PDA

View Full Version : Type rating C525 (Co-pilot restriction) and EASA

andr_01
1st Mar 2013, 15:11
Hi

I have a type rating on Cessna 525 with a co-pilot restriction meaning that I’m only able to fly it from the right seat. I did this rating when I got my first job as a F/O and did all the training in the company aircraft including thefinal check from right seat. This is a “national deviation” which was accepted from the authorities. C525 is a SP certified aircraft and can be flown by one pilot when operating private but need a multi crew if operating commercial.

Nowadays I’m flying part-time for a private operator (still C525). Their policy is to always have 2 pilots when flying people from the company.

The new EASA regulation states that my rating with co-pilot restriction will no longer be valid after 8th April since it’s a “national deviation” (There is no "co-pilot" C525 rating). To have a valid C525 rating after 8th April I must have done a new flight test as PIC. Therefore:

1. I need to do a new flight test from left seat as PIC in multi crew environment and in a simulator if I’m planning to continue work in commercial operations as P2.

or,

2. I need to do a new flight test from left seat as PIC in the aircraft and get a SP type rating C525. This will restrict me from flying in commercial operations since it’s not done in the simulator and in multi crew environment. (This option will suit me best in my current situation since I will be able to log P1)

Have I understood this right, any experts out there? What do EASA say about doing option 1 in the aircraft instead of simulator? Is a simulator test a requirement for commercial operations?

Also wondering if it is possible to log P2 somehow if two pilots flying a SP certified aircraft (both having SP type rating and MCC) in private operations without an AOC? Are there any special permissions/exceptions that can be applied for showing that we are actually flying in a multi crew environment? (We are actually following strictly my previous company OM)

sovereign680
1st Mar 2013, 21:12
Well you do not have a type rating. I.a.w. EASA /JAR you have a class rating.
The CE-525 series is a FAR 23 / JAR 23 aircraft. All part 23 aircraft are single pilot aircraft( you got it right that there is no co pilot rating in part 23 aircraft)
For a couple of years some European CAA issued sic class ratings for part 23 aircrafts but after a while even they figured that is not possible.
I do not know what they are going to do.
But I hope they will put a stop to questionable minimum on aircraft training if the operation requires two pilots both should be qualified to fly the aircraft.
My personal opinion (after 8000 hours and more than 2700 hours on CE-525) is that simulator training should be mandatory since one day a co pilots becomes captain in this " end of the food chain" operations .And of course all checks have been passed in the aircraft. But one day they crash in a situation you can hardly train in the aircraft! (Happened and it most likely will happen again)

Pressure Error
1st Mar 2013, 23:54
Google the EASA type certification for the CJ4, this document states the wording to be added to the Type rating if tested as multi crew ops, and even states that the multi pilot test profile is more applicable to the aircraft? it's the same C525 rating so I don't see how your restriction isn't valid as long as the wording is correct.

I understood the 525 class rating became a type under EASA and CRE/CRI's became TRE/TRI's

The logging of P2 is valid if required by the operational conditions that the flight is conducted under, it does not specifically say an AOC.

andr_01
2nd Mar 2013, 11:41
I've heard that simulator is a mandatory skill test from EASA after 8th. The pilot has to make the skill test from left seat (as PIC) in multi-crew operation.I was hoping that someone here could confirm this.

Co-pilot rating does not really exist, it's just a deviation approved from the authority which will disappear as a reslut of the new EASA regulations, hence my rating will be invalid.

"If required by the operational conditions that the flight is conducted under" for example?

tommoutrie
2nd Mar 2013, 14:33
I think the CE525, EMB500 etc are types. They are types within a class, sure, but they are types.

As far as I know (may well have changed as its a while since I flew either of these) the rating in JAR/EASA land was always a single pilot rating. There wasnt a way to issue anything else. What was commonly restricted, however, was the IR (it was issued as a multi pilot IR). This could be lifted by doing a renewal as single pilot and having a single pilot IR issued.

If you hold a single pilot IR issed in a 525 (or EMB500 etc) then you can also operate multi crew - its in the standards document for CRI/E's.

well I think thats the case anyway...