PDA

View Full Version : VC10 cocktail made in a bar on New York's 144th Street. But which Bar?

Hueymeister
2nd Mar 2013, 13:53
A mucker of mine who until recently flew the Vickers Fun Bus is in New York and remembers seeing reference to a VC 10 cocktail in Swift, Silent, Superb, but he can't remember the name of the bar. He's in the Big Apple and wants to visit..a pilgrimage maybe!? Anyone help?:ok:

BEagle
2nd Mar 2013, 14:27
According to the book:

It was in the United States that the VC10 gained its street credibility. A bar on New York West's 44th Street produced the Super VC10 Cocktail - half a jigger of Cointreau, six drops of Creme de Cacao, two jiggers of brandy and a sprig of mint. It was shaken and served, julep-style, over cracked ice.

Unfortunately the name of the bar is not stated.

D120A
2nd Mar 2013, 14:31
A good excuse, surely, to try them all? :ok:

Dan Winterland
2nd Mar 2013, 14:38
Might be trying that in September.

Hueymeister
2nd Mar 2013, 15:11
Thanks Beags

Albert Driver
2nd Mar 2013, 19:53
The Super (and Standard :o) ) VC10 crews stayed on East 52nd St in those days. I doubt it was West 44th St. They would never have made it back to the hotel after a few of those. More likely one of the watering holes on Lexington like McAnns. Whether that's related to the present McAnns over 5th Ave way I don't know - but he could always pretend....

BEagle
2nd Mar 2013, 19:59
According to Silent, Swift, Superb it was most certainly on West 44th St.

This was in airline days, not a trucky watering hole.

RetiredBA/BY
2nd Mar 2013, 20:06
In my BA days on the VC 10 the crew hotel was the Berkshire so guess the bar wasn't far. (staggering distance ) from there !!

Albert Driver
2nd Mar 2013, 20:16
Exactly so. Madison at 52nd.

Albert Driver
2nd Mar 2013, 22:25
The BOAC town offices used to be at 245 Park Avenue, which is 46th St, and the local staff had their own rather nice bar, the Speedbird Club, up around the 30th floor. It was probably something they concocted, although I certainly never heard of it in the time I spent there.

It sure wasn't a crew thing.
The Greenback was serious hard currency back then. Even the North Atlantic Barons spent their New York allowances carefully on local beers in a handful of nearby bars and restaurants, where we negotiated big discounts, and the next day in Korvettes store which was full of things that were still impossible to get at home. Anything left over was taken home as a welcome boost to our Government Prices-and-Incomes-Policy-controlled salaries.

Anyone who was partial to Cointreau, Creme de Cacao and brandy (heaven help them) would have waited and bought it with kwachas or shillingi on the next trip.....:ok:

jack stone
6th Mar 2013, 20:08
According to the April 1965 BOAC Review, the cocktail was created by The Berkeley Room, a bar on New York’s West 44th St, in anticipation of the Super VC10’s debut between London and New York on 1 April 1965.

Co-incidently we dished out a few copies of the ingredients - along with a pic of a young lady sampling said cocktail - at last week's RAeS VickTen get-together at Brooklands. Sadly the clubhouse bar wasn't able to rustle one up for us though...

Jhieminga
11th Mar 2013, 17:12
Hmm, just wondering but is that pic of said young lady sampling the cocktail suitable for publication? No it's not my dirty mind talking, I'd actually like to use if for my VC10 site if I could.... really!

Axel-Flo
20th Sep 2013, 16:20
Watched the last landings at Brize today of 147 and 150...... Nice formation of course but we'd obviously have liked to have them lower and noisier of course....... BZ to the crews of course regardless. dinner tonight and we will try and make the cocktails again...OBTW...yes we followed the recipe and had them made in the cocktail bar in Grand Central Station...powerful? He'll Yeah....
Really looking forward to tonight now....:ok: