PDA

View Full Version : looking for resident glider tug pilot position 2013

MichaelPL
2nd Mar 2013, 10:15
Hello.

I did think quite a while on which forum I should post it, I do hope it is the right one.

My name is Michael, I come from Poland, had just finished my CPL. However, the job market being what it is, and myself being strongly opposed to the P2F madness going on around, I am looking for alternative routes. Currently I am in southern Africa, tried to score a bush flying job here, but arrived too late.

So now I am just looking for a way to build my hours and gain more experience. Given my glider background the best option that comes to mind is to find a gliding club in need of a resident tuggie. Here is where I would ask for your assistance.

I would very much appreciate it if anyone who knows about a busy gliding club that might need a resident tuggie for the season let me know. I contacted Booker and Lasham in the UK til now, and they already got their tuggies for 2013. Any help appreciated.

I have 210h TT on powered aircraft, of which over 60h tailwheel (PA18 and AN2), 63h TT on gliders, ICAO glider pilots licence and Silver C. I've worked in the UK and Norway, can provide both work and flying references.

Thank you very much in advance.

mary meagher
2nd Mar 2013, 21:59
Try Deeside Gliding Club, near Aboyne, in Scotland. Challenging conditions in the wave near the Cairngorn Mountains. Possibly also Black Mountains Gliding Club in Wales. Both these places are airtow only. Clubs that also offer winch launches don't have much work for tuggies, so local guys usually do the tugging. Also, could you cross the Atlantic? very few gliding clubs over there do winching, so there may be opportunity but don't know whether the US welcomes European pilots these days. Get in touch with the Soaring Society of America for answers....

Good luck!

MichaelPL
3rd Mar 2013, 14:58
Thank you very much for your reply Mary. Just sent emails to both Deeside and Black Mountains. Crossing my fingers.
I'd like to go to the States for a while, but there might be the visa issue - they are mandatory for Polish citizens. I will try to get in touch with them and ask, thanks for the tip.

snapper1
3rd Mar 2013, 18:12
Deeside had two Polish tug pilots last year - Pavel and Majek. They were both excellent. Good luck.