is. I know it's still open, but I'd love to fly FJs based out of there. Sadly I'm not TP material so it's unlikely!
I would vote to get rid of Coneheadsby. I think it's a bloody miserable place but I think it'll be around for a while yet!
BV:ok:

PercysPeople
5th Mar 2013, 18:41
Bentley Priory:{:{:{

CoffmanStarter
5th Mar 2013, 18:41
On my overseas save list ... RAF Luqa :ok:

Cows getting bigger
5th Mar 2013, 18:42
Gutersloh
Benson

Places I wouldn't miss:

Machrihanish
Brize
St Mawgan

BEagle
5th Mar 2013, 18:52
And Mr BEags, before we send you to your desert island, which of your favourite tracks would you save if a big wave came along and washed them all away?

Chivenor
Abingdon
Chivenor
Scampton
Chivenor
Tangmere
Chivenor
West Malling
Chivenor
West Raynham

...and Chivenor!

mad_jock
5th Mar 2013, 18:53
I thought you lost your cherry in Machrihanish CGB?

Laarbruch72
5th Mar 2013, 18:59
My username gives it away, I'd like Laarbruch to have survived as it was in 1990, but I suppose it is still there in a way which brings up another question... is this all a bit academic, as no station has survived as any of us remembered it, even if it's still open today in RAF hands.

The feeling you had at any given station in any given era is by its nature ephemeral.

Tashengurt
5th Mar 2013, 19:13
Laarbruch is, of course, right but I'd still vote for Leuchars every time.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

dallas
5th Mar 2013, 19:14
Keep Lyneham - great team spirit about the place in the 90s when there.

Wipe Leeming off the face of the planet - miserable place full of people on last tour trying to be as close to the NE as possible with no interest in anything other than themselves. (sweeping statement of course!)

Pontius Navigator
5th Mar 2013, 19:27
Cottesmore before the new build and before the wire went up. You could walk to the pub in Greetham in about the same time as it took to get your car keys, get your car from the garages near ops, and drive around.

It was across the field, passed the staish's quarter, down a farm track, thorough the mounds of the medieval village, through the church yard and thence the pub.

Mess party nights, often dominated by the marrieds saw us seeking out pubs even across the A1. All pre underpasses and drink driving.

Romeo Oscar Golf
5th Mar 2013, 19:47
Tengah..........................FEAF

CoffmanStarter
5th Mar 2013, 19:47
Might be a bit of a challenge to repatriate West Malling for BEagle as it is now the sprawling Kings Hill residential development :(

Twee road names like Hurricane Drive, Spitfire Road etc. :yuk:

http://www.alnocontracts.co.uk/images/cms/streetscene2_hi_(328_x_331).jpg

Corporal Clott
5th Mar 2013, 19:53
BEagle

Last time I looked the ones in GREEN were still open as RAF stations with airfields...those in RED still going under Army/Marines management...and ones in ORANGE in civvy management as active airfields...

Abingdon - with a VGS
Biggin Hill
Binbrook
Bovingdon - partly as short strip for light aircraft
Brawdy
Chivenor - with RAF SAR Flt
Coltishall
Cottesmore
Gaydon
Kemble
North Weald
Oakington
Scampton
St Mawgan
Stradishall
Tangmere
Thorney Island
Wattisham - with RAF SAR Flt
Watton
West Malling
West Raynham
White Waltham
Wittering - with RAF Gliding Club

At the end of the day, nothing lasts forever and at least 2/3rds are still doing something useful. So it's far better than it could have been (IMHO). :ok:

CPL Clott

PS and there's still an RAF Manston with Fire School...

PercysPeople
5th Mar 2013, 19:56
^^^ Shouldn't St Mawgan be Orange?

Gufair
5th Mar 2013, 19:57
Ah Kings Hill what a dreadful soulless place!!

CoffmanStarter
5th Mar 2013, 20:07
That's more like it :ok:

http://static.artfire.com/admin/product_images/thumbs/--90000--81799_product_876098414_thumb_large.jpg

I doubt we'd have enough active Stations these days to warrant a Tea Towel ... Not even a commemorative snot rag (sorry I'm forgetting myself ... Handkerchief) :(

BEagle
5th Mar 2013, 20:11
Last time I looked the ones in GREEN were still open as RAF stations with airfields...those in RED still going under Army/Marines management...and ones in ORANGE in civvy management as active airfields...

Yes, I realise that many fine RAF stations of the past are now occupied by grunts or glider drivers......

Doesn't change my opinion though.

Geehovah
5th Mar 2013, 20:12
Limiting to 2:

Wildenrath
Neatishead.

Ironic as I retired in the Coningsby area:O

SLLC
5th Mar 2013, 20:13
Very happy times at RAF Newton - Uni, Bulldog and a grass airfield. Great start to a flying career. Oh and Sek Kong was a blast for a quick visit!

Roadster280
5th Mar 2013, 20:27
So what flying stations will be left then?

Lossiemouth
Leeming
Linton
Cranwell
Coningsby
Waddington
Shawbury
Valley
Marham
Brize
Benson
Odiham.

Four of those twelve are training stations and another two for helicopters.

monkeytennis
5th Mar 2013, 20:35
Finningley - it's too damned quiet around here! :(

Herod
5th Mar 2013, 20:41
Syerston, Oakington, Sharjah, Thorney Island. Close MOD (Air) London?

reynoldsno1
5th Mar 2013, 20:51
Much Binding In The Marsh ... :ok:

Lima Juliet
5th Mar 2013, 20:53
So what flying stations will be left then?

Lossiemouth
Leeming
Linton
Cranwell
Coningsby
Waddington
Shawbury
Valley
Marham
Brize
Benson
Odiham.

Four of those twelve are training stations and another two for helicopters.

RAF Halton, RAF Cosford, RAF Scampton, RAF Syerston are all still flying with a daily flying program...

RAF Henlow, RAF Kirknewton and RAF Kenley have a weekend flying program...

And I'm sure I've missed some of the other Minor Aerodromes run by the RAF.

LJ

Roland Pulfrew
5th Mar 2013, 21:04
So what flying stations will be left?

You missed Northolt - but for how much longer - and RAF Woodvale.

Those for saving?

Church Fenton was one of the friendliest and most enjoyable tours for me.

