PDA

View Full Version : A319 vs BBJ

Grenville Fortescue
5th Mar 2013, 11:49
I would appreciate any informed comments regarding comparisons in operating cost between the A319 and the BBJ and specifically, what is the maximum range that these types, or variants of these types, can offer?

No RYR for me
5th Mar 2013, 12:18
I have not come across any owner who was worried about DOC's for these type of aircraft because let's face it they don't need to worry about it. If they ask the question they cannot pay for it... :oh:

It is down to the purchase price and the size of the cabin. The latter being the taste of the owner more than anything. Re range: call Boeing and Airbus, they have the most reliable info about the aircraft of the competition :8

Grenville Fortescue
5th Mar 2013, 12:48
NRFM - Sorry, but I tend to disagree.

While some (perhaps a handful) private jet buyers could care less about operating and acquisition costs there are far more who are highly conscious about choosing the most cost-effective solution. Its not about the cost but about selecting (and being seen to select) the most cost-effective option within the scope of their requirement.

Individuals/organisations with financial muscle don't always throw their money around with careless abandon and many have fiscal managers who work hard to strain the most out of every buck!

I am looking for comments from those who have experience with these types and especially those who have operated both the A319 and the A320 in corporate configuration.

LGW Vulture
5th Mar 2013, 15:01
Well for a start you would have to judge each and every variant on the same merits. For example, its no good trying to ascertain operating costs for aircraft types that are fundamentally kitted out differently eg. aux tanks, SATCOM extra MTOW. Likewise, one interior will be completely different from another so its never easy to judge given the differing weights.

So, having never operated either type in the commercial role I have asked many friends / colleagues in the airline arena in the past how they judge and analyse both Boeing NG and Airbus before they did their purchasing.

The answer? It is almost a gnats wotsit between them when it comes to operating. So at the end of the day, it was what Boeing offered in terms of pricing against what Airbus offered.

Now if you want to know about costs / quality of completions - then PM me.

Hope that helps.

Phenom 300
5th Mar 2013, 18:14
Maybe this helps...

AIRCRAFT COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS - BBJ - Aviation Articles - AvBuyer.com (http://www.avbuyer.com/articles/detail.asp?Id=1816)

http://e-ditionsbyfry.com/Olive/ODE/WAC/Default.aspx?href=WAC/2010/12/01&pageno=46

Grenville Fortescue
11th Mar 2013, 10:35
Have had some very interesting PM's and for those interested the consensus points towards the BBJ overall.

Some Middle Eastern clients are tending to favour Airbus and one of the comments I heard banded about was "but the 737 is a very old aircraft" and there tends to be a belief that the newer A319/320 series is therefore somehow better - even after you've explained that the 737 has been constantly upgraded.

Then another one - a manager representing a potential client comes up with "the Airbus is higher off the ground and is better for the engines than the 737 and in any case it is higher" (that's a direct quote from an email!).

Before an owner sets up his own operation there are a whole gaggle of people involved, most of them without any formal aviation experience. :ugh:

Thanks for the various PM's and for the heads-up on the Boeing turning up trumps!