PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some flying friends NSW

spernkey
3rd Mar 2013, 21:40
Hello folks. After many years slogging away making a living in the UK it looks like i will be coming to an arrangement at work where i take 2/3 months away each year around May/June/July.
I used to travel a lot as a youngster but never did much in Oz at all i am afraid to say. Last year i spent a month or so flying out of Tyabb with an instructor as i havent converted my licence! I have 1200 vfr hours on Cessnas and less than a hundred hours on Robbos, 22 and 44. Anyway, i got the bug for Australia and after a bit of research i have decided to come back and spend some time in NSW - just not at the hottest time of year!
I intend to buy a camper van and a Cessna (or a share?) to use over the next few years out there and travel and fly as much as possible, just with plenty of time near a friendly airfield. I tend to like the quieter out of town fields and dont think Bankstown would be for me.
So i am looking for a couple of bits of advice for which pprune is always good.
1. Any idea of which airfields i might research? i suppose anything along the lines of Camden might be good, maintenance on site, aircraft hire, a few hours builders around to come and fly with me, maybe a cafe on site?
2. Bit vague this but i might need a bit of an "Aviation" friend on an airfield out there or an obliging airfield owner who could perhaps store the van and look out for my plane for the bulk of the time i am away. An engineer perhaps with a bit of space to spare in return for some money and goodwill? I leave my Cessna in the uk with a flying school for example to keep the engine sweet through the winter when i dont fly so much. Works well.
Any contacts/advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
S.B.

ejectx3
3rd Mar 2013, 22:45
Best post in GA forum too mate.

Jack Ranga
4th Mar 2013, 01:37
Have a look at Bathurst mate, beautiful small city (pop about 32,000). About 2 hours drive to Sydney if you want a city visit. V8 Supercars later in the year as a nice distraction :E

The Green Goblin
4th Mar 2013, 03:10
If you want to do some awesome flying in a decent place to live that's coastal, you can't beat Geraldton WA.

Jack Ranga
4th Mar 2013, 04:11
He's after NSW locations Gobba

jcr737
4th Mar 2013, 06:27
Hi SB,

Check out Wollongong (YWOL). About 1.5 hours south of Sydney, plenty of parking for both your van & Cessna. Two sealed runways, great on-site restaurant, flying school, aviation museum (full of engineers) and the State Fire Brigade, Rural Fire Service & Ambulance Helicopter operate from the field. These services have staff coming & going 24/7, so it is a fairly secure location.

You'll find plenty of helpful people there, it's an uncontrolled airfield (CTAF) and is situated in a country setting with the coast just a few miles to the east.

Check out this link:

Home (http://www.illawarraregionalairport.com.au/default.aspx?WebPage=1)

Good luck

The Green Goblin
4th Mar 2013, 07:16
I was offering a better alternative Ranga.

The further away from Sydney and NSW one can get, the happier one will be :)

Jack Ranga
4th Mar 2013, 08:24
Mate, he'll have to fly 3 hours to the nearest town :sad:

RENURPP
4th Mar 2013, 09:12
I was offering a better alternative Ranga.

The further away from Sydney and NSW one can get, the happier one will be
The most enjoyable part of visiting Harare east (Perth) or any part of WA are the 100kt+ tailwinds to get out of the joint.

Spernkey
I haven't visited these places for 20yrs or so but Maitland, luskintyre or maybe Cessnock might suit? Some one with recent knowledge might like to comment.

The Green Goblin
4th Mar 2013, 09:57
Says the fella living in Darwin hahahahaha

RENURPP
4th Mar 2013, 10:19
Plenty of opportunities to move to Weird Aus, simply would not do it.

truthinbeer
4th Mar 2013, 20:29
I second what RENURRP said;
Spernkey
I haven't visited these places for 20yrs or so but Maitland, luskintyre or maybe Cessnock might suit? Some one with recent knowledge might like to comment.

Flyer517
5th Mar 2013, 01:40
And Cessnock / Matiland is right in the Hunter Valley winery region. Can't get better than that! :ok:

spernkey
10th Mar 2013, 18:25
Thanks for the help with those locations, i am starting to research them more now so as to save time when i arrive.

The aviation community just about has to be the friendliest/most helpful group, and this forum is always the best place to start when you do something new, so thanks everyone.

I have enough to work on to get started but may come back with some specific questions nearer the time.

Cheers, SB