And Kinloss

althenick
5th Mar 2013, 21:05
Ones I would have had saved
RNAS Lossiemouth
RNAS Lee on Solent
RNAS Portland

Ones I love to see go the way of the Do Do..

RAF Lossiemouth :E

skippedonce
5th Mar 2013, 21:05
Save:
Leuchars
Kirton-in-Lindsey

Lose:
Brize Norton

skua
5th Mar 2013, 21:20
CC
Thorney should be red. It was once a delightful place. The pongos have torn up the tarmac doing handbrake turns in their APCs or whatever. Sacrilege.

terveuren
5th Mar 2013, 21:28
Bruggen; if only for the golf course!
Coltishall - the best kept secret in the RAF.

Union Jack
5th Mar 2013, 21:44
Oh Althenick, you are a one!:D

Jack

smujsmith
5th Mar 2013, 21:49
Mine would have to be:

Akrotiri

Lyneham

Sorry !

Cornerstone958
5th Mar 2013, 22:00
All RAF Hospitals.

4fitter
5th Mar 2013, 22:19
Apart from all the RAF Hospitals I served in.

Benson
Akrotiri
Lyneham

So many happy memories

NutLoose
5th Mar 2013, 22:28
http://static.artfire.com/admin/product_images/thumbs/--90000--81799_product_876098414_thumb_large.jpg

Good God, a manual dishwasher and drying implement..... How quaint.

Windy Militant
5th Mar 2013, 22:39
Looks as If Brawdys days are numbered BBC News - Cawdor barracks to shut with 600 troops moving to St Athan (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21672681)

Finningley Boy
5th Mar 2013, 22:52
Although I didn't serve there, I know it well, so
Leuchars

and

rustle of envelope being opened...

St Mawgan!

FB:)

Alber Ratman
5th Mar 2013, 23:37
Top of the Pile for all the reasons Bob Viking pointed out,

Coltishall, people would mostly be a solution to a problem and were happy.

Fortunately my civilian career has allowed me to stay nearby.

Soft spot for Cottesmore too, enjoyed it even with the Leaping heaps.

CLOSE....

Conningshole = Dump and people would be a problem to a solution + miserable.
Marham. ditto

Barksdale Boy
6th Mar 2013, 01:04
Tengah, Butterworth and Kai Tak.

dmussen
6th Mar 2013, 02:29
Keep Valley and Leuchars.

Can Marham, Marham & Marham ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

D.

Krystal n chips
6th Mar 2013, 04:06
"Bruggen; if only for the golf course"

You will be pleased to learn that said golf course is still there and very much active. I went to Bruggen last Sept for the closure / reunion of the gliding club and sports flying in Germany per se. Had a good, and nostalgic, look around, on a glorious sunny day but the base was devoid of people.

"Q" is now a wasteland, as are the HAS sites. There is a small(ish) memorial under the "Welcome to Javelin Barracks" sign to commemorate ( which is nice of them, I suppose ) the former RAF Bruggen and other traces remain.

If you want to see a real ghost town however, try Rhein'D. Lets just say the silence was deafening. The party was held there as the Army, being the Army, declined to let the party take place at Bruggen.:ugh:

Purely for nostalgia, the BP garage in Elmpt has gone, but, the much frequented schnell imbiss, on the "S" bend by the Esso garage / Neiderkruchen road, has now been transformed into a paved dining area, with seats and tables no less....hence we had no option other than to dine there....force of habit as they say:ok:.

SRENNAPS
6th Mar 2013, 05:29
the BP garage in Elmpt has gone

Hardly anybody used him…….rumours of “watered” down petrol and rigged pumps not delivering the indicated amount were often muttered by local Bruggen folk. Ended up on the pop with the owner once in Elmpt Burghaus; strange chap.

Glad to hear the Esso garage is still going and the schnell has gone up market. Obviously in competition with the Ratsie outside the main gate.

Ah the good old days. I would still be in and there if Bruggen was still open.

AR1
6th Mar 2013, 05:34
Keep:
LYNEHAM. Never felt more at home anywhere else.
ST MAWGAN. Peferably with no fence for easy access to Watergate Bay and a ride home from the plods when you're a bit wobbly.

Close: St Athan. *hole

matkat
6th Mar 2013, 05:57
Gutersloh and Laarbruch.

Phileas Fogg
6th Mar 2013, 06:05
Colerne
Watton

diginagain
6th Mar 2013, 06:21
Sutton-on-Hull. Resurrected from a WWII Barrage Balloon Depot to become the training school for RAF Firemen, where, through the 60s and 70s, many redundant airframes were reduced to charred canvas and blobs of alloy.

Every summer, Dad would load us all into the Moggy Traveller and we'd head down to Kent, where our cousins would buy all the charred canvas and blobs of alloy from us to flog to their schoolchums as BoB memorabilia.

wayoutwest
6th Mar 2013, 06:21
and which were some of the most dreaded postings.

Evalu8ter
6th Mar 2013, 06:23
There's still enough tarmac at Thorney for RW circuits; I've spent many an hour there doing 'stuff' in a CH47.....as long as you're careful not to scare the horses. There was a rumour a few years back of amalgamating all UK SF Air and maritime assets at Thorney due to it's access to the sea and remote location. Seems the beancounters were not convinced.....

Oh, and Beags, clattering around Abingdon does take one back to the 'good old days'.......

AGS Man
6th Mar 2013, 06:34
Closed bases I enjoyed and would bring back... Cottesmore, great tour there. The rest are detatchments, Hendon, Chivenor and Filton.
Woke up to a pea souper fog one morning and thought Ahhh it was all a bad dream Honington has gone!

Ali Qadoo
6th Mar 2013, 07:48
Keep:
Leuchars - flippin' bleak in winter though
Chiv - lucky enough to spend 4 years there
Brawdy - even with the 40 knot fog, what a great place. Gorgeous countryside, friendly locals, fantastic pubs
Wattisham - loved the local area. Surprised to see a number of negative comments, but life would be dull if we all liked the same things
Tangmere and Thorney - nice part of the world
Little Rissington - never had the privilege of serving there but the local area is lovely
Aston Down - ditto
West Malling - crying shame that it's been turned into a housing estate

Close:
Valley (twinned with HMP Belmarsh)
Valley
Coningsby
and did I mention Valley?

