PDA

View Full Version : Piaggio Avanti operating costs

hingey
5th Mar 2013, 09:27
Did the usual search but couldn't find what I was looking for...

Anyone kind enough to share their experiences of the Piaggio Avanti? Owners considering a possible upgrade to a faster TP, though I notice there are non on the UK or Manx register. Interested in real world operating costs for private ops and type specific maintenance issues.

Much obliged,

h

HS125
7th Mar 2013, 13:27
Went to a luncheon with Piaggio Aero and their man said their tag line for it is:

1200lbs
1200nm
for $1200/hour.

chevvron
7th Mar 2013, 14:59
They're a bit noisy, especially on final approach, but then it wouldn't bother you if you're up the front.

hingey
7th Mar 2013, 15:45
HS125,

Thanks, did that seem an honest estimate or a marketing figure?

As long as the noise is on the outside I don't think the boss would mind :ok:

h

silverknapper
7th Mar 2013, 22:10
Ask around about support. From what I hear its not great. 2 separate owners have told me some tales of woe.

CEQforever
8th Mar 2013, 07:59
The Avanti is also very close to being banned from airports like Cannes due to noise issues. Unfortunately they'll have to bow to public pressure eventually as it's the aircraft that generates the most noise complaints there....

HS125
11th Mar 2013, 00:25
Sadly it's probably true about noise, I'm afraid most airfields in neighborhoods like Cannes are mainly inhabited by wankers as far as the non airfield users go.

It all seemed rather feasible, The details they had all seemed to add up. I think the holes in the strategy are probably the fat that the quality of the service is probably inversely proportional to your distance from a service centre; and, personally my question would be why don't you bin the gearboxes and props as a maintenance concern in favor of more performance unless you need the field performance of a TP.... It seems to be a very nice and capable aircraft though.

hingey
11th Mar 2013, 13:06
Thanks everyone for your responses.

We never really go to Cannes, though Toulon would be a regular jaunt. When asked what a suitable aircraft would be I suggested a CJ2, but the boss is a very tall chap and said he got claustrophobic in a Citation. So really it's the speed and cabin size combination which makes the Avanti a contender. $1200 is pretty much in line with my expectations for how much the next aircraft will cost to run. Will have to do some more digging into MX support though. Anyone know the name of the company at Biggin which looks after Avanti's?

h