PDA

View Full Version : Elk/moose aerial survey equipment?

twistair
5th Mar 2013, 06:21
Such a simple question to you gents: which infrared cameras do you use for elk/moose aerial recon/survey?
We're now preparing for such operations over small enough territories (within hundreds of square kilometers), semi woodland areas. This would be our first experience in this operation. We're mostly interested in lightweight equip. since it would be used in our small gyroplane (http://safari-hunt.ru/photo/CID_25.html)

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Gordy
5th Mar 2013, 07:36
MK 1 eyeball

topendtorque
5th Mar 2013, 07:42
MK 1 eyeball

Second that,

No equipment yet invented can recognize individual animals, did you see that one before or not?

Adroight
5th Mar 2013, 08:23
If you are just counting numbers of live animals that are difficult to spot with the Mk1 eyeball due to background/camouflage then an IR camera is the only way to go. I don't know much about the technical aspects of the cameras themselves but I have completed surveys of marine mammals along shorelines that would otherwise have been impossible to count without the IR. With IR you can't miss them.

twistair
5th Mar 2013, 15:48
You guys rock :ok: It took whole dozen minutes for poor foreigner to chew out what this mysterious Mk.1 device is :ugh:

To be serious IR equipment is used for wild animal survey for decades. I'm just trying to find out which are commonly used nowadays.

9Aplus
5th Mar 2013, 17:44
No cheap solution.... SAR IR scanner 600-800.000 USD
Fit on standard camera port,.... giro :=

hookes_joint
6th Mar 2013, 23:04
Cloud Cap Technologies have some fantastic lightweight gyro stabilized gimbals. We rented a SD-IR camera for our 206 that weighed 12lbs for powerline and Gas pipe inspections. Have used a few IR cameras since and all were well heavier. Great people over there at Cloud Cap.

twistair
7th Mar 2013, 08:53
Looks this is 'zactly what I'm looking for, thanks!
Their TASE-200 weighs less than couple kilogramms - a real windfall for our ultralight bird.