BEagle
6th Mar 2013, 08:03
Looks as If Brawdys days are numbered BBC News - Cawdor barracks to shut with 600 troops moving to St Athan

Well, interesting that Philip Hammond said the remote Cawdor barracks site was "not fit for purpose - that is the reality".

"It's a very remote, singleton garrison site," he said.

Back in Hunter days in 1976, morale amongst those posted there for a tour wasn't good. The groundcrew weren't happy at being miles from anywhere and the Officers Mess was run by TGWU civilians who weren't terribly flexible. We students liked it though - unlike Valley, the locals were very friendly.

In those days, the M4 stopped at Newport, apart from a couple of small sections near Port Talbot. The A40 from Carmarthen to Haverfordwest was all single carriageway and it took about 5 hours if you were lucky to get from London to Brawdy...most of which was west of the Severn Bridge.

Hearing of the level of discontent, some MP finally made it to the station. He didn't endear himself to his audience when he began by saying "I didn't realise how far this place was from London", but then a hairy old NCO politely asked him why the mileage allowance rates were so poor. The MP tried to brush this aside as being a trivial question, but was then asked what his mileage rate was - it was about 3-4 times the RAF rate. Then the NCO continued "So you've come all this way at ()p per mile and you can't even tell us why we only get a quarter of that? If that's a trivial question, heaven help us if anyone wants the answer to something more serious!" - before getting up and walking out...:uhoh:

But flying single seat Hunters in the Summer of '76 took some beating.....:ok:

OldnDaft
6th Mar 2013, 08:21
Bruggen - no debate. Had 2 fantastic tours there.

Never had a bad tour although Digby is sorely testing my patience at the moment.....

AR1
6th Mar 2013, 08:52
unlike Valley, the locals were very friendly.

Careful !! ;-)

dmussen
6th Mar 2013, 09:07
Beagle,
You have reminded me of the life on the ground on Angelsey.
Was it because we made too much noise?
To walk into a a pub and have the assembled company turn their backs and talk Welch hurt.
I only killed a few sheep once (20 - ish).
A tad low just before the lake on the A 5 run. White stuff ran over a cliff.
I then lined up on the left of centre over the lake.
Next thing I pass 5 climbers wearing very jolly colourful kit. The ropes were blue and orange.
Roll and pull and one is over the slate mine down "the Valley" at Bethesda.
Ops normal until I was taxying in. ATC told me to attend with the duty instructor up in the tower. Sh1t, not again.
Any wonder I was posted to bloody Marham!!!!!!!!!!! I must say, however that I would not have missed a single moment.

Me thinks we were very lucky and we got paid as well.

Davey.

Art Field
6th Mar 2013, 09:45
Medmenham, great food, gracious living.

Widger
6th Mar 2013, 11:16
Well.......if you are into weeping?

http://cloudobservers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2011/07/Royal-Naval-Air-Stations-100.pdf

Fox3WheresMyBanana
6th Mar 2013, 11:52
Keep

Akrotiri - party central

Brawdy (get a motorbike - 5 hours becomes 3)
Leeming (live off base in the Dales) -
reasons - flying (esp. access to LL), locals

Lose
Coningsby
same reasons

bushveld
6th Mar 2013, 12:01
Gan! Many happy memories there.

Dan Gerous
6th Mar 2013, 12:27
Save Kinloss and Belize.

Lose Leeming and Valley

alwayslookingup
6th Mar 2013, 13:23
#36, pedant mode on. Wouldn't RNAS Lossiemouth more properly been known as HMS Fulmar under the auspices of the dark blue?

Circuit Clear
6th Mar 2013, 13:43
Keep:

Brawdy, the most enjoyable work and social 3 years out of 35. And the 40mph fog!
Scampton, really nostalgic reasons...first tour `72, Vulcans, Mickey Finns, "The" Scampton Fog..seemed to last for 40 days but an awesome place to be with the V-force. Never had two pennies to rub together though that didn`t seem to matter!

In the Bin:

Keep them all! Memories need somewhere to be formed.

Jumping_Jack
6th Mar 2013, 14:12
Wildenrath & Chiv.

I remember the Harriers popping off down to Koblenz to check out the campsite, opposite Ehrenbreitstein, for spaces ready for the 'Rhine In Flames'. Report back to Ops then the caravan convoy would set off. Had some cracking joint bbqs on arrival whilst watching the fireworks. :ok:

aw ditor
6th Mar 2013, 15:36
Barkston Heath. The snap crackle and pop of the Merlins of the Balliols?

sled dog
6th Mar 2013, 15:40
Bring back Duxford / Tengah / Changi

GGR
6th Mar 2013, 15:55
When postings were dished out at Shawbury and I was being sent Upavon......grass strip, 1 aircraft, C-in-C's Pembroke, I could have wept!

When I was leaving Upavon after 2 fabulous years in Air Support Command Ops I definitely did shed tears. Apart from a great job the place was awash with WRAF. 3 to 1 IIRC.....Nuffsaid

UPAVON

Considering its historic past and importance to the VERY early days of RFC and RAF its a crying shame the Army are now in charge.

diginagain
6th Mar 2013, 16:08
Considering its historic past and importance to the VERY early days of RFC and RAF its a crying shame the Army are now in charge. Not a trace of irony?

Fg Off Bloggs
6th Mar 2013, 16:43
Laarbruch for me and probably Honington a close second!

Bin None. I always had a bloody good time wherever I was sent (or dropped into for a night or 2) but it mostly resulted in please jump to last 3 words!

Jumping Jack:

'Rhine In Flames'

or as it was known at Bruggen 'Career in Flames'!

Bloggs:ok:

Yellow Sun
6th Mar 2013, 17:58
Sorry they're gone:

Gaydon, situated amongst some of the best pubs in England
St Mawgan

Happy to see go:

Kinloss, a mean-spirited place.

YS

Lima Juliet
6th Mar 2013, 18:09
What is really shocking for me is the fact that there are only 4 Combat Aircraft* bases - Coningsby, Leuchars, Marham and Lossiemouth.

By 2019 there will be only 3! :eek:

Within 8 years since 2011 we will have halved the number of Combat Aircraft bases; within 20 years we will have 1/8th left - that's 12%!!!

*= Combat Aircraft as defined in the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE), a fixed-wing or variable-geometry wing aircraft armed and equipped to engage targets by employing guided missiles, unguided rockets, bombs, guns, cannons, or other weapons of destruction, as well as any model or version of such an aircraft which performs other military functions such as reconnaissance or electronic warfare.

