PDA

View Full Version : Captain (soon to be Commodore) Richard Farrington CBE RN

Wander00
1st Mar 2013, 13:54
I have just read in The Times that Captain Richard Farrington is to be promoted Commodore later this month. He will be remembered as Captain of HMS Nottingham when it went aground off Lord Howe Island in 2002, for which he was CM'd and Reprimanded. I just wanted to say I was delighted to see that he had been promoted as after the incident I twice attended his lecture on the circumstances of the stranding and the recovery of the ship. He was also guest speaker at a Trafalgar Night Dinner at Royal Lymington Yacht Club. Where does this connect with military aircrew you may ask - well it is because the aftermath of the grounding was an example of preparedness, courage (several of the crew were decorated for their bravery and resourcefulness in saving the ship), pre-planning and above all LEADERSHIP. So, I am delighted to read of Richard Farrington's promotion and I hope others will join Mrs W and me in wishing him well in his new appointment.

Old-Duffer
1st Mar 2013, 14:09
I join you and Mrs W and I salute the soon to be commodore.

After the accident, his comments and humility were outstanding and he never sought to shirk the blame. His personal actions are said to have probably saved the ship. It was wonderful to learn that he had been promoted captain a few years after and I often wondered what had happened to him subsequently - great news.

Old Duffer

salad-dodger
1st Mar 2013, 15:09
^^^^^
All of what O-D said. I remember him being interviewed after the incident.

S-D

Haraka
1st Mar 2013, 16:27
Good to see, well done all round.

I did see comments years ago that in the R.N. dinging a ship was one sure way to get noticed!

Genstabler
1st Mar 2013, 17:42
And how pleasant to see complimentary comments being made about a senior officer on Pprune for a change. Well done Sir.

Union Jack
1st Mar 2013, 18:09
Well done indeed!:ok:

Story here for those not previously aware of it:

Commander 'who ran aground' revealed to be ship's saviour - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1404113/Commander-who-ran-aground-revealed-to-be-ships-saviour.html)

Jack

Rosevidney1
1st Mar 2013, 18:49
The great Admiral Chester Nimitz also was court martialed for a similar accident as a junior officer.

500N
1st Mar 2013, 19:20
I remember when this happened, was always impressed
by what he said to the media.

Good to hear it didn't ruin his career totally.