PDA

View Full Version : Air Niugini Career Progression

RexBanner
4th Mar 2013, 18:11
This is just to ask the method for promotion in Air Niugini onto a new fleet. For example for an FO who is rated on the Q400 joining the company would you be eligible for promotion onto the 737/767 after sufficient time or would locals be preferred to you regardless of your respective seniority? And what kind of timeframe would be typical? I'm trying to figure out if it would be a worthwhile career move realistically in order to get some valuable jet time. If anyone could shine any light on this topic it would be most appreciated thanks.

Night Beetle
4th Mar 2013, 19:10
Ah yes. Looking for the quick trip to the the top.
What about committment and dedication.
What about those already working there?
How would you feel if someone swoops in from another place ahead of the others.
Apply,get asked to an interview get accepted and start.

What? no promotion where you are at now.

Good luck.

RexBanner
4th Mar 2013, 19:14
Hey it's a simple and perfectly reasonable question that I asked. I think I made it perfectly clear that I was asking within the bounds of seniority. I'm not talking about screwing anyone over I am simply asking how long it takes in order to make a considered career decision. I am not buying any type rating to get ahead, I am already rated with 1500 hours on type on the Q400. And no, there is no career progression where I am due to layoffs.

Stiff Under Carriage
4th Mar 2013, 20:29
Night Beetle, your attitude and assumption is the reason this industry can be miserable place. Every out to get each other, you assume the worse in a honest question. It is extremely valid to know where your next decision will take you financially and how long it might take. Seeing as this industry generally requires you to go backwards everytime you make a change. The likes of your comment make it unpleasant to do homework.

ad-astra
4th Mar 2013, 20:55
Worked at PX for a long time and it was a great time!
Seniority prevailed but the Nationals had the ability to jump frog when their experience levels were sufficient. I believe that has changed somewhat to a more staight line list.

In any case a great bunch of guys (of which I can guarantee Night Beetle is not one of) and I am sure one of the more current guys will give you the current info that you seek.

Have a look at the resigination rate and have a look at the return rate ( three times for some) and it will help explain why it is a sought after opportunity.

The only beetles there are in Goroka and they close the aerodrome to facilitate the Beetle hunting activites of the locals.
The Notam reads as such!

PPRuNe could do with such a policy.

NCD
4th Mar 2013, 21:23
Progression within ANG is generally seniority based.

Someone joining as a FO either on the Classic Dash, Q400 or F100 should expect his/her next position to be a Classic Dash Captain (although Q400 command is possible if demand is there) then either Q400 or F100 Captain.

The move to the 737 and 767 requires command time on the F100 and then it would be initially to a FO position.

Not too sure how quickly you want to get "valuable jet time" but the trek to the 737/767 is not an "overnight" task.

Take this as very much a generalisation as to what presently happens there, but it should give you an idea of how they work the progression.

RexBanner
4th Mar 2013, 21:32
Thanks that makes it a bit clearer. Wasn't sure if you would work your way through the fleet as an FO before gaining your command which is basically how it's supposed to work where I currently am.

Unusual-Attitude
4th Mar 2013, 22:35
'National precedence' is still reserved as a right, (and is in the contract), but in practical terms, won't effect to any significant degree, your path to the hallowed jet fleet.

The fleet as a whole, is expanding quickly, with more Dash's, more 73's and (supposedly), a 78 arriving next year.

It's a good time to be in PX. :ok:

The pilot group has some great characters, reminiscent of a bygone age...:E

Night Beetle
4th Mar 2013, 23:38
Maybe I should have taken a softer approach.

Some research on Pprune will answer most of your questions and if not some of the regular ppruners will be able to help either on forum or privately:ok:

Desert Budgie
5th Mar 2013, 04:40
I asked this question in the interview.

5-6 years according to the upper echelons. To get onto the F100 that is, the Boeings are a different kettle if fish.

They explained:
Dash Classic or Q400 FO
Dash Classic Command
Q400 Command
F100 Command

They explained it would be unlikely that you would fly the F100 as a first officer, as new hires bounce around the Dash fleets for the first few years.

Another management pilot explained to me that progression is quite slow when wanting off the Dash, and almost unheard of onto the Boeings as it is cheaper for the airline to hire a direct entry onto each fleet. For example, if someone leaves the 737 fleet, they replace them with a Fokker 100 pilot, who in turn is replaced by a Q400 pilot, who is replaced by a Classic pilot, who is replaced by a new hire. That is 5 type ratings if upgrading from within. If they direct hire onto a specific fleet it is cheaper as they only have to pay for one.

That's what I was told last week anyway, and appears to be backed up by the advertisements online for crew to fly specific fleets and not just for the Dash classic.

Cheers

DB:cool:

DeltaT
6th Mar 2013, 22:36
Is the Dash the only type with crews based in Auz, and other crews based in PNG?

Jobear
7th Mar 2013, 11:43
DB speaks the truth.

DB I hope all went well with the interview? Let us know when you hear word.

Anyone recce a good spot in Brisbane and I hope the typhoon isn't knocking anyone about to much.

Cheers,
jobear

Waghi Warrior
7th Mar 2013, 13:09
Falcon Position?

So the PNG government still have Air Niugini operate it?

I wonder if the Post Courier, National and EMTV read this forum? Is it in hiding off shore out of sight of olgeta man and meri!

Maybe a letter to the drum might be appropriate.

Lukim.

Desert Budgie
7th Mar 2013, 15:42
Hi Jobear,

Just curious, how long ago did you interview?

NCD
7th Mar 2013, 18:03
Wagging Warriior

The Post Courier made some mention suggesting it was returning a few months ago.

vee tail
9th Mar 2013, 10:08
Wow am I back in 215. Falcon rumours. It's a sneaky little sucker. I miss that room😕:mad:
Not many places where you can burp and fart a tell it like it is.