LJ :{

Rigga
6th Mar 2013, 18:10
Wow. I've managed to shug all the way through this lot - and still no-one's mentioned that monolith of rotary learning. The most gentle and quiet place I was ever posted to...

Tern Hill

...even though we had to kick out some ne'er-do-well's.

thing
6th Mar 2013, 18:14
Good places

Swinderby-six weeks of boy scouts but with live ammo, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Coningsby-summer of '76, 228 OCU liney, fast motorbike, great mates, girlfriends galore, great memories.

Cosford-instructor, brilliant job, enjoyed every day. Met some of the top athletes of the day, learned to fly there and being a lifeguard was on the key list for the pool, so basically had my own swimming pool for the wife and family.

Waddo-did some great dets with the E3, liked Lincoln so much we still live here.

Watton-spent five months living there whilst on the Bucc course at Honington. Sleepy, bucolic place. Loved it.

Crap places

Valley-only did MPC there but by God, someone stick a nuke on it and improve it.

Mt Pleasant-is it? Ho ho 'kin ho.

Newton-not the place to be a dirty techy when the place is the training base for the Provost branch. I used to wear odd coloured socks to wind them up. Bizzare people.

Binbrook-other than having the frightning it had nothing whatsoever to recommend it to human habitation. I didn't even live there but just spending a working day there was depressing.

GGR
6th Mar 2013, 18:39
Not a trace of irony?

Perhaps. What once was, is again......sans aeroplanes. From my last visit the current tennants dont appear to give a toss about the place.

GGR

Saintsman
6th Mar 2013, 19:50
Not one of the more well known ones but RAF Chilmark near Salisbury was very quaint. A really facinating place.

Never ever liked Coningsby.

Lima Juliet
6th Mar 2013, 20:26
I liked Coningsby for my 3 tours - not as good as Leuchars but better than Leeming (ie. a service station on the A1!). IMHO, of course!

My least favourites have been:

Valley - it rained every day or night I was there over 6 months
Valley - the locals were some of the most ignorant I have ever met
Valley - I don't rate the 'best' on offer (Treadur Bay Hotel and the Moonlight in Llanghefni)
Valley - the A55 sucks the dog of death!
Valley - the Officers' Mess is a converted hospital without the nurses

We should have kept either Brawdy and/or Chivenor and given Anglesey to the Free Welsh Republic

LJ

Tankertrashnav
6th Mar 2013, 22:54
Maybe because I didnt actually train there I'd nominate South Cerney. Lovely little station with an old-fashioned feel to it, near Cirencester and adjacent to the beautiful Cotswolds. Nice change from most of the places east of the A1 where anyone on Vs tended to end up.

ExAscoteer
6th Mar 2013, 23:10
South Cerney was the first Mess I stayed in as an APO (after the Cranwell short course) upon joining my UAS (albeit it was Army by then).

Also went to several Mess functions there when I was on Albert.

Lovely place.

I'd also nominate Hullavington.

AR1
6th Mar 2013, 23:33
Hullavington..was empty to the most part when i was working there. Lovely feel, wood paneled mess if i remember... also bumped into my old swinders DI who was now the SWO. He seemed genuinely touched that i rememberd him after 15 years.
Good call.

ExAscoteer
7th Mar 2013, 00:25
Hullavington was great even after the Regt pulled out leaving only the Balloon Sqn.

Yes, a wood panelled Class A Mess which had been divided into 'O's and NCOs halves.

After the Army took it over it really didn't change much.

Interesting tales could be told of landing Albert there at night. :)

bucklt
7th Mar 2013, 01:50
Re-open Bruggen and Tengah please...say no more!

Bucklt :ok:

diginagain
7th Mar 2013, 05:06
Perhaps. What once was, is again......sans aeroplanes.Sign of the times, I'm afraid. The RAF isn't big enough to utilise its estate, and it makes perfect sense to hand it over to those who can best make use of it, even if they have to adapt the facilities to their particular requirements. If you want a museum, put some cash into saving what is left of RAF Bicester.

thunderbird7
7th Mar 2013, 05:59
Interestingly, Cawdor Barracks - aka Brawdy - has been described by the Defence Secretary as "not fit for purpose" with the highest number of unaccompanied in the UK. Howcome it was ok for the RAF for all those years...?

Yellow Sun
7th Mar 2013, 08:09
Interesting that no one has mentioned Little Rissington yet? Must be worthy of an entry even if it's only for the beer in The Fox at Broadwell.:)

YS

Al R
7th Mar 2013, 08:18
Akrotiri.

I wouldn't have minded if my pay statement had said 'invoice' at the top of it.

Catterick.

Greenham Common.

Courtney Mil
7th Mar 2013, 08:20
We should have kept either Brawdy and/or Chivenor and given Anglesey to the Free Welsh Republic

Was exactly my argument at the time. Good access to LFA7 and Pembrey (happy days), but the Viet Taff won on political grounds. The locals did nothing but complain about the "Occupying Forces of the Island of Anglesea" then as soon as there was a wiff of closing Valley it was all "Oh, you can't do that, the local economy would collapse", "Typical London decision to close bases in Wasles" etc.

Party Animal
7th Mar 2013, 09:10
RAF Mountbatten was a cosy little place. Sat in the mess overlooking the water....

oldpax
7th Mar 2013, 09:46
Not many replies wanting RAF Ballykelly opened then!! I enjoyed my two years on "Coastal" and as a 17/18 year old found the locals friendly(1960ish)and the Guinness a good drink at a shilling a bottle!Of course the shacks were big and slow and most of this forum appeared to have driven "paraffin budgies!!!

Fatjoff
7th Mar 2013, 09:56
Closing Church Fenton as a proper station was criminal. keeping it on as it is now is downright cruel. I spent three and a half very happy years there at the end of the eighties and it was mega. Everyone knew each other it was that small. I got involved in all aspects of stn life, living in the mess, running the footy team and the stn mag, and heavily involved in the theatre club. Also fire flight commander - what a great bunch of lads they were, mostly. I ran the weekly quiz in the White Horse in the village - miserable b****rds and drank ever so occasionally in the Fenton Flyer.

