PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances?

Jsd
3rd Mar 2013, 01:36
Firstly I appreciate this may be a commonly asked question but I've done a lot of searches and still not got an answer.

I have recently started doing my ppl and I'm now really considering my options for cpl/ATPL however my history is not great and I don't want to spend a lot of money training for a job which I may not realistically be employed.

I left school after doing gcse's and didn't get great grades and from there went straight into work so no further education. I eventually started my own business and have been doing that for the last few years-it's doing ok and pays for my living but flying is what I would love to do. I'm 26 so I figure I'm not too old to do it. However the main problem is a conviction.

Long story short I got in a scrap one evening and someone ended up with a broken jaw. The conviction was s.20 GBH and a 6 month suspended sentence.
Not good.
Anyways that won't become spent for another 5 years (7 total) so my question is;

Even when this becomes spent, would I be able to get an airside pass? I know it's not possible currently as its on the list of exclusions. Secondly do you automatically need an airside pass for any commercial work or only airline transport? Finally does my lack of further education rule me out?

I appreciate I'm not painting a great picture of myself but these are the facts and if its not going to be a realistic possibility for me I'd rather know now, put it out of my mind and just enjoy my ppl.

Thanks in advance.

bex88
3rd Mar 2013, 09:07
For every airline I have had the pleasure of working for criminal record checks are conducted. For a airside pass you have to provide references for the last 5 years minimum.

I sold my business at 25 and did my training and it worked out for me but I know of several of my colleagues who are now bankrupt because of the loan repayments and low wages at some carriers. I am really sorry to say it but I honestly think in this climate you would struggle. If it were me I would at least wait until the conviction has lapsed because no company will entertain it in my opinion.

I mean this in the warmest sense

redsnail
3rd Mar 2013, 09:27
What may be of concern is whether or not other countries will allow you a visa.
I don't know how long the exclusion period is, but if you end up in a long haul airline, the US etc may not be too happy about your "past".

Good luck

redsnail
3rd Mar 2013, 11:28
The US does not have such a system of 'spent' convictions. Therefore, it doesn't matter how long ago the offence was committed, you must declare it if you're applying for a visa.

Other countries aren't quite as strict, Australia generally has 10 years but it's better to declare than not. (Crew or otherwise).

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, Spent Convictions and the VWP | Visa Services, U.S. Embassy London (http://www.usembassy.org.uk/visaservices/?p=136)

mad_jock
3rd Mar 2013, 11:39
And if you don't declare it you become a fellon and you have a criminal record in two countries and banned from ever setting foot on American soil for life.

redsnail
3rd Mar 2013, 12:58
Of course it's not an automatic refusal, but it is important to be aware that other countries have different rules for convictions.

One very important lesson for this career, "never assume". :)

Good luck.

Jsd
3rd Mar 2013, 22:40
Thanks for all the replies! So it would seem its not so much the conviction causing issues with employment but being able to get into other countries like the USA. I would definitely not fail to disclose anything because being caught would make things a whole lot worse. On the other hand, say I had dual citizenship with another North American country and if travelling to the USA I always used my other passport. Do you think that would cause an issue?

Thanks in advance