One that deserved to be closed - West Drayton. Good location so close to London, great community feel in the mess, but what a dump the mess was. Missed the closing down party which apparently was one hell of a night. Should have developed North Luffenham to house London Mil rather than move to Swanwick.

teeteringhead
7th Mar 2013, 10:58
Tern Hill
.. as I'm sure you know Rigga, the airfield is still ours and used as an RLG by Shawbury rotary and also houses 632 VGS.

The "Station" is now Clive (of India?) Barracks; and the first thing the pongoes did was ruin the proportions of the Officers' Mess by demolishing the wings - :ugh::ugh: - makes a once wonderful Mess a most odd shape.

oldmansquipper
7th Mar 2013, 11:09
To have kept/keep:ok:

Tangmere - Spent my formative years lying in the long grass along side the threshhold watching the Hunters coming & going, then (later) flying out of there with the ATC.

Akrotiri - A Wonderful place

Kingsfield Dhekelia - Soloed gliding in 69 and its near AKR.

Laarbruch - 7 cold war years there in toto . Worked hard - played harder. Wonderful people We had a purpose for being. Loved it!

Bicester - Its still clinging on to aviation but if it ceases to be, it will be a crime!

Places to close?:*

Valley Lovely part of the world, but never high in the management stakes (IMHO)

Airfield Camp Belize - Run by the pongos - NOT GOOD

Bladdered
7th Mar 2013, 11:42
Saxa Vord of course!

raf saxa vord - Bing Images (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=raf+saxa+vord&qpvt=raf+saxa+vord&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=2BACFEB2ED603E90FA28EE381D13CA5EF9796970&selectedIndex=82)

CoffmanStarter
7th Mar 2013, 12:06
Here are some sobering numbers ...

Since the formation of the RAF ... there have been some 737 former RAF Stations of various sizes in the UK. Likewise there have been 214 former Overseas RAF Stations.

We now have 54 in the UK ... The Americans occupy a further 10 ... and our overseas RAF Stations number 7

Too time consuming to work a cut on these numbers per decade ... but you get the picture :(

Coff.

denachtenmai
7th Mar 2013, 12:26
oldpax
Not many replies wanting RAF Ballykelly opened then!!
Loved my 2.5 years on 204, about the same time.
Not mentioned yet, Wyton, magic posting, 51, 58, and 543, one happy station in the 60's/ 70's.
Regards,Den.

Tashengurt
7th Mar 2013, 12:40
Farnborough was a great little number. Living out with normal people, low numbers, relaxed atmosphere and none of that military silliness to get in the way.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Courtney Mil
7th Mar 2013, 12:43
Yes, it was, Tash. Made a nice change for a while.

tornadohotas
7th Mar 2013, 12:53
Now, not wanting to be too controversial (well maybe a little bit) I would like to suggest St Athan. It's only been mentioned a couple of times in this thread and not in a good light. It was a very interesting place to be back in the 80's and (early) 90's. Back in those days it was a "centre of excellence" and conducted 3rd line maintenance on virtually every aircraft in the RAF inventory. Not only that but St Athan contained the workshops of the RAF and could manufacture many items that couldn't be obtained off the shelf.
Together with the fact the area is beautiful with numerous decent country pubs in the vicinity.

Rather be Gardening
7th Mar 2013, 13:57
Keep: Coltishall - the RAF at its best. Hereford - lovely area, great Officers' Mess, super mess staff who'd been there for ages and always seemed cheerful and helpful.

Lose: High Wycombe - misery central. Very few people wanted to be there. See comments on Hereford staff and reverse them........

Hammer Head Too
7th Mar 2013, 14:02
Try loading the RAF Stations.kmz to Google Earth and have an OMG moment to how many RAF Stations have existed

Coltishall - best in UK

Bruggen - Best overseas

Worst - Valley (everything), Halton (Admin & support staff) & Locking (courses only, totally unhelpful staff)

Then there was Binbrook ;);) Brilliant in it's awfulness ;);)

HH2

BEagle
7th Mar 2013, 14:13
When it was RAF St Athan, it was always interesting working with the Twin Peaks teams at Scrapheap Challenge to sort out VC10K air tests. There was usually a reason to spend the night there, then trudge down to the Bovvy Castle for the odd tincture and a bite to eat - when their kitchen was closed they didn't even mind us bringing something in from the chippy on the opposite side of the road.

But as a choice for flight testing large aircraft, St. Athan wasn't brilliant. Poor weather factor, no approach aids (then), short runway, no de-icing and blacktop priority for the camp roads, rather than the RW....:(

One of the last parts of the air test was to drop the ELRAT, after which you had to be on the ground within 10 min (for ELRAT blade fatigue reasons). If weather was marginal, this gave one an excuse to drop down to VMC over the Bristol Channel, find the Nash Point light, go right hand down a bit to find the airfield and confirm you could get in visually. Then out over the Channel again, a quick extended pattern to drop the ELRAT and get the chaps to check the output, then turn back in and land. Happy times - but what a daft place to use for testing VC10s!

OM 'transit' accommodation was pretty dank though - I once encountered the visiting CFS trappers at breakfast in a pretty black mood after they'd spent a miserbly uncomfortable night there. "At least the day can only get better", one chap said "It's always good to visit UWAS - it's a very happy and well-run squadron!".

Regarding Valley, I rather enjoyed it back in 1975. There was only one road bridge over the Menai Straits and no dual carriageway on the island, so hardly anyone ventured far. Thus it was something like an overseas tour for we students - much of the TV was in a foreign language, devoid of vowels. The Gnat course was hard work, holding in the summer and then the Hunter refresher course was brilliant. I went back to do a Hawk refresher in 1980 and it was still fun!

In the Astra (remember those?) we were waiting for the film to start when the National Anthem played - and some locals (this was long before barriers, gates etc.) decided that they wouldn't stand up, let alone to attention. Whereupon Jones-the-flicks, stopped the music and gave them a loud dressing-down in Welsh...they sheepishly stood up and events continued. Splendid chap - as was Jones-the-motor, who supplied me with the critical MG Midget throttle cable I needed so that I could drive to England for Easter.

What exactly was it about Valley that made so many people hate it?

thing
7th Mar 2013, 14:20
Airfield Camp Belize - Run by the pongos - NOT GOOD When I arrived I was most dischuffed to find out I would be living on Foxy/Golf dispersal in a portacabin. Within an hour I realised I had been blessed. Portacabins were air con, own cook for the eight of us and own cleaner. Our shower was run off the fire station's supply (had to watch for the land crabs though..) and we dossed around in shorts and desert boots all day. Brilliant. We never went up to main camp.

Edit: As I remember Charlie /Delta dis had their own pet parrot and we had two pet dogs, Pedro and Griswald.

Union Jack
7th Mar 2013, 14:48
Judging by the extended period of the closures lamented by the many nostalgic posters, there are clearly a lot of "bastards" about ....:sad:

Jack

Widger
7th Mar 2013, 15:04
Deci. Happy days watching 617 fighting each other!

pontifex
7th Mar 2013, 15:55
Although, in other ways I am quite normal, I had a great time at Marham and would not like to see it go. I would also vote for Little Rissington (The holy hill) and Horsham St Faith which was ideally placed for Norwich before it got cars and lots of new houses.

staircase
7th Mar 2013, 16:00
Lindholme....for number 2 mess.

''I know it is a bit early Geordie, but are you open to a thirsty Flying Officer?''

''To you sir, yes sir, but could you drink it somewhere the station commander will not see it when he pops in for his fags in a few mins!''

AR1
7th Mar 2013, 16:17
Having previously disrespected St Athan, the picture painted suddenly brought into mind my stint on the gate one disco night. 3 coachloads of scantily clad women who excelled in close harmony singing attempting to remove my clothes while I signed them in.

Keep it open.

E-Spy
7th Mar 2013, 17:46
It is not just the RAF that closes all the good ones - the Luftwaffe is closing Lechfeld as of 31 March this year :{ (for those that don't know, a handy land away for Oktoberfest and the mountains)

The Royal Bavarian Air Force is getting smaller too....

smujsmith
7th Mar 2013, 17:57
Did I see a previous post for Colerne ? Mega place to have "got some in", I will never, ever, forget OC Admin (Wg Cdr) insisting that ID be carried at all times "on base". He got arrested and locked in the guardroom cells at least twice for doing his nightly jog, on camp, sans 1250.:)

Bob Viking
7th Mar 2013, 18:08
I think you'll probably find there are quite a few people who actually did like Valley, it's just not cool to admit to it in public apparently!
Not including time spent as a student, I spend five years there between 2007-2012 and had a great time. I can understand why young single blokes, or those with significant others in Southern England, weren't especially keen but few other RAF bases offer the outdoor opportunities and Chester and other civilzation is only just over an hour away.
I should also add that it has changed a lot in the last decade so if people's opinions are based on the Valley of a bygone era then they may be surprised with how it is now.
Besides, I have to stick up for the place since Mrs BV is a local!
BV:eek:

Rigga
7th Mar 2013, 18:09
Teetering Head sed:
".. as I'm sure you know Rigga, the airfield is still ours and used as an RLG by Shawbury rotary and also houses 632 VGS.

The "Station" is now Clive (of India?) Barracks; and the first thing the pongoes did was ruin the proportions of the Officers' Mess by demolishing the wings - - makes a once wonderful Mess a most odd shape."

Yes. And after all that the IRA then blew up my old Barack Block and ruined a really historic building beyond repair - well after it should have been pulled down anyway.

Always a Sapper
7th Mar 2013, 20:25
Keep

Leuchars, but only in the summer. Winter? I'd rather move to Norway. Warmer, less windy and the local wildlife is less scary after a few gallons of falling over juice :suspect:

Lyneham, buy out the house's / hovels at the end of 24/06, divert the road thereby taking out the steep winding hill and bringing it out onto the lyne/basset road. Then extend the runway big time towards basset to improve the capacity.

Wroughton. Keep the airfield and hospital, developing the hospital into a world class major trauma centre and the airfield into a TACMED specialist airfield. Go international with the service.

Bicester, run it as a sort of Museum / Old farts drinking place. But either way it should have been kept 'whole' and restored to 1939-45 condition, used in an educational manner to educate the youth and as a memorial to the crews lost during the 1939-45 tiff.

Close

Consider closing both Brize AND Lyneham - Move both into Fairford. Sell Brize to the local pikies to use as a winter stop over. Considering the mismanagement over the years of the local planning some past and present members of the Carterton planning commitee more than deserve the shock that rumour would bring :E:

Turn Lyneham into a playpark... Oh wait a mo, were already doing that... :\

What about Keevil? Now that would be a quiet posting

Canadian Break
7th Mar 2013, 21:14
Maybe it is just me - but I enjoyed my 3 years at Binbrook (76-79). Sticky, Mike Graydon, Tiger Carter et al.:E

Waddo Plumber
7th Mar 2013, 21:46
Waddo in the mid 70's, Wittering in the late 70's. Didn't have one I hated.

alisoncc
8th Mar 2013, 07:15
Locking and Leconfield - good riddance. Finningley, Sharjah and Changi - magic. Re-open them anytime and I will volunteer my services.

Whenurhappy
8th Mar 2013, 07:32
RAF Mount Batten - I was attached there for a month or so before it closed. Sitting in the Officers' Mess looking over Plymouth Sound - and the OO having to ascend the Gun Tower to lower the Ensign with the DNCO - armed with a key from the 17th Century!

RAF Hereford - pleasant place, great Mess (now demolished), nice part of the country. Now occupied by Them...

RAF Thorny Island - the RAF Sailing Association has/had a great clubhouse there.

RAF Holmpton...selected for quirkiness - anyone out there still serving who knew of this place?

threeputt
8th Mar 2013, 07:58
Having spent 19 years stationed at them it has to be:

The best

#1 Bruggen

#2 Waddington

The comon denominator was that, in my time, there were 4 squadrons of mud moving aircraft on each.

The worst

Brize
Scampton

3P:ok:

Courtney Mil
8th Mar 2013, 08:13
Holmpton. Good call. Just had fun reading up on that one. :ok:

Whenurhappy
8th Mar 2013, 08:23
I visited Holmpton on an inspection c 1997; in the R3 bunker it still had State Boards up for the RAF Hospitals, bottled gas holdings at our former airship base, V-parking slots available on Support Command airfield etc. A complete time warp of a place.

One of the Civil Service Security Guards had gone mad and chased the other staff around the site with an axe. Not surprising, really. Too close to Hull.

Bob Wyer
8th Mar 2013, 08:24
Akrotiri 65-69
the flying and the people

Thumrait 83-85
the flying and the people

Wasn't I a very fortunate budgie?

lauriebe
8th Mar 2013, 09:07
Spent at week at Holmpton (Patrington) when it was an MRS not the funny farm that it later became. That was on a detachment from another great little posting; Hartland Point in 69.

The other posting that stands out was, of course, Butterworth/Penang 66/68.

hammy21
8th Mar 2013, 09:20
Best RNAS Portland(HMS Osprey) 703 Sqn early 70's. Lodged ashore in Weymouth,no accomodation on board.Became a Wasp pilot(Radio mech really)in the summer months,really impressed the holiday making totty!
Worst RNAS Honington(RAF)-middle of nowhere,joys of Barnham camp!

Waddo Plumber
8th Mar 2013, 14:51
For obscure, I offer RAF Theddlethorpe, which had an officer, a WO and some airmen, a combined everything building, lots of muddy ranges, and a huge nightclub, which pulled totty at the weekend from Nottingham and Leicester to the Lincolnshire coast in the 70s.

wub
8th Mar 2013, 15:16
RAF Nordhorn was nice, as was Mountbatten and Oakington. I loved Troodos, liked Innsworth and Stanmore Park and hated every second I was at Henlow. I counted up the other day and in my time in uniform, I served at, was detached to or visited 44 RAF stations.

Wander00
8th Mar 2013, 15:26
Like Theddlethorpe, Donna Nook had probably a larger bar stock than its parent - B......k. Went with OC PMS (newly promoted) on surprise bar stock check, and was he surprised. Wanted to come all "heavy" but I managed to persuade him that it was all in the interests of good community relations. IIRC they had a flight sergeant there early 80s who did quite well on Mastermind.

SOSL
8th Mar 2013, 18:21
Been off air for a while, computer became confused after some sort of cyber trauma and refused to recognise its keyboard. Got a new one now with twin carbs and a B and O audio.

1st tour at Wyt in 73/74 - magic place.

All the sqns listed in previous posts - lots of great guys (including Al Suicide (39 Sqn) and, from the tower, Steve Dzuiba (RIP)) - lots of stunning girls on the many JSPI courses who could be persuaded to frolic in the swimming pool in front of the OM. Even the Flt Lt WRAF from the education centre was a real cutie.

I became "friendly" with a nearby farmer's daughter (she was only a farmers daughter but she couldn't keep her calves together).

And, for the anoraks, there was some seriously interesting engineering going on, because that's what we did in those days.

Then I was posted to some other places - the one I enjoyed least was Wattisham - for personal reasons.

Then before I finally retired (1999/2004) I was posted back to Wyton. No sqns any more but lots of great guys and gals; no names no pack drill. I had a whale of a time. We were still doing team building expeds back then and blimey we had a few - I remember scrambling up a cliff with my face about 6 inches below a female civil serpent's nether regions and when we got to the top she said " sorry you had to suffer that" I just smiled quietly to myself.

So, for me - get rid of Wattisham....oh, whoops too late!

Keep Wyton....oh, whoops too late!

Rgds SOS

Willard Whyte
8th Mar 2013, 18:44
Close everything north of the River Thames, and above all get Thorney Island back, it's on Goodwood's doorstep.

lsd
8th Mar 2013, 18:55
Fondest memories of stations in their very last days when I think I was the last pilot to fly from them.....
Acklington - lovely low-level country when every one thought you were SAR (despite being camouflaged) and never complained.
Riyan - wandering from my room to the bar past XS 675 parked between the two

and only a short detachment to Valley left me with an unfavourable impression and no wish to return

Q-RTF-X
9th Mar 2013, 03:11
Very Good
:) Akrotiri 61-64 Canberras then Station Flight (variously SITF/VASF then TASF) Great Kebab gatherings - Personal No 1 Little Arif
:) Masirah 66-67 Fantastic esprit de corps and always busy. Never a dull moment
:) Akrotiri 70 - 73 Lightnings, Lightnings and Lightnings plus inevitable Kebab and Meze bashes. Little known spot on opposite side of road from Little Arif heading towards the Keo factory, about 100 yards or so. Never knew the name, we only knew it as "The Shilling Brandy Coke Bar". It was just as we named and the owner was generous to a fault with the Brandy but nursed the coke like it was the last bottle in the world. Fantastic value; very basic place, would be packed with a dozen guys there ! Great for warming up then only a short stagger to Little Arif.

Not too bad
:hmm: Valley late 60's - Granted I was on MPC - Our own world really. Despite much bad press I did not find the locals too bad, maybe because we had our own circle and did not need to rub shoulders with the Trogs too much, though those I did seemed OK.

Not very keen
:oh: Scampton - Miserable in Winter, and it seemed like winter most of the time.
:* Wattisham - Miserable full stop

Was always sorry never got to FEAF but in another life spent a lot of time in that part of the world. Even got to set up a corporate ground handling office at Seletar

dmussen
9th Mar 2013, 08:50
North Luffenham (decompressions and Ruddles fine ale).
Mountbatten (Sea survival and brilliant tea and hot buttered toast).
I recall a large portrait of Lawrence of Arabia in the entrance to the mess.
He was dressed in his A/C 1's overalls. What a shame he dropped the Brough Superior.

D.

Brian 48nav
9th Mar 2013, 10:41
Gaydon, when it was 2ANS. Great instructors, beautiful area, good pubs around, especially the one in Lighthorne which you reached by walking straight out of the back of the station.

Changi - though sadly I didn't appreciate it until too late in my tour - that 'married under 25' nonsense had made me quite bitter at first.

Yellow Sun
9th Mar 2013, 12:22
Gaydon, when it was 2ANS. Great instructors, beautiful area, good pubs around, especially the one in Lighthorne which you reached by walking straight out of the back of the station.

The Antelope

YS:ok:

Barksdale Boy
9th Mar 2013, 12:46
Also The Butcher's Arms at Priors Hardwick. Still going strong, I understand.

BEagle
9th Mar 2013, 13:28
As oldmansquipper wrote:
To have kept/keep:ok:

Tangmere - Spent my formative years lying in the long grass along side the threshhold watching the Hunters coming & going, then (later) flying out of there with the ATC.

Speaking of which:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Tangmere3_zps91f3f48d.jpg

A splendid sight earlier today, belting along the Cotswold line! Battle of Britain* Class No. 34067 Tangmere.

As I'd already completed my circuit consolidation when ULAS went to RAF Thorney Island on Summer Camp in 1970, I never managed to fly at Tangmere, which we were using as an RLG. What a missed opportunity! But some illicit doggers over the Isle of Widget was rather fun!

*I have other relevant photos, of course....:E

clicker
9th Mar 2013, 23:34
BEagle, looks like they have cleaned that loco since I was saw her. Stopped at Preston Park for water and she was in a terrible state.

Now back on topic :)

Can only speak from a "guests" view

West Raynham and Finningley to keep.

Wattisham and Lyneham to go.

Skeleton
10th Mar 2013, 10:14
Keep Lossie and Waddington.

Bin Leuchars and Cottesmore.

Am i allowed to vote for Cottesmore twice?? :p

LEFTI
10th Mar 2013, 12:59
Aldergrove - Great messes, good bars, good gym and a swimming pool, plus an international airport to get anywhere in the world on your week off :-)

Leuchars - Excellent place to fly from with Edinburgh on your door step and the scottish slopes within reach in the winter.

Corrona
10th Mar 2013, 13:51
Loved my 2 years on Ascension Island, and would have loved to have experienced RAF Gan (and all the other FEAF bases).

alisoncc
10th Mar 2013, 18:04
Didn't know Gan was FEAF. Always thought it was part of OIAF - Oddball Islands Air Force, along with Christmas Island and the Falklands. :)

Finningley Boy
10th Mar 2013, 21:21
Keep Lossie and Waddington.

Bin Leuchars and Cottesmore.

Am i allowed to vote for Cottesmore twice??

Evil Heretic! Repent here on pprune before its too late!

FB

Skeleton
11th Mar 2013, 05:35
LOL I will gladly remain a heretic. Cottesmore should be wiped off the face of the planet, along with the prima donas that inhabited it during the worst tour of my 27 year career.

TheNightOwl
11th Mar 2013, 05:42
Finningley Boy,

How can you, in all conscience, wear the name of the most miserable s***-hole of a unit where I had to spend two tours? The best and happiest days of my twenty-two years were the days I left firstly for Cranwell and then Lossie for my last five.

God help anyone who enjoyed the place, it was bloody awful!

Regards,

TNO.

Finningley Boy
11th Mar 2013, 11:08
Hi Night Owl,

Finningley stuck with me ever since my Father took me, along with the rest of the Family of course, to the Battle of Britain At Home day there. I must have been about 20 months old and being in the days of Anti-Flash White V-Bombers was affected in quite a way when the Vulcan Scramble took place. I've never been the same since, and Finningley being not far from home for the most part, meant I grew up with an almost annual trip each September. My father had some 8 mm footage taken in 1966, this ended up in the hands of an uncle when my father passed away. He then got divorced and his ex got all dad's old home movie reels. Since then nobody who could help me as much as borrow it back simply to put on DVD with a chosen sound track, has been at all inclined to do so.:(

FB:)

Sandy Parts
11th Mar 2013, 11:54
Night Owl - I could name many, many, many Airmen Aircrew studes who would disagree with your verdict on t'Finningley! (once you'd got past the AAITC 6 weeks or optional 12 weeks course that is!!!) I loved my time there - but then I was a (relatively) well paid young(ish) singly - Donny Nights - say no more!

charliethedog
11th Mar 2013, 12:35
Best.

Leconfield(pre pongo)
Gutersloh(ditto)
Shawbury

Worst.

Lynham
Dishforth(plods trained there)

WK

dctyke
11th Mar 2013, 12:43
Best base within a base....... 431 MU, great three years and not so many of those silly exercises that the strange folks next door loved so much:E

27mm
11th Mar 2013, 15:04
Best: Abingdon for me - held there on 9AEF with Chippies; tiny station, gorgeous mess and all that Oxonian totty just down the road....:ok:

SimTech67
11th Mar 2013, 15:30
For me if not my liver or wallet

Finningley

Bruggen

smujsmith
11th Mar 2013, 19:31
I suspect that the best tour I ever had was at Abingdon. As part of Oxford UAS, ground crew chaps ! And University Engineering Flight, I worked most weekends, in a job that felt like the local flying club. Managed to accrue some 200 hours, cadged flying, in Bulldog and Chipmunk. And learned to play Bridge to a reasonable standard. On Monday and Tuesday a few of us had some "downtime ?" At local pubs. All very idyllic now, and, often brought back when watching repeats of Inspector Morse.

But if I had to say, that was my best time in the RAF, it would have to be the 6 years I spent as a Hercules Aircraft Ground Engineer. If only for the trust I was given by the professionals who operated the aircraft.

Smudge

PS. 27mm, think you will find it was 6AEF (Chippies)

Samuel
11th Mar 2013, 21:09
It was across the field, passed the staish's quarter, down a farm track, thorough the mounds of the medieval village, through the church yard and thence the pub.

It was indeed, and a wonderful stroll on a summers' evening, and without having to go past the busies on the gate!

sisemen
12th Mar 2013, 01:59
Finningley was good before it stopped being a real RAF base and they put the kindergarten in.

cuefaye
12th Mar 2013, 11:35
Good --

South Cerney
Syerston
Linton
Chivenor
Khormaksar
West Raynham
Muharraq
L Rissington
Valley
Honington
Fairbairn
Brawdy
Bawtry
Cottesmore
Marham
Upavon
And Whitehall!!

Bad --

None

Old Bricks
12th Mar 2013, 11:40
The best...... Gatow. The last bit of the Empire. Berlin on the doorstep, culture, art galleries, orchestral concerts......I believe that some people also indulged in less couth activities involving alcohol and women. Airfield was a bit short of aircraft, but we had lots of appreciative visitors arriving in their aircraft to spend the weekends in search of........something?

Courtney Mil
12th Mar 2013, 11:48
That's a good selection of bases there, cuefaye.

Rocket2
12th Mar 2013, 13:16
For me Benson was the best I did with a tour on 115 Sqn, enjoyable trips every other week or so, superb crews to go along with & a boss that surpassed anyone I had known before or after (thanks DB)

27mm
12th Mar 2013, 15:37
Smudge, sorry mate, you're absolutely right. Fond memories of the boss, Ken Knott - a real gentleman

smujsmith
12th Mar 2013, 16:19
Heh heh, happy days indeed, you must have been at the top of the Loop when you saw the number 9 :ok:

Smudge